1 (edited by naolslager 2012-01-22 23:00:47)

Topic: All in the Family?

At lunch with my two teenage kids today and they both mentioned they might want to learn the guitar! Three years of my cacophony may have had some ancillary benefits.

Any advice on approaching this further with them. Both have played instruments @ school and have much more talent than I do. My daughter is (almost) a professional-grade vocalist (classical). I am very excited at their interested as I've prayed for this since the beginning. I do not want to botch this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

Standing by for wisdom please.
dj

Re: All in the Family?

First thing that came to mind is that if you end up teaching them don't teach them like they are your kids. As a parent you tend to treat your kids maybe a little more harshly or push their buttons because you know how to get at them. Teach them like they are students that you don't know.

I wish my sin would show some interest in the guitar. He learned twinkle twinkle on the Uke but that lasted for about a week.

Good luck DJ!!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been looking for a person to play with in my area. My friend has two guitars, one of which I re-strung and tuned up in hopes wh would get the hint. Alas, he has not...

Last week I was pondering my dilemma and hit upon an answer! My youngest toodles around on her keyboard. I asked her after school one day if she would be interested in learning how to play guitar. She jumped at the chance! We have been spending about 1/2 hour every day teaching her to play the basics: Parts of a guitar, tuning, open chords, fretwork (picking and moving around the fretboard), etc... She is learning simple songs involving three chords (there are so many out there!).

I am a huge Alice In Chains fan and am trying to learn many of their songs. One of the simplest, and one of my favs, is a song called "Frogs". Friday I showed her how to do the intro. After she learned it I had her play the intro/verse while I did the fills/chorus!

I now have a guitar partner! Hooray!

I started teaching my 18 yr old son guitar about 5 yrs ago. I started with some basic chords and finger exercises. I made sure he didnt wait to long to start on the barr chords. He started looking things up on the internet on his own and has surpassed me about a year ago. I stared teaching my 16 year old son the guitar when he was about 9. He lost intrest very fast so we got him into piano lessons because he showed so much musical promise. He gave up piano after 3 years and wanted to try playing the Bass guitar. It turs out that was his instrument. In less then a yaer he was in two bands, I dont know where it came from. He now plays piano, drums guitar and the bass is his main instrument. You never know. I would just say get behind them no matter what they want to learn. By the way my 9 year old daughter has been taking piano lessons for two years now. One more thing I would strongly suggest is to teach on an acoustic guitar first before they pick up an electric. Good luck and have fun with them, my family has become very close thanks to music.

My advice is to send them for professional lessons, and reinforce the lessons with practice/jam sessions with you. You may even learn a few things from them.
Randy

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

Nope.  I've got no advice.  I do have some good thoughts, and wish you well in the endeavor.  Good luck with it. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I guess an important thing to remember is to teach them songs they like.  Not songs you like.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Keep it fun. Rehearsing to approach perfection soon gets to be like work.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I tried to teach my daughter.Then I decided to send her for lessons. I didn`t have the patience to try myself. After 2 lessons she fell off a swingset and broke her left arm. (at her 9th birthday party). Lessons were put on hold for 2 months. She has been taking lessons since.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I agree with sending for lessons.  Fins a teacher who they will connect with.  someone young and hip always works.  my 9yr old boy took lessons for a year.  now its Youtube as a teacher, but I want to send hom back as soon as I can afford it.   

Not all parents can be good teacher of their kids.  THat is why I wont coach my own kids.  Im too hard on them and wnat them to do better than I think they are doing. (+ I did not learn properly so I want him to be taught correctly.)  now he will ask me one or two things, but I dont push.  just a nudge now and again.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Zurf wrote:

Nope.  I've got no advice.  I do have some good thoughts, and wish you well in the endeavor.  Good luck with it. 

- Zurf

I am in the same camp with zurf on this subjuct,not all subjects though.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Several good suggestions here on the board by everyone. All I would add is try to remember how tough it was for yourself to learn in the beginning, be patient with them, keep it fun, and be supportive.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Keep it FUN!!!!!