Topic: Scientific conundrum

You may or may not know, but I do spend most of my time in either shorts or jeans. Well last night was the first meeting of the Algarve Rock Choir that I am assisting with, so I decided to dress up for a change.

I took two pairs of trousers from the wardrobe that I have not worn for probably 6 to 9 months and to my shock and horror I found that they had shrunk and I could no longer get them around my waist no matter how much I breathed in. I have no idea what could have caused this shrinkage. Perhaps they felt unloved by not being worn and have wasted away. I will have to investigate this phenomenon some more.

I wonder if anyone else has encountered this strange occurrence.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Re: Scientific conundrum

Oh Roger!!!! You're opening up yourself to lots of pokes here. Are you sure it was that pants that shrunk and not something else????? Kinda strange that both pairs are like that. Maybe the holidays have let you a little "jolly"?

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Gee Roger. I have the same problem.When I quit smoking,all my clothes shrunk. Too many twinkies didn`t contribute to it.My size 34s shrunk up to a size 40.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

What you have experienced is a well known scientific condition in the textile industry known as texticular atrophy (or shrinkage). It is a well known fact that textile products (defined as the production of yarn, and cloth and the subsequent design or manufacture of clothing and their distribution) will shrink from lack of usage. This occurs at a molecular level and cannot be prevented.

This is very similar to testicular atrophy, common to males, most often occurring after a swim in very cold water. Fortunately, testicular atrophy is easily overcome by warming the effected area; Unfortunately, atrophy of the texticular nature can only be solved by the purchase of some new trousers.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

Gee Roger. I have the same problem.When I quit smoking,all my clothes shrunk. Too many twinkies didn`t contribute to it.My size 34s shrunk up to a size 40.

Reminds me of an old joke - I wear a 34, but tried on a pair of 36's that felt so good, I bought 38's!!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Looks like we all have the same aliment,myself included. I have been given some nice pants over the last few years that were too large in the waist. I hate too go too stores so I never returned them,but the good part is I now have 3 pairs of new pants that fit.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Yeah. I have been off work due to my back injury since May and have gained about 30 pounds...:(

As an alternative I was considering getting some of those waist expandable buttons that they sell on t.v.,I do not need them now but it may be something too use in the future.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Oh yes.  I put on a suit that I bought about six years ago.  It hasn't been worn much, but I was going to a cocktail party last night and thought I'd go with a light gray suit rather than my more usual navy blue.  Well, that light gray suit's legs had shriveled right up and were tight all around my thighs.  The waist had shrunk too and the jacket didn't fit quite right around the middle.  It has been hanging in a well made cedar armoire from the 1920's, so whatever it is that affects this even cedar closets can't prevent it. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

After much consideration I had decided that perhaps it was it was a result of Newton's Law of Gravity pulling my chest south. I was considering turning my TV upside down and fixing a bar at about eye height so that I can hang by my legs to watch it to reverse the trend.

However, after carefull reading your replies, I am now of the opinion that Jeff (Topdown) has the definitive answer and there is nothing I can do about it.

lol smile  wink  Roger

Dirty Ed has a song in which he wonders when sowing his wild oats turned into oats and bran.  In the song he talks about some kind of strange furniture moving thing going on where his chest has moved down to his drawers or some such.  Maybe he'll come in and give the right lyrics.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Sounds like a fun song, I would like to hear, or read, it.

Roger

I have a really nice hand made suit I bought in Korea in 1998.  Alas it is way too small now.  So, this ailment sounds natural.  What are we complaining about?  It's happening to most of us.  Lets just enjoy it.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Here ya go Zurf:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHsenGdNw2g

I tell folks I still wear flared jeans just like back in the 60's - only now they're flared at the waist ..........................

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Roger, I have a bunch of dress pants that have "shrunk" too. For the life of me I don't understand why. Maybe the closet is so close to the bathroom; the steam from the shower has taken a toll on my pants.....mmm?

If there were no guitars, everyone would have to sing a capella.

Hi Jerry,

I think that Professor Topdown has the answer when he posted this:

What you have experienced is a well known scientific condition in the textile industry known as texticular atrophy (or shrinkage). It is a well known fact that textile products (defined as the production of yarn, and cloth and the subsequent design or manufacture of clothing and their distribution) will shrink from lack of usage. This occurs at a molecular level and cannot be prevented.

Obviously he has taken the time to conduct a scientific study of the phenomenon and sadly there is nothing that can be done to prevent it. However I do wonder if he took your situation into consideration as, from a layman's point of view, steam could also be a contributing factor.

Roger

it's funny you should mention that...i went out and bought 2 pairs of trousers, one from Asda and one from Tesco, now i've been wearing size 34 waist since i was 20 (honestly) but the Tesco one's were too tight yet the Asda one's fitted really comfortably. even though i still wear the same size trousers, round the waist, it seems my legs have grown, because 34 legs (which i've worn since i was 20...honestly) seem to be a lot shorter than they were. i wonder if it has anything to do with my butt growing bigger?

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

hey roger if you got elasticated waisted trousers they adjust up or down to your shapes,i ordered a pair of work trousers,48'' and received 52'',i ordered 4xl coat & waistcoat and got 3xl i can get into them but they don't meet in the middle and i have to wait 3wks to a month for them anyone would think i was the only big lad at work ha ha.....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Sorry to hear about your trousers Roger. I find the phenomenon to be at it's height shortly after the summer and Christmas holidays, I think that the garments being stationary for a longer period of time seems to act as a catalyst in the whole process. Certainly how it plays out in my place.

I also find that a common side effect of this shrinkage of waistbands is dirty shoes....bear with me....

I've noticed that when I find my clothing to have shrunk inexplicably it more often than not coincides with my usually well polished shoes not being kept to their own high standards....without my noticing. I struggle to explain that why, after my Christmas or summer holidays, I don't tend to notice that my shoes are not as clean as I would normally like. It's almost as if the distress over the random shrinking of my suits leaves me with a blind spot with regards to my shoe care.

If anyone can offer a scientific explanation to this secondary condition it would be appreciated as I find the whole situation most unsettling.

M

All I got, is a red guitar, three chords and the truth

bud_wiser wrote:

Sorry to hear about your trousers Roger. I find the phenomenon to be at it's height shortly after the summer and Christmas holidays, I think that the garments being stationary for a longer period of time seems to act as a catalyst in the whole process. Certainly how it plays out in my place.

I also find that a common side effect of this shrinkage of waistbands is dirty shoes....bear with me....

I've noticed that when I find my clothing to have shrunk inexplicably it more often than not coincides with my usually well polished shoes not being kept to their own high standards....without my noticing. I struggle to explain that why, after my Christmas or summer holidays, I don't tend to notice that my shoes are not as clean as I would normally like. It's almost as if the distress over the random shrinking of my suits leaves me with a blind spot with regards to my shoe care.

If anyone can offer a scientific explanation to this secondary condition it would be appreciated as I find the whole situation most unsettling.

M

Very observant - I rarely am able to see my shoes after the holidays so perhaps your condition is still in it's early stages.  I am guessing the oils, waxes and various chemicals used to keep your shoes in pristine condition may emit chemicals which migrate up your trouser leg and then as they exit out the top waistband the re-combination with the ambient air induces a chemical reaction which causes the fibers of the waistband to shrink.  As the chemicals leave your shoes they become dirtier while the waist of your trousers become tighter. Residual fumes may also affect the lower parts of your shirts, jackets, etc also causing them to shrink and feel a little tighter around your middle.

.........just a theory ............

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs