Topic: FM

If i play the FM -- 123 string on 1st fret and 4 string on 3rd fret, is it best to use index finger on 1st fret and little finger on 3rd fret?and the same for Fsharp m on the next fret up.

Re: FM

hopeful wrote:

If i play the FM -- 123 string on 1st fret and 4 string on 3rd fret, is it best to use index finger on 1st fret and little finger on 3rd fret?and the same for Fsharp m on the next fret up.

I think i meant ring finger on the 3rd fret

Probably the best thing to do is play the full barre chord and just leave your middle finger off of the G string, that way you have the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 6th strings barred with your index, the 4th string with your pinky, and the 5th string with your ring finger.  If you don't need the full barre, you could play whatever way is easiest for you, depending on which chords your coming from/going to.

I agree with wormproof and his method!  My suggestion is to learn barring the chord.  But, if you're just starting out, do the best you can to get a clear sound.  You can also try barring the first three stings.  Then, put your pinky on the on the 4th string and ring on the 5th string (3rd fret). 

Hope this helps.

Im trying to learn the barre chord  but when i try to bar with my index finger, i have trouble positioning the other fingers, i feel like i need to be a contortionist!!

Barring a chord takes time.  And, with practice, I'm sure you'll become an expert in no time.  One suggestion is to select one or two tough songs that require barre chords.  Then, try to play each one about once a week.  Once the songs get easier, then play it every other day.   It's a good goal to set, and doable!   Good luck!

hopeful wrote:

Im trying to learn the barre chord  but when i try to bar with my index finger, i have trouble positioning the other fingers, i feel like i need to be a contortionist!!