Topic: Change of string weights on an acoustic

I have always ultra light strings on my seven year old Tanglewood.   I tried to change to lights maybe a year ago and they just didn't sound right.  A lot of buzzing and bum notes.  There is a fair bit of wear on the fret and on the bars as this is a much played and much loved guitar.  My question is this..has the ultra light strings 'bedded' in to the point that I can't use anything else?  I use heavier strings on my electric and I'd like to keep them feeling the same ish.

Thanks,

Pat

My ambition far exceeds my ability

Re: Change of string weights on an acoustic

Time for a proper set-up ,take it to the luthier for advice .

Hmm... don't know. I'd say if the ultra lights are working for ya stick with them. They're easier, anyway. smile

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

Usually you can go up or down one string size without a problem. I say usually, but there are exceptions. If your action is really low then going up a size might cause problems. If the frets are really warn you could have issues. I would take it in and have it looked at like Henry suggested.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys.  Good advice as ever.

Pat

My ambition far exceeds my ability

Yea...i had a "ringer" on d 7th fret and they shaved it a hair.  It works great now

Always take the high road and be kind to your enemies.                                       
              Nothing will annoy them more!

I have got myself an acoustic and after playing the electric I find it a lot harder to get a clear sounding chord, especially the barred Bb on the acoustic. I can't fit three fingers on one fret so I use my little finger to fret strings D G and B. Also if I get lazy and don't form the chord properly I get string buzz on the acoustic but I get away with it on the electric, maybe because the fret wires are thicker. Both guitars have Elixer strings, 10-46's on the electric and 12-53's on the acoustic. If I put lighter strings on the acoustic would it be easier to play and would the sound be a lot different. Thanks

It would sound different and it would be easier to play but can I suggest an alternative, instead of using your pinky try using your ring finger to make the chord, you'll find it a lot easier and you'll be left with your pinky around to play with.

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

Just by nature of the guitars you have to press harder to get a good sound on an acoustic. There's a big diff in your strings weights between the two also. Try going a step lighter on your acoustic.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

When you go for a lighter string, there is always going to be a trade off in the ound and volume department. Lighter strings are easier to play, but don't have the same volume. Personally I'd practice with the heavier strings until they feel more natural to you. Maybe try 11s for a while and go back to the 12s later on. That said, I have friends who wouldn't dream of putting 12s on an acoustic.

I see friends holdiong hands, saying "How do you do"
They're really saying, "I love you"
Louis Armstrong. Wonderful world.

Too light of a string on an acoustic sound tinny to me.  Anything .10's and under for sure.  .11s are better but .12s are where I feel as if you start to get some volume and ... "flavor" to the sound. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I bought my PR350E used.  After a lot of playing in the first 2 years of this "journey", I developed a "twang" on the B-string.  I took it in to a tech who diagnosed the problem as frett wear at the first 4 frets.  He managed to refrett those positions, dress the rest and reset the git.  It now plays and sounds like a dream.

Keeping It Fun, Dean
'91 Epiphone PR350E
'11 Taylor GC3
'15 Taylor GS Mini/Mahogany

I play a Tanglewood and generally play with 12's or 13's. Anything less sounds rather weak. When it was newish it had a buzz somewhere round the 7th or 8th fret and the guy in the shop gave a little adjustment to the truss rod and it has been fine ever since