Re: Just be thankful your family is safe.........

I'm good Zurf... That first day was the hard one for me. I've been around this kind of stuff a lot before so it wasn't "that" rough on me... You get kinda desensitized to a point... It had just been a few years and when it's people that you know and see often it impacts you a little more/differently... The wife on the other hand (having never seen anything like this before) is still having a hard time. She arose to the situation and jumped right in helping and I think that's made it worse for her... She was holding the girls hand, comforting her, while Major' Evans and I worked on her. She's getting better everyday though and the busy schedule we've had has helped to keep her mind of it...

bunbun, the chief stopped by and offered us counselling yesterday... He said a lot of the rescue workers were struggling with it and they were having group counselling (or private if you preferred) and they were also offering it to the community... I'm Okay... I know I did all that was possible and am thankful I could help as much as I did. The shot was upper right quadrant (2 inches from sternum center) piercing the lung... With a high powered rifle in that area (with the way they tumble on impact) there wasn't a lot I could do but try and I knew that from the start.... I sealed the wound as she was pulling air from it and stanched the flow the best I could but by the time time the unit arrived she was coded... We tried CPR and defib for awhile but you know.

The other girl seems to be stabilizing and right now things are looking hopeful for her...

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

27 (edited by jimmi// 2011-12-28 12:40:07)

Thanks pix, for sharing the sorrowful story with us by this posting. God bless you.

[url=http://seoonlineearningbd.blogspot.com/]SEO Online Earning BD Tips[/url]

Pix,

I understand that you may be coping well and I don't want to harp but how about your family? Do you think they could benefit from the CISD? I am not a "sensitive" person. I feel that I can cope with the stuff I have seen pretty well> I did not ask for the CISD in both the cases I mentioned, other crew members did. I went as part of the crew and thought that it could not hurt. It DID help me too. In the case of the child abuse death I felt that there was more I could have done. Much seemed to go wrong on that call from teh moment we were dispatched: Wrong info, told we were going on a syncopal 20 YO woman, wrong address given; told en-route that that syncopal was actually a full arrest; arrive on scene to find that it was not a 20 year old but a 20 month old! I could not get the tube, trouble with the IO, etc...

We are used to it and it still bothers us. Your family is not. Perhaps they could benefit?

As I said: I don't want to be a nag but if my family was involved in a situation like this and CISD was offered I would do it...

I pray that all is, or becomes, better for you and your family.

More prayers for the other girl and her mother of course.... as well the young man who's life was turned upside down by a bad decision on gun care.  I hope Billie is doing well... I can only imagine how that would effect me if I were in her shoes.  I do think it'd be a good idea to do what BunBun suggested.  I'm sure it could help, and certainly couldn't hurt.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.