1 (edited by mercer 2012-02-24 15:14:30)

Topic: Buying a guitar

Hi, I think I after 5 years, I can now strum out tune, and I am now looking to up-grade my  guitar.
Would anybody have any suggestions on what guitar? at the moment I play an old 70's Blueridge BR-OS acoustic . My interest in music are wide, Rock,country,blue's.So many people talk about tone,middle range,and sustain. I am so confused! I don,t want a new guitar,I would still like an older version of  a quality guitar.I have about £300.00 to spend, I think in dollars this is about $650.00.
Regards.
John.

Re: Buying a guitar

Acoustic-I am partial to Yamaha.A higher grade Yamaha is well within your price range. Electric- a mexican Fender stratocaster is affordable(especially used),and you will still have enough to buy a decent amp. Hope that helps. Best bet is to go to stores and look what they have in your price range and play with them. Don`t worry about what the name on the headstock says. If it sounds and plays good to you,it is a great guitar.That is why my favorite guitar is a 1984 Yamaha sj-180.Probably worth about 50.00 usd. It sounds great and plays great to me,so it is a great guitar.Go for a test drive like you would a car.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

The Loar makes an interesting acoustic arch-top in that price range.  I don't know what's wrong with a Blueridge, though I definitely understand the desire to buy another guitar. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I wish I couid help.  I do the same thing.  When I feel I am doing quite a bit better, I start looking for the next better.  Good luck to you.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

WARNING: buying guitars can become addictive. Buying amps can become addictive. Not from the surgeon general,but from anyone on here. If anyone can prove me wrong, do it. Symptoms: go into a guitar center and try not to look in wonder like a 5 year old at toys r us.All those toys but you can get only one.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

bensonp wrote:

I wish I couid help.  I do the same thing.  When I feel I am doing quite a bit better, I start looking for the next better.  Good luck to you.

I want to know how you're going to better that Martin of yours Pete!!! I reckon you're about there buddy

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

John,

Joey gives some great advice there. If you're adamant about changing the Breedlove go to your local dealer and try everything in your price range and go a bit above too. Don't discount Fleabay but I'd recommend always play before you buy, (there are some unscrupulous sods out there), so go local if you can.

Oh and if you're selling dollars at that rate I'll give you £300 for $650! The actual figure is closer to $450 and you'll be doing well to get a MIM Fender AND an amp in the UK for that but a Strat or Tele certainly wouldn't out of the question.

Good luck and let us know what you get but remember, without photo's it didn't happen.

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

I'll second JJJ's opinion of Yamaha's. I have 3 of them. Also, you can't go wrong with a Godin brand. Seagull, Art & Lutherie, Norman, Simon & Patrick. I have an A & L and love it. I'd buy a Seagull S6 in a second.

Go to your local guitar shop and touch every one of their guitars and see what gets you excited.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Mercer the blue ridge is a really good guitar,if you want one in the other price range go to a shop and try them out,I myself will not buy a guitar online as I want too know what it sounds like and if it feels right. I have a yamaha and takamine acoustic both are good low priced guitars. I also have a made in mexico fender stratocaster which sounds and plays as good as a made in america stratocaster.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Yamaha SJ-180s are great guitars.

naolslager wrote:

Yamaha SJ-180s are great guitars.

True, Mine looks like it went through the wringer.I paid 125.00 for it in 1984. It was damaged in shipping. The headstock was broken and the neck had a couple cracks going lengthwise. It was reglued and has held since.Plus the body had some scratches and dents from the same mishap that happened. But it played like a dream. Perfect size,a little smaller than a dreadnought. It is also covered in stickers.Most I put on,some my daughter put on.I was going to take a hair dryer and heat them off but I see it as a trip through time now. From a 1984 WBCN sticker to an apple cinnamon cheerios sticker that came on the box.Muppets,hello kitty, narragansett beer,bible quotes. Something for everyone. As great as they are,mine is still an sj-180 that is damaged and covered with stickers.  If you can find one in good shape,grab it.It is a great utility guitar. Where a martin is a cadillac, an sj-180 is a ford pickup.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

Are you thinking another dread or a smaller body?  Yamaha does make some some great guitars... If you're wanting fairly new (gently used) I'd  consider either a LS or LL 16 series Yamaha....   They're a real gem tonally smile  If you're wanting Vintage be very cautious with yamahas,  they're known for developing bad neck angles and needing a reset which is very costly with them being dovetail and hide glued... Just be sure to ask plenty of questions and ask for plenty of pics smile Make sure the action is fairly low and you have enough saddle above the bridge for further adjustment. Other than that, A 70's Yamaha Red Label Nippon Gakki would be an excellent choice... IMO

