1 (edited by hopeful 2011-11-10 15:15:23)

Topic: Strings again

Does it make a difference being male or female concerning thickness of strings. I know we all have callouses but i imagine that men can put pressure that much more. What gauge strings could women expect to play up to?

Re: Strings again

The need to apply a lot of pressure after building up the callouses becomes less of an issue.  I imagine that it really doesn't matter whether you are male or female.  Some people continue to use a lot of pressure, which is just not needed.  To answer your question, I am betting a female can do anything a man can do, in this case.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

The need to apply pressure reduces greatly once you learn how to apply pressure. You should be able to fret a note using little more pressure than you use to type on a keyboard.

I'd start with lighter strings and once you get comfortable with basics of chording, start to mess with LH pressure and find the least pressure you can use while still making the string sound.

It's not whether men or women could apply more pressure, but whether either of them can't apply enough pressure.  I think members of either sex can apply sufficient pressure on any kind of strings - given time.  No one should expect to be able to play with bridge cables in their first week.  Anyone without some sort of condition preventing it should be able to develop enough finger strength to push any size of guitar string the tiny fraction of an inch necessary to get a clean note.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Haha, I guess I'll praise my Ernie Ball Lights again. Like I said in the other string post, I love them. They work perfect for my fingers and my guitar. I think they're 11s, and that's what I'd recommend for other girls. smile Hope that helps!

... but hey mess around with other strings. Nothin' wrong with that.

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

I'm thinking its completely relative and based purely on muscular/skeletal geometry,  in other words, leverage, and practice. I sure that sex isn't the issue here.  It's a given that males dominate the guitar world, but keep in mind that there are the likes of Jennifer Batten, Tal Wickenfield, Nancy Wilson, Orianthi, the list goes on.   Oh!  Bonny Raitt, can't forget her.  I'd bet they all use a variety of gages of strings. Tal Wickenfield plays bass like a banshee and those strings are thick!

Now available in 5G !

tandm3 wrote:

...keep in mind that there are the likes of Jennifer Batten, Tal Wickenfield, Nancy Wilson, Orianthi, the list goes on.   Oh!  Bonny Raitt, can't forget her.  I'd bet they all use a variety of gages of strings. Tal Wickenfield plays bass like a banshee and those strings are thick!

And Auxi... right? You forgot about her... tongue

^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

I stand corrected. I am derelict in neglecting our very own Auxi.  I beg forgiveness.

Now available in 5G !

The way your guitar is setup can make a big difference. I was out in the guitar shops at the weekend and some guitars with thicker strings were easier to fret than guitars with thinner ones. A low action helps tremendously. I'm pretty gentle with my strumming and can get away with the strings set quite low. If you give it a bit of hammer then I guess you might need to raise it a bit. In which case thinner strings would probably help I would think.
Course I could be talking complete rubbish but that's my 2 cents worth!

"We cannot hold a torch to light another's path without brightening our own." (Ben Sweetland)

I prefer medium strings, I don't care for the way lights sound on my guitar.  I strum pretty hard and do a lot of chopping too.  I find the longer I play at any sitting the harder I tend to apply tension while fretting, which isn't necessary just a bad habit.  I like my nails painted and my hands soft, but I like my guitar callouses even more.  wink

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

tandm3 wrote:

I stand corrected. I am derelict in neglecting our very own Auxi.  I beg forgiveness.

Hehe, I'll let it slide... just this once wink

^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

auxi wrote:

Haha, I guess I'll praise my Ernie Ball Lights again. Like I said in the other string post, I love them. They work perfect for my fingers and my guitar. I think they're 11s, and that's what I'd recommend for other girls. smile Hope that helps!

... but hey mess around with other strings. Nothin' wrong with that.

I usually use 11's on my Yamaha and 12's on my Guild.  I hope it's OK that some guys use 11's too. 

I am going to try some Ernie Ball 12's on my Guild.  It's made for bluegrass and fingerpicking and the extra volume could be helpful. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

13 (edited by patrickjacques 2012-01-07 14:40:02)

quite frankly gender is not an issue here, thicker guages create a much nicer tone. I played with light gauge many years, its only in the past few that I switched to medium and for a long period of time it killed my fingers but now they are comfortable for me. I later played a guitar with light guage strings and it was like playing with spagetti strings. today I would never put light gauge strings on any of my guitars and I have been considering trying heavy guage on my electric

what a long strange trip it's been

I use 11's on both my Breedloves and 12's on my Ibanez. I also use 10's on my electric, I tried 9's on the electric but I'm so used to playing acoustic's I put too much pressure on the strings and it sounds out of tune.

I use 11s on my yamaha sj-180. 12s on my other acoustics.On my electrics I use 10s. My daughter Gabrielle uses the exact same strings I do. Not a personal preference but because I buy them by the 10 pack when they are on sale.No special brand,just the store brand at GC.When she needs strings,she goes into my guitar tool box and takes those.Including picks, cords and anything else she won`t buy for herself.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I use customs (11s) on all my Yairis...  Medium/heavies on the 2 short scales I use for slackkey...  Mediums on the jumbo...        All depend on the guit, what its used for and the tone wanted.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]