Topic: New Music

I'm kind of blah on my iTunes playlist at the moment. I have lots of good folk, funk, acoustic, jazz, blues, rock, rockabilly, country, bluegrass, metal, ska, reggae, classical, operatic, and even some Broadway, top 40 and rap. Just looking for something new. Maybe in one of those genres, maybe in another.

Any suggestions?

2 (edited by easybeat 2012-02-14 06:49:56)

Re: New Music

Have a listen to Paulo Nutini,

Try some early Split Enz  really different to the usual.

The King Of Audio Torture

3 (edited by zguitar 2012-02-14 06:20:21)

Of the top of my head:

Brother Yusef - solo blues man very cool

2 cellos - amazing what hey can do with a cello

Playing for change vids are always worth a look

Swing, Dixieland Jazz, Big Band 1940's

If you've never listened to Japanes Shamisen music it's pretty cool. Old school or rock, they're both awesome. Yoshida brothers are on the forefront of rock.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I recently listened to some Gregorian chants that were interesting, if a bit tiresome after awhile.

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

This is one I have listed to learn eventually. The chorus should sound good with my vocal harmonizer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKaJ9UTZUhQ

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Thanks for the suggestions all!
Brother Yusef. Holy Crap.

Guy Clark, Trampled by Turtles, Mark Broussard, The J Band, Ka'apuli (sp?) Brothers, and jump back into some old school stuff too.  Maynard Ferguson, Dizzy Gillespie, Doctor John, C.J. Chenier, nothing wrong with them either. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Cross Canadian Ragweed, The Duhks, and Old Crow Medicine Show are all high on my list of "wanna-haves" music-wise right now too. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Baldguitardude wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions all!
Brother Yusef. Holy Crap.

I know right!?!?! I got to see him last year playing out in front of the House of Blues in Anaheim. I instantly liked him. Very humble, soft-spoken, cool guy. All he wants to do is play his music.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Zurf we have lots of overlap. I have lots of Maynard, Dizzy, Dr. John, Cross Canadian Ragweed, OCMS!

My life has been consumed lately by

Pickwick, Hayes Carll, The Dwarves (still the best band ever), The Horseflies, The Civil Wars' rendition of Michael Jackson's "Billy Jean," Zoe Muth, and Ben Gilmer.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Baldguitardude wrote:

Zurf we have lots of overlap. I have lots of Maynard, Dizzy, Dr. John, Cross Canadian Ragweed, OCMS!

That's not the only overlap.  Remember our fashionable hairstyles.

Have you done much with Zydeco BGD?  If you like so many of the other bands, perhaps diving into Zydeco would be fun for you. 

Another thing to do would be to take all the names of bands listed so far in this thread and plug them into a Pandora station and see what else it comes up with by applying the Music Genome Project. 

- Zurf

I created a Pandora station that includes all of the mentioned artists (the ones Pandora found anyway).   

I shared it with the name Chordie Recommendations in my profile.  My profile is under dzurfluh@verizon.net. 

- Zurf

Love pandora!
I guess all that's left is acapella, Baldguitardude. smile

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

Sallie Ford and the Sound Outside
The Black Keys
Imelda May

Bagpipes?

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

BGD, I have been playing alot of stuff I have found in the misc. music section here,alot of good stuff from movies,tv and commercials.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Leonaed Cohen, Marshall Crenshaw, Richard Thompson. Any Warren Zevon that doesn`t get airplay. Ben Folds. All things my bandmates don`t want to play. My radio stations in my car are mostly on the left side of the dial. 3 college stations in this area play great music.  Try the left side of your radio dial sometime. You just have to find the right stuff at the right time. My job has me in 4 different supermarkets up to 12 hours a day. So I get stuck listening to mild top 40 music all day. When I get in my work truck or car,I listen to what I want.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I listen to some zydeco. Never played it.

I'm not on the Black Keys bandwagon. At. All.

Here's another one I thought of.

http://www.cgryche.com/Videos.htm

I've been to one of his concerts and he's done a few for the after school program that I work at. He also plays Downtown Disney alot. The 10th vid down, Micah House, was taped at our 2nd location.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Ever tried any Slackkey or Bossa Nova??  2 of my favorite styles to play...

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I forget who recommended Zoe Muth, but she's FANTASTIC!

Zurf wrote:

I forget who recommended Zoe Muth, but she's FANTASTIC!

That was me, and yes she is.  She's also a Seattle native. 

* Steps up on soapbox...

One of the great things about living here is that the music scene has always been geared towards original acts, rather than cover bands.  If you write and play your own stuff, there are a lot of opportunities to play, and the result is a long, long line of really talented folks coming out of this town.  You can go all the way back to Bing Crosby, and your path will cross The Whalers (of Louie Louie fame), Jimi Hendrix, Heart, Kenny G, the small army of fabulous grunge bands that fell out of Andy Woods' (of Mother Love Bone) death that included Mudhoney, Pearl Jam, and bits of Soundgarden, but also Alice in Chains and Nirvana,  to the modern and bizarre and "indie" like Death Cab for Cutie,   The Postal Service, The Melvins, Modest Mouse, The Posies, The Presidents of the United States of America, and even Sir-Mix-a-Lot.

Now we're seeing a bit of an "old time" country revival, of which Zoe is one of the tops.  I discovered her as an opener for Justin Townes Earle at the Tractor Tavern a couple years ago (seems like, anyway) and immediately fell in love.  She was visibly nervous, but it took about three seconds of her singing to wow the crowd.  Another one to check out is Ben Gilmer.  He's from Georgia originally, but moved up here a few years ago to pursue his Ph.D at the University, and oh yeah... make records.  smile  I found him the same way.  Opening up for Joe Pug.   Something about the Tractor makes for great openers, I guess.

* Steps off soapbox....

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]