Topic: Playing guitar by ear

This is an exparament to see just how many other people out there can play guitar by hearing something and then being able to play it. I'm told it's not that common. So how many out there can?

Without music life would be a journey through a desert.

I Cor 14:15

Re: Playing guitar by ear

Depends on the song. If the chords are straightforward, I can work out most songs eventually! But I still can't tune up by ear very well!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Not me.  I can sometimes get a bass riff, but not too often. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

None of us are savants, for sure.  I can't listen to a new tune and then just play it.  Wish I could.  It takes me forever to learn a new riff in a song and that is with much practice and reading the tabs and watching videos of others do it.  And then, still it takes a lot of extra time to get it down smooth once I know the riff.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Ive only figured out a song once.The rest of the time, I have to see it on paper or chordie. Without my seiko quartz,I would never be in tune

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I tune by ear, but usually check it. Luckily for me, I am usually pretty close.
I can learn some songs by listening/playing along, but not often.

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

My mate Lefteris  can  do  this   its  amazing  to  watch  he  just  listens  to  a  song  and  imediatly  picks  out  the chords ,problem  is he  also  picks up  on  all the  bum  notes  I  play .its  like  having  your  music  teacher on  stage with  you ,last  gig had a  tiny  stage  and  hes  sat  behind  me  playing  bass and telling me  where  Ive  gone wrong  before  Ive  done it .I  dont  mind  though  my playing  has  improved  vastly   through  his  input .
Every  band  should  have  one .

8 (edited by Buzzwagon 2012-02-22 22:28:43)

I've got a theory that those who have been playing since before the advent of the internet can probably work songs out easier than those who have always had access to the net while playing. Then there was no easy access to chords, music or tab for songs and the only way to learn them was by ear if you didn't want to buy the music. What do others think?

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

You have a point Jerry, but I started learning way before internet, but quit for years in between.  I really think you've either got the ability or you don't and only a small per centage can do it.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I don't have a musical ear. I can tell if my guitar is out of tune and get it close to being in tune, but that's about it. I can't tell what chords are being played when listening to a song.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Although I primarily play songs I write, I occasionally hear one I want to learn.  I'm guessing about 80% of the time I work it out by just listening to it.  However most of the songs I like to play are pretty simple folk/Americana type tunes that are pretty easy.  I look up the lyrics quite often but rarely look at tabs.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

I have played guitar for 36 years. I have always been able to play by ear. I hear I song I love, pick the key I can sing it in and work up the chords. Piece of cake. I don't read a lick of music. It's all chords. it works for a lot of people!!!

13 (edited by bigbob99 2012-02-23 07:11:26)

If i really like or feel connected to the song then yeah i find it pretty easy but a little trick to remember is to get yourself a chordchart set out in keys (eg songs in G are usually G C D, add Am and Em and you'll soon be Mozart!!) remember your majors and one or two minors and sevenths and you've got it by the short and curleys. Also remember most songs are 3 - 5 Chords (for lead go to scales {YUK}]

Six String guitar is an art form to be persued manfully--Twelve string guitar is MADNESS!!

Just an afterthought re last post ;
i would highly recommend "Guitar Case Chord Book" in full color.published by Amsco Publications distributed by Music Sales Pty Ltd 120 Rothschild st Rosebery Sydney NSW 2018.lays everything out in key format also gives color photos of hand positions as well as chord diagrams plus transposition of keys movable chords etc. AND FITS NEATLY INTO YOUR GUITAR CASE!! any good music shop should carry it for about the price of a set of strings.

That's good advice bigbob99.  Thanks.  Next time I'm in my favorite shop, I'll take a look for that book.  I've got a similar one for bass and for some reason just never considered one for guitar.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Before Chordie..  I learned the majority of songs by ear.  As many of us maybe, I cannot read a note of music but of course, can read chords.  I'm actually amazed at how many tunes I had pretty much accurate when I checked them against Chordie..  but.. thank goodness for this site..  love it.   Deb

Just to add, that I sometimes look up a song on Chordie, try out the chords that are given and it doesn't sound right to me! If I can't work out the chords myself, I may have to look up several versions of the same song and take the best bits of each until it sounds OK. Youtube is useful, too, as you can find lessons of how to play a particular song. But I think it's interesting that several people can transcribe a song in different ways - maybe we just "hear" things differently, or rely on memory rather than listening to the original. Not that that is wrong in any way...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Buzzwagon wrote:

I've got a theory that those who have been playing since before the advent of the internet can probably work songs out easier than those who have always had access to the net while playing. Then there was no easy access to chords, music or tab for songs and the only way to learn them was by ear if you didn't want to buy the music. What do others think?

Jerry

NOpe I dont agree.

Playing since the 80's  I cant play by ear at all.  I have come sorta close a few times,,, but that was it.   Have about 4 friends who can be like a Tape player.... Sucks!  If I had a better ear  I would be better off,, The internet is a MAJOR HELP.  Hey it got me to this site!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I tried to play by ear,but I couldnt get the pick to stay in my ear.So I think i`ll continue to play with my hands. (I COULDN`T RESIST THAT ONE, THE DEVIL MADE ME DO IT). Remember Flip Wilson used to say that

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

The only song I have played by ear, so far, is "Feel Like Making Love" by Bad Company. It took about ten or fifteen minutes to do it and I found I was fairly accurate. I think I got lucky though...

My nephew, on the other hand, knows where every note is on the fretboard. I can do a rhythm in G and he will solo throughout the riff. He tunes his guitar by ear and has never used a tuning machine.

once and awile I can pick up a chord or two but I never have done a whole song. I can tell when my guitar is out of tune.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I am able to play guitar by ear. This talent runs in three generations in my family although it skipped my moms generation and came thorugh to me and my other sister who plays mandolin. I have put chords to many songs just by listenting but if I'm not familar with a chord I get stuck and yeah the internet is a great help.

Without music life would be a journey through a desert.

I Cor 14:15