Re: Self taught or taking lessons

Thanks Oz

Self taught, mostly by playing with friends, family and strangers "who become friends".
I still spend 6 or 10 hrs(not sure how many,lose track after 12 or 14hrs,) a week wood-shedding .   
I guess every day can actually be a lesson.

Ron:-)

Ron

sounds like an awesome way to learn, as well as make friends!

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

ozymandias wrote:

sounds like an awesome way to learn, as well as make friends!

yes it is, on both counts.:)

just as is this Web Site!

Ron

Hi Ozy. I'm self taught myself. Been at it since Woodstock. Started on keyboards first. Helps to figure out chords. Keep strumin' away. Practice your chord changes. As we go through life, things do change and we begin to try other music. When we come back to our beginnings, it all starts to come together. The main thing is to enjoy yourself and have fun.
Many of my family and friends play. When we get together it's all a blast. Sounds pretty good most times. Sometimes we even sing in key. Everyone learns from each other. We have to keep the music alive for the young folk. The more they are around it the more they get into it. Currently teaching my grandoughter piano and my grandson guitar. They love it.
There are so many free lessons on youtube. Wish they had them when I started 40 years ago. I've aquired many guitars through the years. My favorites are the acoustic/electric. Different guitars for different moods. Whatever your preferences are, go at it and have fun.

scallopman wrote:

Hi Ozy. I'm self taught myself. Been at it since Woodstock. Started on keyboards first. Helps to figure out chords. Keep strumin' away. Practice your chord changes. As we go through life, things do change and we begin to try other music. When we come back to our beginnings, it all starts to come together. The main thing is to enjoy yourself and have fun.
Many of my family and friends play. When we get together it's all a blast. Sounds pretty good most times. Sometimes we even sing in key. Everyone learns from each other. We have to keep the music alive for the young folk. The more they are around it the more they get into it. Currently teaching my grandoughter piano and my grandson guitar. They love it.
There are so many free lessons on youtube. Wish they had them when I started 40 years ago. I've aquired many guitars through the years. My favorites are the acoustic/electric. Different guitars for different moods. Whatever your preferences are, go at it and have fun.

Quoted for truth!!  smile

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

I did a term of lessons in my 20s looking back it would be the same as downloading one of the songs off this site that was 30 years ago i played guitar with other musicians

at church i found that really helpful and learnt alot that way when i first started i must have been pretty awful as i was tone deaf i recently started playing the guitar again

for a local church i recently joined we are a small fellowship so i am the main musician we only have the guitar have done stints as a worship leader as i do love gospel

music.Recently I started playing elvis gospel music and his style is very natural to me i enjoy singing his style music maybe in the new year i will put some songs on you

tube rgards brentnz

I tried to teach myself.Then I took lessons for 2 years.Then I took  a night course in 1987 at Fitchburg High School hoping to learn to read.The teachers told me I was wasting my time because I was too far ahead of the rest of the class

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Self-taught, and it shows. Too stubborn to quit despite the usual set-backs, hurdles, etc. Also a procrastinator, and did  I mention stubborn, so I've contemplated taking lessons for about a year and a half. I know it will help but once I "master" the guitar I'll have to take up singing as I've realized that "playing the guitar" actually means playing and singing. I'm pretty comfortable in public speaking situations but singing? This is so far outside my comfort zone I can't even see it with a Celestron telescope purchased from Edmund's Scientific catalog!
dj

You can do it naoslager.  Singing isn't natural for many.  It's OK to take voice lessons too.  If you can bang out a steady beat and change chords, you play well enough to sing along.  But do it at your own pace.  Nobody's rushing you. 

I've had many, many lessons on lots of different instruments, but I'm self-taught on guitar.  I took a few lessons to try to get back into reading music but I let it fade away again.  I am likely to take some lessons to help me get over the scales / arpeggios / inversions hurdle so that I can play some recognizable licks.  Funny that I can kind of do it with confidence on the bass, but using the same strings an octave higher gives me the fits. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

naolslager wrote:

Self-taught, and it shows. Too stubborn to quit despite the usual set-backs, hurdles, etc. Also a procrastinator, and did  I mention stubborn, so I've contemplated taking lessons for about a year and a half. I know it will help but once I "master" the guitar I'll have to take up singing as I've realized that "playing the guitar" actually means playing and singing. I'm pretty comfortable in public speaking situations but singing? This is so far outside my comfort zone I can't even see it with a Celestron telescope purchased from Edmund's Scientific catalog!
dj

Nao I play ok as far as singing I am the same area as you,and the thing is that for me to get further I really need too sing along too maintain the beat/tempo. I got a you tube up in my name but I may never use it because of my voice.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Hi Ozy ,
    Lessons would have been the imposible dream for me ... I started when I was ten yrs old , with an old ( at the time ) Stella that my old man left when he took off , ( I know it's a cliche' , but true in my case ) ... So yea , I guess I'm self taught ... But , almost nobody really self teaches , because you watch and learn from other people ... I sure did and after forty eight years of playing , I can tell you that If you WANT to play , you will ...
                                                     Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "