Topic: World-wide Jamm Session

Who would be up for it?  Normtheguitar put the bug in my ear.  While Skype may not be fast enough or good enough for us to play simultaneously with one another - it is probably good enough for us to have an electronic "campfire" where we each play and pass the mic from one to the next. 

If we can find a time that's central enough to the people who care to join in, I think it would be a hoot. 

Perhaps some Saturday afternoon U.S. Eastern time.  That way the folks in Europe would be having it early evening.  Western US would be late morning.  Asia and Australia would have a time of it late on a Saturday night or early Sunday morning, but those Australians are a hearty breed.  I just don't know what the African zone is, but I think it's similar to Europe's when I look at a map. 

We'd have to figure out how to say, "Now follow THAT" in Gaelic, Portugese, Belgian, French, Spanish, and Zulu. 

Thoughts? 

I'll sign up as the first willing victim. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: World-wide Jamm Session

I will be the next lamb for slaughter lol

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

It sounds wonderful to me if you can get it scheduled and up and running, Zurf.  My technical savy in that arena is low, but what the hey.  Sign me up.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Great idea, Mr Z! It would be churlish to refuse - so I won't be a churl. My webcam is rubbish, though. Must try & work out how to use a digital camera as a webcam...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

bensonp wrote:

It sounds wonderful to me if you can get it scheduled and up and running, Zurf.  My technical savy in that arena is low, but what the hey.  Sign me up.

I am with pete on this ,I do have skype on my computer and its loaded in,sounds like it would be alot of fun.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

So far the hardest time coordination is England to West Coast US.  That doesn't sound too bad if the West Coasters are willing to play in the mid to late morning and our European friends are willing to play in the early evening.   

I've checked the instructions on Skype.  To do it, everyone has to be on Skype and a central person has to build a group.  Search me on Skype if you like.  I used my real name, which is Derek Zurfluh.  Send me a message with your Skype name and also your Chordie 'handle' so that I'll know who you are.  How funny that we know one another's handles and consider the real names the "who-dats".

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Zurf would we be doing only one song or our on song? and I do not know how to use my skype yet,just got it. do you have a date when we will do this.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I'd love to participate. I know Guitarpix has done similar projects, so maybe he could recommend the best platform. I know google and yahoo both offer video chat, but I don't know how it works for groups? What do ya say Pix - what works best?

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Dino - Each person does one song, then passes the baton to the next in line.  Keep going around and around as long as we feel like it.  Stagger off to bed when we can't hang any more if we don't fall asleep in our chairs first.  No date yet.  I don't know how to use Skype either.  But how hard can it be (famous last words). 

- Zurf

I will let you know when I get Skype. Early evening I should be sober enough LOL

Keep Music Live....The Language of the World

You might consider using Google Plus, they have something called a hangout, where you can have x amount of people in a group with video, who ever is talking, or playing in this case, their feed will pop up to the biggest screen on top, while the others are still on screen but smaller lined up across the bottom. It's just a thought, you have to have an account, but it's free.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Thanks Cam.  I'll check it out.

And also Zurf, why don't you try a short version with 3-4 people on Skype and see how that goes.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

depending on how it may be scheduled,I may be. Even if not to play,just to meet and say hi to all of you.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Number one to me!!!!!

I video chatted Zurf on Skype a couple of hours ago. He is no longer a Skype virgin lol.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

OK, an idea.  Why don't we split into small groups and give it a try.  I haven't used skype, but I just downloaded it and don't really know how to use it yet.  Practice makes perfect.

I like that idea Pete.  I'm going to check out Google+ too.  I like the idea of a 'hang-out' if it is really what it implies.  If it's a place you can come and go, check to see if anyone's logged in, that would be great.   With Skype, we'll have to schedule a particular time, ask folks to be on-line with the Skype accounts open a few minutes ahead of time, and then someone make the call.  Not too hard at all, but it requires a bit of coordination. 

So, it's Sunday noon-time here on the East Coast of the U.S.  Whoever would like to try a small version at 2:00 U.S. time, e-mail me with your Skype name or send me a Skype connection request.  Email is under my name attached to this message.  My Skype address is Derek Zurfluh. 

See someone (maybe) in two hours. 

- Zurf

Well I guess a two-hour heads up was too ambitious.  It's 2:00 eastern and no one has sent me a notice saying they'd like to give it a try. 

How about a couple of Americans (in this case using Americans with the broader meaning of North, Middle, and South America) give it a try one evening?  I don't mean to leave out the Europeans, but it will be easier to do a small test without the larger time difference given that our West Coast's early evening is your middle of the night. 

I'll let a few Americans chime in with timing of when they are available and we'll get a test date and time set. 

- Zurf

Wow, just read this thread and would love to be a part, but as others have said, not sure of the process.  Keep up the info and I will try to better understand what is needed and how I could at least look in or maybe be a part!

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.
Big Jim from Ashville Ohio

Process right now is to get a Skype account if you don't have one (they're free).  When you get it, send a connection invitation (I'm not sure of the right terminology) to Derek Zurfluh (that's me).   More to follow. 

- Zurf

I'll have to find the link but we did this a few years ago and have a live feed Chordie page already set up. Members could log on and see what others were available to play with via video and audio feed. It worked nicely and I played along with a few members but it didn't catch on and the thread faded away.....    I still play with people from youtube pretty often and it's a great way to share ideas smile

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I have Skype but need to buy a microphone because my P.C. doesn't have one built-in like some lap tops do.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Zurf,
Would it be permissible to tune in but not play? I'm not ready for prime time but this would be a way for me to learn.
dj

DJ - To the degree there is a limit on the number of people who can participate at one time, I think it's fair to give priority to folks who want to play.  But if all slots aren't taken, then I surely don't object to you joining and not playing.  Though I seriously and sincerely encourage you to play anything.  You have seen how folks are on here.  You won't be laughed at or made fun of.  You'll only be encouraged and get some suggestions that may help you.  It could only be positive for you.  You would not BELIEVE how badly I played at my first campfire session.  Unbelievably bad, but everyone there was encouraging and helpful. 

- Zurf

I'm in, if the time works.  I've been working evenings lately and that will only continue.  At the moment I'm not scheduled to work this coming weekend but that will more than likely change in the future.  My skype name is the same as my handle here... I'm also on google plus although I rarely check in on it.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.