Topic: anyone else have a default strumming pattern?

About two years ago, when i began playing, I learned my first strumming pattern. (Bob Marley's Redemption Song in case you're wondering) Well, to this day, whenever I hear a song I immediately use that strumming pattern. Its pretty easy to switch to the real/right pattern, or one that sounds better with the song.
I was just wondering if anyone else has their own sort of "default" strumming pattern.

If you spend your life judging people, how will you ever have time to love them ♥

Re: anyone else have a default strumming pattern?

D.D.DUDU

no particular reason except its

4/4 time

with some stress on first beat

Yep i got one as well.

I always seem to revert too DDUUDU.

Craig.

Blind acceptance is a sign, of stupid fools who stand in line.  John Lydon.

'Mod' is a shorter word for 'young, beautiful and stupid' - we've all been there." - Pete Townshend.

dddudud du dddudud and so on...that's my default...:)

i am haveing troubles with the same thing i cannot figure out the strumming patters to use on knockin on heavens door and wonderful tonight i have only been playing for 6 months if someone could help me please reply to my forum

Yeah, same here, but I've been playing for 7 months...I'm also not very good at strumming...actually I'd like to learn how to pick too...the pattern I use for strumming is udud udud...or something like that I think...

Rock on!

Probably.  All the songs I play sound alike.  Maybe I should pay attention and find out what I do. 

I know I've got a default fingerpicking pattern because I can't break myself of the habit of the same pattern.  I'd LIKE to play something different, and you'd THINK that I ought to be able to do something about it, but every time I play it's the same old pattern coming out of the guitar.  Go figure. 

- Big D

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

very useful thread

Thank you for posting!

also use the DDUUDU pattern, matches for a lot of songs to smile

I always seem to do DDUUDU or DDUDUDU

hey Learnin2Play321 , try strumming down, then backpicking strings 1, 2, 3, 1 for both wonderful tonight and knocking on heavens door. Once you get that you can vary the backpicking a little. Sounds great, and easy as you like. same principal for Paradise City by G 'n' R, just a little more in depth! hope this helps
besti

She aint exactly pretty, she aint exactly small
but at 42-39-56, you could say she's got it all....

Besti wrote:

hey Learnin2Play321 , try strumming down, then backpicking strings 1, 2, 3, 1 for both wonderful tonight and knocking on heavens door. Once you get that you can vary the backpicking a little. Sounds great, and easy as you like. same principal for Paradise City by G 'n' R, just a little more in depth! hope this helps
besti

That sounds rather interesting, wouldn't mind having a go at that. Do you mean count one on the strum and then 2.3.4 on the up picking on a 4/4

Besti wrote:

besti

do you mean fingerstyle under chords

D     

--2-----3------------3-------------------------------------
--3---------2-----------------------------------------
--2--------------3-----------------------------
--0-----------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------

an easy strum I use for Knocking on heaven's door is D_DU_D_DU_D_UUD_UUDUDU, I know it isn't what Dylan used, but it's the best sounding IMO that I've yet to find, although I'm still looking for the right one

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix