Topic: barre chords

what the f?  Will my hands ever be able to do barre chords?  I'm a new student, and I'm just starting to try barre chords.  Seems friggin imposible.  I have a Washburn D10S with fairly low action, but it seems pretty tough.  I know it's probably a matter of practice, practice, practice.....but I think I'll feel better if some of you guys and gals told me you had trouble too.  So, as I tell my wife........just tell me what I want to hear!

Thanks!

Re: barre chords

i had trouble too

same here

To reach out with your hands/ See the world through your eyes/ To live with the love of the savior/ To feel with your heart/ And think with your mind/I'd give my last breath for your glory!!!

They were the first chords I found out even existed so I really didn't have anything to compare it to. I thought open chordes were a pain. After having to only make a couple of shapes and then simply make them on different spots olang the neck, all those akward shapes that seemed to eighther strech my hands or cramp them seemed like such a drag to master. All those open strings ringing out. Control and perscision seemed impossible for a while. I'm glad I learnned them though and you will be too when you master your white whale.
But in keeping with the spirit of your wife, " I had such a tuff time learnning them too, But you'll get it, Tiger Man!"
Good luck mate!

"Nobody paints by ear so why would I play guitar by sight?" hmm

Yeah...every beginner has issues with barre chords. It may seem boring, but just keep up with your daily dexterity exercises. Once you build up the muscles in your hand (that you're not used to using otherwise), barre chords will become quite easy.

An acoustic with high action could cause troubles...so I'm surprised you're having issues with an electric with low action. But as you said, practice practice practice!

[url=http://www.jamplay.com/]JamPlay.com[/url] - Online guitar lessons.

Skydad3,

You might want to pick yourself up a spring-loaded hand training thing.  When you use it, try to simulate a barre chord and work your left index finger more than the rest.  Use this thing about 30 minutes a day for about a week.  You'll find that it will help reduce the cramp when barring a chord.

Hope this helps.

SkyDad3 wrote:

what the f?  Will my hands ever be able to do barre chords?  I'm a new student, and I'm just starting to try barre chords.  Seems friggin imposible.  I have a Washburn D10S with fairly low action, but it seems pretty tough.  I know it's probably a matter of practice, practice, practice.....but I think I'll feel better if some of you guys and gals told me you had trouble too.  So, as I tell my wife........just tell me what I want to hear!

Thanks!

Yes all guitars player must pass the dreaded barre chord learning process. All that I can say one day when you can do it with absolutly no effort you will think back and say oh yea they were kinda hard to learn and laugh

what a long strange trip it's been

JamPlay wrote:

An acoustic with high action could cause troubles...so I'm surprised you're having issues with an electric with low action. But as you said, practice practice practice!

Well my D10S is an acoustic, but I think the action is fairly low.  But I'm new so what do I know.  I think maybe I'll take it in to have it set up at my local music store.  When I bought it, I didn't know what action was (on the guitar, I do know what the other "action" is, even though I've been married a while!).  I just took it off the rack and went home to play.

Maybe that will help.  I'm sure most of it is practice, practice......cry..........practice!

Thanks, guys.

Hey Skydad,
Practice is the best way to build up the hand strength but that spring loaded hand exercise thing that Kahuna metioned was a big help for me.  It's called a Gripmaster and I keep one at work so that I can work on my hand strength even when I can't pick up my guitar.  Although, I think my coworkers may have thought I had some nervous condition that needed to be released through constant hand exercise until I explaiined what it was used for. lol  Anyway, my challange now is not the actual formation of the bar chord but the transition from bar to open chords.  Yes, I know the answer...practice, practice, practice.

EF

Edgefan,

Remember, also, that most open and minor chords can still be barred.  Chords like G, A, B, C, D, Am, Dm can be barred.  I still love the normal open chords myself.  But, if you're having difficulty transitioning from a barre chord to an open chord, this may help.  Just my two cents (or pences).

Kahuna

Edgefan wrote:

Hey Skydad,
Practice is the best way to build up the hand strength but that spring loaded hand exercise thing that Kahuna metioned was a big help for me.  It's called a Gripmaster and I keep one at work so that I can work on my hand strength even when I can't pick up my guitar.  Although, I think my coworkers may have thought I had some nervous condition that needed to be released through constant hand exercise until I explaiined what it was used for. lol  Anyway, my challange now is not the actual formation of the bar chord but the transition from bar to open chords.  Yes, I know the answer...practice, practice, practice.

EF

I have the perfect exersise machine to help build your strength and help you master barre chords. It's called an acoustic guitar

what a long strange trip it's been

Thats the same machine I work out on.

"Nobody paints by ear so why would I play guitar by sight?" hmm

13 (edited by davedee 2007-06-23 23:03:54)

Here's a little trick I was taught when trying to barre...instead of planting
your index finger directly onto the strings, turn it slightly towards the guitar head so the SIDE of your finger creates the barre. This gives a more even contact to produce a clearer tone, and also makes it easier to form the chord. I'm probably teaching my granny to suck eggs here,
but every little helps! Best of luck.. Dave.

thats a hard one for me to learn as well. still teaching myself

SkyDad3 wrote:

Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
hey barre chords are quite tough for beginners! i had to struggle to before being able to play 'em so easily...!
you'll just need practice...!

gr8 luck

SACHIN

Practice making the open E and Am chord shapes with your 2,3,4 fingers instead of the 1,2,3.  Don't worry about barring with the first finger until you get this perfected. Do a lot of open chord changes to and from the E and Am using your 2,3,4 on the E and Am.  Once you have this mastered, then just add the first finger as the barre and you got it.  Making the A shape with the 3rd finger while barring with the first will then be a piece of cake.

David

Please talk slowly I don't hear good any more.

17 (edited by stilrunin-Ken 2007-06-25 17:45:51)

Hey Man,

About the barre chords. You gotta have em. The position you put your thumb in is very important. This will allow you to get "over-the -top and down onto the strings. The thumb will be at an angle toward the top of the guitar and rather close to the downside edge of  the guitar neck. Try it. Move around until you find "your spot." It's a matter of squezzing with your fingers and thumb. You can work some many chords off the barre chord. Minors, 7th, 6th, minor 7ths, and so forth. You gotta have it. Good luck --Ken