Topic: Barre chords up the neck

Hi All!!!!

Anyone have some tips on sliding barre chords up the neck? Same shape just sliding up and down? I'm working on Dock of the Bay and it's tough. All F shape barre chords, going from the 3rd fret to the 7th to the 8th then 7th, 6th 5th. I have trouble stopping on the right fret and it squeaks alot. It's coming along just wondered if I was missing something easy?

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Barre chords up the neck

Landing on the right fret just comes with practce... You know how it goes smile Start slow and land it correctly and then build up speed. Eventually it'll be automatic.

As for the squeaks, Elixers help a lot! If your strumming it, keep strumming through the change while your barre finger is muting the strings (during your slide up) and it'll replace the squeak with a percussive strum. If your using a pluck pattern (similar to what I show here for the song http://www.youtube.com/user/Guitarpixx? … mi7yzqV1Uo ) then you can cover it that way. Also playing it with E and A shaped barre chords would minimize your movement... 

Other than that you can just try to release the barre a little more to lessen the squeak...

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Good advice above. Also, if you're wanting to keep the slide sound, you don't have to slide all your fingers. It's easier to just slide your index, then place your middle, ring and pinky for the chord. Good luck!

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

i use fast fret or finger ease. helps a ton.

You could also play that same set of changes by changing to the A-shape barre after the first G (at the third fret).  Then it becomes 3rd fret E-shape, 2nd fret A-shape, 3rd fret A-shape, 2nd fret, 1st fret, open A.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

Thanks for all the advice!!! I can't pull off the A-shape barre at this point. This is my first venture with more than one barre chord. I'll keep at it and it will happen.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Z one of the things that improves speed remarkably is learning to "loosen" your grip during the chord changes.  It takes practice to intentionally loosen because I remember how hard it was to get that fret hand shape but loosen then grip and your muscle memory also improves.  Again, don't hold on for dear life and the chord changes speed up nicely.  +1 on the Elixers.

i find this all very helpful as well! love this forum
!

zguitar wrote:

Thanks for all the advice!!! I can't pull off the A-shape barre at this point. This is my first venture with more than one barre chord. I'll keep at it and it will happen.

That's because it's evil. 

The A-shaped barre chord.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

So it's not just the B chord for you Zurf? It's all A-shaped barres? You know, with your faith you should know that evil will be overcome. So at some point in the future I expect you to be playing that B chord.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!