Topic: N(to me)GD

So, I found a Takamine GS330S advertised on CL.  They're $300 new and the seller was only asking $75.  The town was only 40 miles away, so I took a chance.

The guitar is a solid cedar top with laminated sides and back and it looked great.  No dings, no scratches, nice satin finish.  Beautiful tone from the cedar top.  More of a mellow sound than my Fender spruce top.  I fell in love and took her home.

Once home, I noticed the saddle was almost non-existent.  Took it to a local (60 miles the opposite direction - gotta love Iowa) shop and discovered it really needed some work.  The neck was a little underset, but I didn't have them fix that as it wasn't worth the cost.  Adjusted the neck relief, did some fret work, shimmed the saddle, cleaned the fretboard, and put on new strings.  $150 and a week later, I had her back.

Just goes to show, if something seems to be too good to be true, it probably is.  I figure I'm still a little ahead of full retail and I'm really enjoying getting to know her.

Sorry no pics, yet.  I'll try.

Scott
Philippians 3:13, 14
Takamine GS330S

Re: N(to me)GD

If it sounds good and plays good to you,then you made out.If not,think of it as a learning experience.That`s how I learned to figure out what not to buy.Keep mental notes of what was wrong with this one when you look at another one.Better yet write it down and make a checklist.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

That's one of the models I've had my eye on.  Great sounding guitar.  Much more mellow than the spruce topped guitars.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Let's see if this works.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-n9L-1_z0Y_M/TtbWrdd4WAI/AAAAAAAAA-Y/BFJmU-X4EXc/s1024/SD531027.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-EpaL1ApAAbY/TtbWrYfVgOI/AAAAAAAAA-c/lUUoHTJhTro/s1024/SD531028.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-SSC2Cop8O7M/TtbWrwQW88I/AAAAAAAAA-o/BYHY7_bmqlY/s1024/SD531029.JPG

Thanks to mekidsmom for the photo insert instructions.

Scott
Takamine GS330S

Nice!!!! Love the satin and it's not fancy. Like Joey said, if you like it then it was worth it.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I like it as z says it is not fancy,it has a.nice clean look about it. I think you did well.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Very nice!

That`s a great guitar.You made it sound like a piece of junk ready for the fireplace.You definitely made out.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

That`s a great guitar.You made it sound like a piece of junk ready for the fireplace.You definitely made out.

I'm sorry if I gave that impression.  I think it is in great shape.  That's why I was so excited about getting it so inexpensively.  I didn't even notice the saddle was sanded way down until a few days after I got it home.  It was only about 1/16 of an inch above the bridge with almost no string break so I took it in to be looked over.

When the tech called back and said the neck was underset my heart dropped.  A $300 guitar is not worth the cost of a neck reset.  Then he told me it was only off a little and probably wouldn't really give me trouble for 10 or 15 years.  I can live with that.  The other work, shimming the saddle and the fret work, I felt was reasonably priced and I'm happy with the work he did.

Overall I didn't get quite the deal I thought at first but I'm happy with the guitar and I still paid less than full retail.  I love the sound and the simplicity of the appearance of the guitar.  I've found I also prefer satin to gloss finish.

Scott
Takamine GS330S

Nice looking guitar and although not the bargain you initially thought it is still a good price and you have the satifaction of knowing that it set up perfectly and will give you many years great service.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Two questions:
1, What does "underset" mean? I've not come accross that term before. Sounds a bit serious though.
2, Why is it a problem only having the saddle 1/16 above the bridge? I've got a guitar that is a bit like that. in fact the guy that sets my guitars up for me actually sanded the bridge in front of the saddle so the srtrings missed it and the guitar sounds and plays great.
Just interested that's all.

"We cannot hold a torch to light another's path without brightening our own." (Ben Sweetland)

Greatbigdave wrote:

Two questions:
1, What does "underset" mean? I've not come accross that term before. Sounds a bit serious though.
2, Why is it a problem only having the saddle 1/16 above the bridge? I've got a guitar that is a bit like that. in fact the guy that sets my guitars up for me actually sanded the bridge in front of the saddle so the srtrings missed it and the guitar sounds and plays great.

A couple of articles from the Frets.com site that helped me to understand a little better.
1. http://frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Gu … angle.html
2. http://frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Gu … dle01.html

Scott
Takamine GS330S

Greatbigdave wrote:

I think this is a bad thing. If your saddle is too short your strings don't have enough down pressure. Other problems can come from that. The info is in the 2nd link srpetty posted.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah. My bridge has string ramps cut into it which explains why it works okay even with a low saddle. Nice information there everyone thanks for the help. There is always something new to learn. I think that's one of the reasons why the guitar is such a wonderful thing to practice. And also why this is such a great website.

"We cannot hold a torch to light another's path without brightening our own." (Ben Sweetland)

Very nice looking guitar!  I've stayed away from Takamine because of the mellow sound.  I like to hear a bit more ring when I play... but then... that whole attitude could be changing as time does.  I'm thinking, if my guitar were miked, I might prefer a more mellow sound.  It's a really great looking guitar and I'm glad my instructions helped you to post your pics!

Good for you getting it for such a low price.  I do hope that the neck doesn't give you any issues! 

HAPPY NGD!

Amy

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.