Topic: Do you have to follow beats to a measure?

I'm wondering, do you have to follow beats to a measure when you are playing alone?  Do you really need to count or remember 4 beats and so on or can yoy play the song as it sounds when originally was recoreded and start from the start do your own thing and end up at the end of the song.  I can understand why you would do this if several people are playing in order to know each persons part, but playing alone?  Please advise.

! Corinthians 15:1-4

Re: Do you have to follow beats to a measure?

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good, it is good

Welcome to chordie!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I'm with topdown on this - go with rule #1.  Make it your own music and play it how you like it.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

I have been racked by the 12 bar blues, 4 beats per measure, 4 measures to bar x 3. Yet when I listen to the old times country blues I don't hear the beats to a measure and all the chord changes that are marked in the 12 bars.  Thanks guys

If you're playing Mississippi John Hurt or John Lee Hooker or other musicians like them, don't even consider putting them to standard timing.  It won't work.  No one ever told them that was the "right" way to play, so they just did what sounded good to them or let them say what they wanted to have said.  Which brings us back to Topdown's axiom. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Depending on what you're playing, it is good to keep time. When playing alone a song might sound funny if played slow then fast and vice versa.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I once saw an interview with John Prine, people would tell him that he was playing songs wrong, so that's when he decided to write his own songs, that way no one could tell him it was wrong. The rest is history. So by that standard Topdown is right.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

It only really matters if you are playing with others, or if someone else is singing.  But like everything else where others are involved...yu can lead...you can follow or you can just get out of the way!!!   It doesn't matter just feel the beat and enjoy...happy new year!!

My ambition far exceeds my ability

I'm not a fan of unstructured music in any form but there are some that are so to each there own

"Growing old is not for sissies"

10 (edited by stephenpaul 2012-01-16 23:32:13)

patrickthered wrote:

It only really matters if you are playing with others, or if someone else is singing.  But like everything else where others are involved...yu can lead...you can follow or you can just get out of the way!!!   It doesn't matter just feel the beat and enjoy...happy new year!!

i agree with you....

11 (edited by beamer 2012-01-10 01:53:58)

I am the worlds worst for playing covers "the correct way".  EX:  One night 2 friends sat down, I pulled my guitar out and she asked to sing HOTEL CALIFIORNIA.  I said OK. I paly this song to the note, just slower and a slight diff rythem pattern.  It messed her up cause she went right from memory and not listening to how I played.  It took her a min or two to adjust.  Once she did, it sounded amazing!  Wish I had taped it!

Trouble is,,,, most PPL are slaves to the click.  I still am trying to master it!!  It is a must if your recording tracks, jamming with new friends.  I have found most pple are resistant to changing what they have learnt "by the book / original version"  If you can find a few ppl who encourrage you and are willing to do your way a bit,,, KEEP THEM AROUND FOREVER!

PLAY YOUR SONG.    BE YOURSELF AND FOLLO0W THE SONG IN YOUR HEART.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

It really depends on how you want it done.  Though there really are those songs that would require a specific way of strumming so it will sound nice but for everything else, you can pretty much do it your way.

But for the more official recordings like album recordings, you have to follow the measure but for amore freestyle one, you can pretty much do your own like backyard playing or even gigs.

beamer wrote:

I am the worlds worst for playing covers "the correct way".  EX:  One night 2 friends sat down, I pulled my guitar out and she asked to sing HOTEL CALIFIORNIA.  I said OK. I paly this song to the note, just slower and a slight diff rythem pattern.  It messed her up cause she went right from memory and not listening to how I played.  It took her a min or two to adjust.  Once she did, it sounded amazing!  Wish I had taped it!

Trouble is,,,, most PPL are slaves to the click.  I still am trying to master it!!  It is a must if your recording tracks, jamming with new friends.  I have found most pple are resistant to changing what they have learnt "by the book / original version"  If you can find a few ppl who encourrage you and are willing to do your way a bit,,, KEEP THEM AROUND FOREVER!

PLAY YOUR SONG.    BE YOURSELF AND FOLLO0W THE SONG IN YOUR HEART.

