Topic: What was your first guitar?

It`s that simple. Was it a real one? An emenee or a vintage martin. Did you learn to play on it, My first was a Sears Silvertone acoustic. The sunburst one. I didnt learn ro play on it,but it was my first.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Re: What was your first guitar?

Ibanez dread. I learned on it but it was hard to play. Got rid of it last year. Don't miss it at all.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

My first was also a Sears Silvertone sunburst archtop.  This was when I was 11 back in 1962.  It was a beautiful guitar.  I didn't learn a lot except for a few chords because I didn't stick with it.  As I recall, it cost $29.00.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

My wife bought me a Harmony F hole dreadnought with her very first paycheck from her new job. It set her back $50 in 1964.
It was good enough to learn on but no more.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

my mom played guitar and got me a Stella acoustic and showed me my first chords  after a few days I was only allowed to play it in the basement this was when Elvis first came out I painted it several ugly colors you could hear me screeching out houndog god it was auful but she smiled and incourgaged me my next was a tele in 1962.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I have a late 60's Guild Madeira that was a gift for xmas when I was 5. I still play it every day.

In 1981 my dad bought me a very slightly used Takamine f340s and signed me up for lessons.   I think I went to maybe 5...lol  Gave up sad  Fast forward to '06 when I hired an old friend that played... After a few late night jam/drinking gatherings listening to others pick I had the urge to actually try and learn. In late November '06 my wife bought me a Takamine G530 for our anniversary. Chordie was the first guitar site I used on my journey. Been here ever since smile Playing a touch over 5 years now if you can call it that smile

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

My first was also a Sears silvertone Electric around 1963-64. It was a Beatles thing back then.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

A MASADA LES PAUL.  NEVER SEEN ONE SINCE.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

A Yamaha Eterna from Costco.  My wife bought it for me for my birthday 3 weeks before we got married.  I've now got 5 guitars and that's still my only acoustic.  Sounds pretty damn good for $150.

A used Fender Newporter I bought around 1974.  Looked cool but sounded terrible.  Or at least it sounded terrible when i played it.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

A Fender F75 back in the early 80's. I was actually a drummer at the time in a country rock band!

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

Christmas 1958 I got a plastic 'Elvis Presley' 4 string guitar from Father Christmas and I learnt on that until the plastic frets wore down but then had to figure what to do on a guitar with 2 too many strings on it. I have just about got the hang of it now smile.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

My first guitar was a Yamaha, I forget what series, it was so long ago, I was a teenager. The funny thing about it was that I had saved up lots of change, $350.00 or so in fact. Lots of my friends played and I decided I had to have a guitar as well. I called the local music shop and told them I wanted a guitar but all I had was change. They told me sure, bring it in and they would help me count it out, so I did. I paid almost the entire $350.00 for the one I picked out. It is the guitar that I learned chords on which helped me later in life when I got serious about playing. I no longer have that particular guitar, but I just thought I'd share that story.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

My first was in 1959. It was a Silvertone arch-top, which I received as a gift for xmas. It played well enough to learn on. It disappeared about 20 years ago, don't know what happened to it. My ex-wife may have turfed during one of our annual spring basement cleanups.

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

I think it was a Harmony.  It was my wife's guitar, but she didn't play any more.  So I gave a whack at it.  The neck was twisted, so there was always one string out of tune.  Next was a Stella that was given to me when I helped a friend move.  My sister-in-law said she was interested in learning to play, so I gave that one to her along with a few videos.  Then I bought my sister's Epiphone from her and it was a very, very nice guitar.  A while later, I gave it back to her.  It was more of a face-saving "here's some money to help you get through without it being charity" kind of thing for me.  But I got my feet wet.  Then later I helped another friend move.  He had been widowed.  His wife's boyfriend from just before they were married had been a guitar teacher.  So as we were cleaning out the house, we found five old beaters in a closet.  He gave them all to me, and I gave three of them away, gave one to my daughter, and kept one for myself to learn on.  THAT is the one that I learned to play on, which was a Yamaha classical.  Same guitar nearly everyone everywhere learned to play on.  It was beat to heck, but it tuned up and it sounded good.  That's the guitar that I gave to my sister a couple months ago.  In that mix, I also picked up an Ibanez GS that sounds terrific but I'm not much of an electric kind of guy.  I keep it around because I'm thinking of tuning it to an open G or A and learning slide on it. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

When I was a kid, my Dad attempted to show me some chords several times.  Likely, it was on his 1950's Fender acoustic, but nothing ever clicked.  I joined Chordie on day ONE of my learning.  I learned for a few weeks on my husband's Wal-Mart Yamaha... then MY first guitar was an Ibanez Classical.  It's only been a few years, so it's still here, although I hardly ever pick it up anymore.  My daughter thinks she might want to play, so I let her mess around with it and occassionally attempt to show her a chord or two.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

18 (edited by srpetty 2012-01-20 14:20:38)

Had an acoustic and two electrics as a kid.  Can't remember much about any of them.  Didn't stick with it.  Didn't want to learn, I wanted to be able to pick it up and play.

The first guitar I purchased was a Fender DG-8S in October '10.  Good starter, inexpensive with a solid top.  Pushing 50 and I might finally be mature enough to realize some things take some work.

Scott
Philippians 3:13, 14
Takamine GS330S

My first was a Harmony Stella. My first lesson with the Parks dept. summer program I learned House of the Rising Sun. I've been playing it ever since. My first electric was a red Kalmazoo,it looked identical to a Fender Mustang.

My first real guitar was a 70's Tele copy think it was called a Jedson bought with an amp and with a great ambition to emulate Eric Clapton. Needless to say it was one gigantic pipe dream which fizzled out after a few months. Still got the body of the Tele though the electrics died a death years ago may bring it back to life one day.   smile
ark

First acoustic, I don't even recall it had a name on it.It was like 5th hand and well battered and played like the piece of shite that it probably was. But as a musical hook, it did its job. First electric guitar was an Audition bought brand new from our local F.W.Woolworth. Single pick up as I recall, I couldn't afford one of the more expensive ones in the Audition range of crap guitars.

Seagull 25th Anniversary Mahogany Spruce (2008).
I started playing later than most on this forum.

Actually I did buy a Takamine dreadnought back in 1983/4. Nice guitar from what I can remember. Wish I still had it. Likely sold for beer money.
dj

My first was an Angelica acoustic. quite a nice guitar but I've never heard of the brand since. It was left behind in my flat in my college days 35 years ago, so i adopted it!

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

My first was a Christmas gift from my parents when I was in the 7th grade. The JH I attended had a guitar course and I enrolled hoping to become a guitar god. I had a lot of trouble barring and even more trouble practicing. That guitar was a Cauhenga classical. I think the thick neck was one of the reasons I could not barre on it well (and my relatively small hands).

My next was the Epi PR4G A/C my wife bought me last year for Xmas. It was part of a package with amp, strap, etc...

My youngest is learning on my oldest daughter's Symphony(?). We traded on Friday because the one she is learning on is a dreadnought and mine has a smaller body. She told me the same thing my brother (who has a Fender dread) told me: "I would rather play this one...It sounds much better."

So would I Bethany, so would I...

And I have my 60 dollar Behringer electric.