Topic: Free web site?

Is there such a thing as a free web site and Does any one have their own ? Wix claims they are free but I don't want to find out the hard way that it is not. Any help would be appreciated. DS

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Re: Free web site?

I have seen some of these and they are loaded with advertisments and take tons of time too load.that was a few years ago,I do not know of any right now.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

No.  Someone gets paid somewhere.

A good, solid axiom about "free" web stuff is this.  "If you are not paying for it directly, then you are not the customer, you are the product being sold."

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

very clever Jerome

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

I know WIX is supposed  to have advertisements (the free version) so I expect that. Oh well, it's not guitar related anyway. I was just trying to find a way for our club to stay in touch .

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Using wordpress is about the cheapest you can get...a few bucks for the domain, a few bucks for hosting and you're done. The sites are not glamorous but they work, SEO well and you can edit them yourself without paying a geek $55 an hour. Here are some examples I've made in the last month or two (I don't want to link spam so just type these in your browser)

free jazz lessons dot com
sin city k9 dot net
bald guitar dude dot com

DS I would be delighted to help you get something set up and install wordpress for you. For free. wink

Baldguitardude wrote:

Using wordpress is about the cheapest you can get...a few bucks for the domain, a few bucks for hosting and you're done. The sites are not glamorous but they work, SEO well and you can edit them yourself without paying a geek $55 an hour. Here are some examples I've made in the last month or two (I don't want to link spam so just type these in your browser)

free jazz lessons dot com
sin city k9 dot net
bald guitar dude dot com

DS I would be delighted to help you get something set up and install wordpress for you. For free. wink

Thank you! E-mail is on the way to you.

Deadstring you can get a bare too the bones use out of netzero.net for $6.95 amonth,I am using it right now while I am setting up my wireless network. I do not know if they give that price too all as I suffered with there slow network for a few years.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino48 wrote:

Deadstring you can get a bare too the bones use out of netzero.net for $6.95 amonth,I am using it right now while I am setting up my wireless network. I do not know if they give that price too all as I suffered with there slow network for a few years.

Thanks.

if you pay for a domain name with godaddy, they give you some "free" webhosting with it - free with ads of course, but none the less... you're looking at less than $20 for a year.  Of course, whomever your ISP is... they usually give you some free hosting as well!  If you're talking about just staying in touch, you could always make a free facebook page for your group.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

mekidsmom wrote:

if you pay for a domain name with godaddy, they give you some "free" webhosting with it - free with ads of course, but none the less... you're looking at less than $20 for a year.  Of course, whomever your ISP is... they usually give you some free hosting as well!  If you're talking about just staying in touch, you could always make a free facebook page for your group.

Thanks.

deadstring wrote:
mekidsmom wrote:

Thanks.

Thanks everyone! I think Amy has solved  my problem for the time being.                             Baldguitardude----Thanks again.

DeadString, I saw wordpress was mentioned, I have a wordpress site and it works great. They have some that you can pay for but most are free. There are no ads at all. I use mine to write sports blogs over on twitter. I'm not sure if I should put the site name I have here, don't know if that's allowable by the moderators here. They have 163 different sites to chose from and I'm guessing 95% of them are free. I had a site I paid for through a different host but it ran out and I had friends there were using Wordpress so I started using it, I love it. I figured out how to use it, so if I can do it anybody can.

Cam

PS. For the record I have no affiliation with Wordpress, not an endorsement, hope this helps you.

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Thanks Cam.I appreciate everyones replies. A good weekend to all.