Topic: wots the best chords for rockabilly

wots the best chords for rockabilly its a style i really like

Re: wots the best chords for rockabilly

hi lee, welcome to chordie.

i've normally found that rockabilly songs focus on just 2 chords, which chords they are depend on the writer and what key feels best. try A to E, if you'd prefer try C to G or D to A or even G to D. they're probably the easiest chords to play. but at the end of the day, it's up to you. most singers will change key to suit themselves any way.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Lee, depending on which era of rockabilly you're listening to, you could find yourself in a simple two-chord riff (think "Mystery Train" by Elvis), or in a three-chord, 12-bar blues structure (think "That's All Right" by Elvis, or "Rumble in Brighton" by the Stray Cats), or all over the neck with the later Brian Setzer stuff.  As a guy who is heavily interested in rockabilly myself, I would say to start with Mystery Train, and work on those Jazz chords; Setzer throws 9th's all over the place.

And get a guitar with a Bigsby.  :-)

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

@DGUYTON

JUST NOTICED YOUR TAG LINE. LOVE IT!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Brian Setzer (stray Cats), gene vincent are a couple of good one's.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Hello Lee and welcome to Chordie,

I can only reiterate what Phill has already said. Hilllbilly, rock, punk  or whatever, the best chords for any song are the ones that put the melody line in the vocal range of the singer.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

well thank you for the info by the way can tell wot setting on the amp you should have for rockabilly i have vox da15

Sorry, I can't help much on the amp settings; you'll have to fiddle.  If you have a reverb control, turn it up.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins