1 (edited by naolslager 2011-12-01 21:34:12)

Topic: I don't care who "signed" the guitar!

I simply do not get this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARTIN-000-15-M … 856wt_1377

I would not pay one penny for this guitar or any other where some blockhead (famous or not) took a Sharpie to it.

I suppose some clamor for this kind of stuff but not me. No thanks!
dj

p.s. Autographing a guitar is morally wrong. Would you let someone sign a fine piece of furniture?

Re: I don't care who "signed" the guitar!

hey nao,I would let alot of people like Eric Clapton,Bob Dylan ,James Taylor. Willie and James Taylor sign my guitar,as well as anyone here at the forum. We all have our views on the subject. Sharpie up if we ever cross paths.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino48,
I don't write in books either. I was taught "you NEVER write in books". So now I read on a Kindle (e-reader) where I cannot "write" on the book if I wanted. Although I can still highlight and add marginalia and such Sharpie-free (electronically).

If we met I may like you but I would not let you have a go at my guitar with a Sharpie, #2 pencil, or crayon, etc.:)
dj

I would much rather sign boobs, anytime.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

^ I truly Laughed Out Load Toots - Me TOO!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

u kidding!  I would love to have my guitar signed by some wone who counts! It would be clear coated and then put on a wall! Of course it would have to be a legend to count.  B.B. King, Paige, Kirk,, etc.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

beamer wrote:

u kidding!  I would love to have my guitar signed by some wone who counts! It would be clear coated and then put on a wall! Of course it would have to be a legend to count.  B.B. King, Paige, Kirk,, etc.

Therein lies the rub: You get a hero to sign that guitar and to preserve the sig you dont use the guitar again. I would rather have them sign a pic so I can still use the guitar.

I am in full and absolute agreement with Toots.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

The funny thing about that ebay listing is that it claims the guitar is NEW.  I must believe if it was NEW then Martin would be selling it themselves or have it in their museum, not some yahoo on ebay.  For the guitar to be NEW that means this guy bought it, and had people sign it and never played it at all.  I just don't believe it.

This past summer, some lady had backstage passes to a performance, got the signature from whoever the famous singer was (I think it was the guy from Korn maybe, I don't really listen to that stuff myself), drove straight to my husband's tattoo shop and paid my husband to tattoo a copy of the signature on her body.  I don't think it gets any more strange than that.  I'd rather my guitar be sharpied than my body tattooed with a signature.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I took a Sharpie to the Shenandoah River Jam last July with full intentions of having folks taking it to Ol' Reliable.  I just forgot.  There was a blind kid named Tate from a super-friendly and kind country family who played Ol' Reliable at a campfire like she'd never been played before, and I'd like to have had his signature.  I'm going to go toss a Sharpie into Ol' Reliable's gig bag right now.  To me, it would be like collecting memories.   

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Excuse my ignorance but what the heck is a Sharpie?

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

its like a magic marker or a big felt pen smile

Roger Guppy wrote:

Excuse my ignorance but what the heck is a Sharpie?

Roger

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Funny but that is one of the band names I came up with: Sharpie and the Highlighters":)

Signing the old campfire beater would be a good idea, but for me not on a keeper unless the autograph

would by me an even better axe if sold. Toots is speaking from experience I would say!

Our intuitions serve us well

14 (edited by Phill Williams 2011-12-02 23:07:43)

so a sharpie is a big felt pen, so why didn't dj call it a felt pen so we less educated across da pond would know what you're talking about?

i was beginning to think toots was a bit of a sadist wanting to take some sharp implement to some sweet lady's software!

and i also think amy was right, if you buy an instrument, whether or not you play it, it is then 2nd hand. and who'd want a guitar signed by someone who hadn't actually played it?

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Phill Williams wrote:

so a sharpie is a big felt pen, so why didn't dj call it a felt pen so we less educated across da pond would know what you're talking about?

phill

Sharpies are much more than a standard vanilla felt pen - they are the go to permanent marker. So very superior to the standard "magic marker" I grew up with as a kid. Pretty much anytime you see an athlete signing anything, he is doing it with a Sharpie. The name has become synonymous with a permanent writing instrument much like Vaseline is the common name for petroleum jelly or Kleenex is to tissue paper.

http://alysegshc.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/sharpie-shapes.jpg

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

topdown wrote:
Phill Williams wrote:

phill

Sharpies are much more than a standard vanilla felt pen - they are the go to permanent marker. So very superior to the standard "magic marker" I grew up with as a kid. Pretty much anytime you see an athlete signing anything, he is doing it with a Sharpie. The name has become synonymous with a permanent writing instrument much like Vaseline is the common name for petroleum jelly or Kleenex is to tissue paper.

http://alysegshc.files.wordpress.com/20 … shapes.jpg

I like all the sharpies topdown has on his post,lots of weapons there.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

A rose by any other name is still a rose smile if its a punk band name may I suggest Clymidia lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"