I'll second Godin also (Simon & Patrick, Norman, Art & Lutherie, Seagull, etc..)  They're slightly shorter scale making them easier to play and giving them a slightly "looser/more mellow" tone. You could find a S&P Pro or Seagull Artist used in that price range and they are both great guitars with the only real difference being the 1.8 vs 1.72 inch nut width...   The only real word of caution about buying these used is to be careful for excessive bellying in models over 7 years old....   Before then they were true flat top guitars and while they sound excellent they are prone to bellying so just be careful if buying online.  About 7 years ago they switched to slightly radiused top that solved the problem but to me they don't sound quite as lively as the flat tops so it was a little of a design trade off.  But then again ageing could be a factor there....  I've got 2 of the first S&P Pro's and a newer S&P Showcase. The new ones are more heavily built and braced...

I'd like to add Yairi to your list as well smile   Didn't see that coming huh guys...lol  It's no secret that I'm a Yairi nut!!  IMPO They are the best bang for the buck out there!  I'm especially partial to the 70's thru early 80's models wink

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I think we all know that the first words you utter at your weekly meetings are:

"Hello. My name is Pix and am a Yari addict........................" lol

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Great advice! going to be very careful on this one,I'll stick with the Blueridge for now.
Regards.
John.
P.S.I used to collect film cameras,now I have a house full!

Jerry you've hit on the head,see how useless I am $150.00 out . I've just googled the Blueridge BR-OS that I have and it's not so bad after all! so for now I will soldier on with it.
Cheers.
John.

Buzzwagon wrote:

John,

Joey gives some great advice there. If you're adamant about changing the Breedlove go to your local dealer and try everything in your price range and go a bit above too. Don't discount Fleabay but I'd recommend always play before you buy, (there are some unscrupulous sods out there), so go local if you can.

Oh and if you're selling dollars at that rate I'll give you £300 for $650! The actual figure is closer to $450 and you'll be doing well to get a MIM Fender AND an amp in the UK for that but a Strat or Tele certainly wouldn't out of the question.

Good luck and let us know what you get but remember, without photo's it didn't happen.

Jerry

You can always get what you have upgraded.A good setup can do wonders.My yamaha played awful after 25 years of playing.A good setup and 65.00 later,it was better than ever. Like the old cliche: stick with the devil you know.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

hi john, just because  blueridge has a good name doesn't mean that yours is the best representative of the make. i had a strat and played it for 30 + years cos i thought it was a good guitar. it sounded crap to me, and now it sits in my attic gathering dust. it put me off fenders for a long time. when the replacement got me down (a real cheapy) i tried lots of guitars, avoiding fenders at all costs. when nothing got the juices flowing, i told the shop guy to pass me the telecaster off the stand. i didn't need to play it, i knew i'd found my soul-mate. i bought it there and then and never looked back.

moral is; if your not happy with what you've got look for something you will be happy with.

phill

PS. as an afterthought, you could take your guitar to your local music shop and ask for it to be set up proffessionaly if they have a guitar doctor. if they dont, check-out yellow pages.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Many thanks for that,but you know I think because I found this guitar in a market ( paid £20.00 )for it, I some how think it's a cheapy! I know that I don't wan't a new chinese version of a big brand named guitar,so I will take my " cheapy" have have it set up before deciding to up-grade.
Cheers.
John.

Phill Williams wrote:

hi john, just because  blueridge has a good name doesn't mean that yours is the best representative of the make. i had a strat and played it for 30 + years cos i thought it was a good guitar. it sounded crap to me, and now it sits in my attic gathering dust. it put me off fenders for a long time. when the replacement got me down (a real cheapy) i tried lots of guitars, avoiding fenders at all costs. when nothing got the juices flowing, i told the shop guy to pass me the telecaster off the stand. i didn't need to play it, i knew i'd found my soul-mate. i bought it there and then and never looked back.

moral is; if your not happy with what you've got look for something you will be happy with.

phill

PS. as an afterthought, you could take your guitar to your local music shop and ask for it to be set up proffessionaly if they have a guitar doctor. if they dont, check-out yellow pages.

Hi, I don't think Blueridge guitars were around at that time!
Cheers.
John.

JASBIRSINGH wrote:

HELLO  have any suggestions on what guitar? at the moment I play an old 70's Blueridge BR-OS acoustic . My interest in music are wide, Rock,country,blue's.So many people talk about tone,middle range,and sustain. I am so confused! I don,t want a new guitar,I would still like an older version of  a quality guitar.I have about £300.00 to spend, I think in dollars this is about $60.00