1 (edited by naolslager 2012-02-20 14:15:30)

Topic: Bitten By Nylon

About a month ago I picked up a nylon-strung classical guitar. I was quite pleasantly surprised. Lightly built, articulate, and it required a very light touch to make a sound. So now I'm on the hunt for a nylon-stringed guitar. Previously I could not understand why anyone would want one. Now I know.

I don't think I'm really interested in playing "classical" music but one never knows. Until then I may even use a pick on the nylon strings. I know this is against doggie ordinance but if I like it and can make a decent sound I don't see the problem. I should be able to get away with it since I'm not really a musician or guitarist, more of a hack.
dj

p.s. anyone else play both steel and nylon?

Re: Bitten By Nylon

I had a 12 string Yamaha dreadnought guitar with the nut broken where the first string groove was. My buddy (with busted up hands) needed an easy playing acoustic guitar so I put six nylon strings on the old Yamaha
and gave it to him.
I was surprised how nice the Yamaha sounded with nylon strings and how easily it played.
He traded it for a nice Ibanez we both liked better.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Funnily enough, I was thinking of putting nylon strings on an old Yamaha steel string Jumbo, but someone at Zurf's local music store told me it was a bad idea. I also played a couple of songs at a private party recently, and a young lady I vaguely know was also playing. She had a Yamaha (again) that looked like a steel string, but was designed for nylon strings, with a classical type headstock. She picked it up in a junk shop £15 (about $23)!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Did a little digging and found this  http://www.google.com/products/catalog? … IIBEPMCMAE   Long link huh? Anyhow you can pick this Yamaha up for less than $150.00. Might be a place to start

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

NTG - I think the guy at my local store told you not to put string on a nylon guitar.  He did say that he wasn't sure what would happen to the neck when it had less tension on it than it was designed to have. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I started with nylon/classical, and I still have it.  I don't play it much, but lately as I've been trying to get barre chords down I've been picking it up.  It's a lot easier to barre, much less pressure is required.  They have an entirely different sound and are amazing for picking if you like the sound.  I like the much fuller sound of my steel epi dread these days though.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Hey u gotta try classical pieces...u definitely will enjoy!!!!!!