I like the way you think. My theory is that if you want to hear a song exactly as it is done, buy the cd or listen to the radio.  That is why some covers are better than the originals and vica versa.  That is a problem with jamming too. People want to sound exactly like the original. I prefer to put a different twist to make it my own and to compensate for lack of ability somewhere. I too like playing HOTEL CALIFORNIA, but it will never sound like the original. Maybe if I can get the eagles to play with me and turn the volume off on my amp,I can pull it off. Until then, I will play it the way I like to make it sound the best I can.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

It's one thing if your playing all by yourself then metre,(time) arrangments, even chords and lyrics have no importance and the "if it sounds good to you" rule fits  but when you play with others if no one knows what key,time,or arrangment then its noise and I dont think there is much of a demand for this genre.

I use a finger picking style, where my thumb keeps the rythm with the bass notes, and my fingers pick out the tune between the chords. I get the best of both worlds, but it takes a lot of work nowadays. My damned fingers are arthritic as hell. I find, thought, that if I keep playing through, the pain diminishes and my dexterity improves. Hurts like hell in the morning, though.
I can flat pick, almost as well, but clinching a pick between my fingers and thumb is excrutiating after a short stint, unless I just play chord/rythms.

It took my best friend months to pick up on the bass rythm, but the results were worth the effort for both of us. Great music resulted.

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

Guys,  I have listened to all of your comments and taken them to heart.  It seems there is only one way to play music and  an unlimited way to make music.  I play the Native American Flute and if you play sheet music you have lost the real meaning of NDN music, from the heart.  I like picking up the flute and not know what will come out of my heart.  There are a million ways to make it sound good, but there is one way to make it sound like the Original CD.
  You have answered my question and again thanks a million, and I will keep on playing,....and asking questions.

Bands and guitarists who mmake the best music, really know their stuff. they learn to play other people's songs first to learn how a song or piece or music comes together. Bands who start off writing their own songs without having leared to play first, don't usualy have good rythms and melodies or interesting chord progressions. If you learn to play at a steady beat right from the start, it will save you a lot of re-learning later on.

A friend of mine who plays drums, says his drumming improved a lot just by practicing with a metronome. If your beat is steady it will look after itself allowing you to concentrate on playing the song. This will only come with practie. As for Mississippi John Hurt, that will be much easier if you can play at a steady rythme.

I see friends holdiong hands, saying "How do you do"
They're really saying, "I love you"
Louis Armstrong. Wonderful world.

click would drive me nuts... plus if I ever used a real metronome, the cat would for sure start chasing it...

If you aren't in it for the money: play what you like... which does not mean it's not important. YOU just have to really really LIKE it...

Cheers,

Tom

a metronome is essential for recording if you intend multi-tracking. i have done many recordings (covers and originals) with or without a click, it all depends on your internal clock. russ harding tells me he has perfect meter. having done several recordings with him i can verify that. when i record i play guitar, drums, bass and keyboards, so most times i use the click. i find that i dont actually need to count if i have a beat to follow. and of course some songs sound so much more soul-full when you don't keep a strict time, eg; keep a note a half beat longer etc, so then you come back in a half beat later, (it makes a terrible mess of the metronome count though! )

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

For recording you are 100% right Phill...

Oh... tried the mixture of cat and metronome... expected result... metronome is broken now... *g* (but it was old and wouldnt keep the time properly)...

Cheers,

Tom

I had a friend rest his soul named Bobby Mercereau he played tenor sax with my band in Las Vegas he had a unusual gift of perfect pitch it was so perfect that he could turn his back and close his eyes and you could play any note he would not only tell you what note you played but if it was in tune and he was always right,another gift he possessed was the ability to play back note for note any phrase or lick he heard including charlie Parker songs he was incredible kind of spooky.:)

It's gotta be in his genetics.  I have always wondered how some can do that and others can't.  As you say, he can listen to a lick then play it.  It takes me forever to learn a particular lick and that is only through much practice.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

thistles wrote:

(but it was old and wouldnt keep the time properly)...

How about the cat?  Does it keep time?

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

sometimes it looks as if she actually is...

*g*

At least she likes me playing and singing..

Cheers,

Tom