Topic: Easiest String Change, etc.

I'm basically "guitar maintenance phobic" and am looking for suggestions on the easiest style of electric guitar for changing strings.  I've never owned a guitar w/ a 6 in line headstock and think that would be simpler than the standard headstock.   

Do any semi-hollows come with sort of pinless bridges like some acoustics? Not so much the lack of pins, but the easy hook and loop thing.

Also, why don't electrics come with built in tuners like a lot of acoustic-electric guitars?

Thanks!

Re: Easiest String Change, etc.

This link can help you to changing electric guitar strings.

http://guitar.about.com/od/beginners/ss … trings.htm

signature removed by mod. no spam please

Boy that`s a tough one. It could be a matter of preference.I find acoustics(except Fender) with pin bridges the easiest of acoustics to restring.Epiphones and gibson eledtrics I hate stringing.Especially pulling the bass strings through the stop tailpiece. The absolute easiest to string are my Rickenbacker 450 and danelectro silvertone. My fender strat is my utility guitar that I use the most. I dread stringing it.Pulling the strings through the body is a pain.When I buy an axe, I take these factors into account.The six in line headstock isn`t the factor for me. It`s what goes on at the tailpiece that I look at. Do you know any old timers who can teach you how to string a guitar. It never ceases to amaze me at some of the hack jobs I have seen when I restring guitars I have bought. Just because a string is a certain length,doesnt mean you have to use every inch of it. I hope that helps some.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

4 (edited by beamer 2012-02-22 00:17:14)

Cork_92 wrote:

I'm basically
Also, why don't electrics come with built in tuners like a lot of acoustic-electric guitars?

Thanks!

because as an electric player,, I have a tuner either in my effects chain or its built into the amp.  Also many are solid body guitars.  I guess you could have a big bodied Gretch or Gibson 335 modded, but why ruin a beautiful guitar?

Trick for the stop-bar tails,,, leave at lest one string on.  No matter what style headstock you have, there are tricks.  Then do you have full locking trem sys?  Just figure out what works for you.  ill add another  link or two for you.

http://www.youtube.com/user/FruduaTv#p/u/7/eo5i2wkXaoY

http://www.youtube.com/user/FruduaTv#p/u/16/5_qZ_QGXI4w

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Thanks for the tips.  I'm going to keep my eyes out for a Danelectro reissue w/ six inline tuners.  The videos were very helpful. Thanks.

I had to follow my own advice today.Restrung 2 strats and an epiphone dot studio.I was on a roll until I ran out of electric strings. Bought 3 more sets today.My usual brand.Whatever is cheapest as long as they start with a 10. Ended up with DARCOs.Still have 2 more electrics to do and a few acoustics.The problem with multiple guitars is that they have to be restrung eventually.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

If you get a tele with the old style bridge, the strings just pass through the back of the "ashtry" instead of through the body, and all the tuners are inline. I can't think of any easier than that. Definitly stay away from Floyd Rose and Bigsby equipped models.

They are easy to change.I just hate the noise that roundwound bass strings make when they go through the tailpiece. Once you get experienced to changing strings,its easy. But after 30years,I could never get used to that noise. That and rubbing 2 poker chips together.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

My main electric is a Westone which was given to me as a gift.  It has six inline, but also a Floyd Rose...uggghhhh.

Anyway, I bought a used Dean Vendetta for $50 to use for experimenting w/ open tunings for slide work, etc.  I've been pleasantly surprised. The bridge raises very easily.  Any suggestions on a tele-style neck w/ the six inline headstock?  Also,  Are there specific measurements I'd need to take to do this? Thanks again!

10 (edited by joeyjoeyjoey 2012-02-29 08:57:25)

you can buy an extension nut to raise the action.Theyre dirt cheap and all you have to do is loosen the strings and retune after.Much easier than trying to adjust the bridge.If you change your mind,it comes off just as easily.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

Yeah, I bought a couple of the Stew Mac extension nuts, but they eliminate fretted notes.  I believe  the Dean Vendetta has a tune-o-matic bridge, but it has the string through the body design.

Sperzels help too.

I've been looking at a few of the tele-style guitars with the ashtray bridges.  I've also noticed some tele-style guitars that don't have the string through feature.