Topic: anyone tried a cajon?

Gidday,

thinking of building a cajon  anyone tried one?
Looks like a lot of fun

The King Of Audio Torture

Re: anyone tried a cajon?

I know that as a 'Beat Box'. I sold one to a gypsy boy during the summer so I had a chance to give it a try (well I had to tune it up before he took it [good excuse smile don't you think]).

It certainly was a fun bit of kit and the sort of thing that anyone can use to join in at a jam session.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I want one.  I haven't tried them.  But I want one anyway. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Have seen them used, never tried myself. But I want one too! There's a local guy that I see at open-mics who makes them, I think - but haven't talked to him yet...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Just to add, I think they are fairly easy to make, if you are reasonably good with woodworking. Have also seen kits on eBay...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

What is a cajon?  Maybe I want one too.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

bensonp wrote:

What is a cajon?  Maybe I want one too.

It's a percussion instrument and you do want one. 

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Pearl-Prime … 1394000.gc

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Gidday.

Yeah finished my cajon cost $40 to make,  timber, screws & paint.  another $10 when i add a snare.

this is great fun   thinking of adding a pedal for the kick drum so i can play along with guitar.

On u tube some amazing players, also lot of beginners having a ball.

The King Of Audio Torture

Hi Brian,

Sounds good but, as a picture paints a thousand words, a photo would be appreciated smile.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Several years ago I attended an acoustic performance at a local venue.  Two guitar players and a third guy with a large canvas duffle bag walked onto the stage.  He was introduced as the "percussionist", while dumping the contents of his bag on the stage floor.  There were pots, pans, wood blocks, toys, etc, each having its own particular sound or tone.  He would pick up various items and play them with his hands or with drum sticks, depending on the song being played.  It sounded great as well as being visually entertaining.  I talked to the guy later.  He said he used to play a drum kit but was fascinated by the sounds of various items he tapped, clicked and thumped in dollar stores, etc.  Every time he found a new "sound" and it wasn't very expensive, he bought the item.  Apparently he found a lot of inexpensive stuff judging by the sheer number of items he played.  I've thought about doing the same thing and bringing a bag of percussive instruments to campfire picking sessions so the "non-musicians" would have something to play.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

11 (edited by Guitarpix 2012-01-31 20:23:54)

I've got a cajon and bongo cajon...  I carried the bongo cajon to the river jam and MK and jim played around on it a bit. They're fun and like DE said, great for campfire picking. I had lots of little things like that with me that never got brought out due to us arriving late and leaving early sad

Don't have pics of the box cajon handy but you can see the bongo cajon sitting on the table next to the kalimba here...
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2546/3981738987_5402f5e1ee_z.jpg

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]