1 (edited by Buzzwagon 2012-02-06 11:00:59)

Topic: A little GAS advice needed

This year will be my 50th on our little blue planet and Mrs Buzzwagon, (Marion), has asked me what I'd like for my birthday. I've been GASsing for a Gretsch for ages but, as I'm sure you're all aware, the US made guitars are a small mortgage to buy over here so a Chet Atkins Country Gent it won't be but she's happy to buy me an Electromatic, (5120, 22, or if I get a lucky a second hand 5129).

My question is does anybody have any experience of Gretsch's? Beyond the fact that they're owned by Fender, Electromatics are made in Korea, look the mutts nuts, have a cracking tone and Brian Setzer and Chet play the top end stuff, I know nothing. So what do you know about the low end Gretsch's?

Any help would be great

Thanks
Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

2 (edited by joeyjoeyjoey 2012-02-06 11:27:02)

Re: A little GAS advice needed

One of my favorites is a gretsch acoustic. AMERICANA SERIES. It looks like a toy but it looks,sounds and plays fantastic. Says "wild west sweethearts" on it. I played a country gentleman from the 60s that belonged to a cousin of mine. It was a dream. I once owned a 1967 corvette. Stay away from those. It was awful. Try one out either way, it is like buying a car, You have to take it for a test drive before you buy. Keep in mind that the electrics I played were both american ones. I have a fear of trying out guitars at stores because like stray animals, they follow me home. I`m afraid to try the gretsch`s for that reason.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

We play a Gretsch Electromatic every day in the band, and it's fantastic.   He runs it through Fender tubes and abuses the Bigsby tremolo with fantastic results.   The only real problem he's had with it is the strap nut stripped out, but that is a relatively easy fix.

Great guitar.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I'm not real familiar with Gretsch, but any guitar that looks like the mutts nuts has to be a consideration. smile

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I love the Gretch guitars also,I think Brian Setzer plays the Penguin model. I could be wrong on that though.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

You really need to try one. Both my friends Howard and Richard have them and really like them. I find the neck uncomfortable and would not have one (even if I could afford it smile).

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

7 (edited by dguyton 2012-02-06 20:43:18)

I have both a 5120 and a 5122, both heavily modded.  They do have a slender neck (front to back), which may take some getting used to.  Excellent value for the price; I personally think they're some of the best bang for the buck on the current market.  The 5120 has a deeper body then the '22 and has a deeper sound when not plugged in, but I find the 5122 more comfortable to play.  One caveat, the stock humbuckers are unlike any other pickup on a Gretsch guitar, and may not have quite the same twangyness you might be looking for.  Try to play one before you buy, so you're acquainted with the sound and feel.

It took longer for me to bond with the 5122 than the 5120, but the '22 is now my "go to" guitar for everyday playing.

Full disclosure, I also own a CVT, a Pro Jet, a Tennessee Rose and a 6120 Nashville in the Gretsch line.

Holy crap, I just realized that's about $8000 worth of guitars and mods.  I think I might have a slight Gretsch addiction.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

Dino48, Brian plays both the Hot Rod and his old 6120-1959 "Stray Cat" in his live shows.  Saw him in December.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

Dude, it's a Gretsch...get it!

Thanks everybody, that all seems pretty conclusive. A Gretsch it is then smile

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

dguyton wrote:

Dino48, Brian plays both the Hot Rod and his old 6120-1959 "Stray Cat" in his live shows.  Saw him in December.

I saw him way back in 1985,just after they released thier album ,they put on a fantastic show and his playing was execelent.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Jack White is also very proficient at wringing the neck of his Gretsch, to great effect.

jerome.oneil wrote:

Jack White is also very proficient at wringing the neck of his Gretsch, to great effect.

LOLOLOL Yea he simply abuses the HE!! out of it!  Are you talking about the one he has with the green bullet mic in it?

I like his original red airline too.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

beamer wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:

LOLOLOL Yea he simply abuses the HE!! out of it!  Are you talking about the one he has with the green bullet mic in it?

That one specifically (great mod, I think) but he's great on any guitar he plays.  If you ever get a chance to watch the documentary "This Might Get Loud" it will really show off how talented that guy is.

jerome.oneil wrote:
beamer wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:

That one specifically (great mod, I think) but he's great on any guitar he plays.  If you ever get a chance to watch the documentary "This Might Get Loud" it will really show off how talented that guy is.

I have seen it and yes, he is good. It was also a pleasure watching Jimmy Page (who looks like a sprite to me), play the guitar. Of all the guitarists I would love to meet him as he seems to get true pleasure out of playing. He also appeared to get great pleasure watching, and talking with The Edge and Jack White.

jerome.oneil wrote:
beamer wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:

I have the movie saved to my hard drive! I LOVE IT.  I actually started buying Recontoures (sp) and Dead Weather music cause of the movie.  My respect for the edge went up a few points too LOLOL

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)