Topic: Lessons Learned Skyping

1. Skype accounts are free, but at least one person on the call has to have a premium account to use video in conference calls.
2. It's easier to add people to a call than to get them all at once using a "group".
3. It's extremely easy to encourage consumption of adult beverages.  All it takes is clinking ice cubes near the microphone or holding a beer bottle up to the camera. 
4. It works better if folks who are not playing at the moment mute their mics.  Remember to un-mute to clap or comment. 
5. Time goes fast. 
6. Once on the call, someone who drops off can rejoin easily if the call is still going. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Lessons Learned Skyping

In all, the technology worked VERY well.  How crazy is it that I can sit in a basement in Virginia's Piedmont and watch and listen to a guy playing a guitar and singing in the middle of a caravan sitting in a field in Portugal?  Jules Verne would really dig it.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

My lesson, along with all the above - make sure you change your default sound settings so that you can hear everyone through the computer's speakers... otherwise people could be talking about you or to you without your knowledge as your computer pretends you have a headset on.  OH... and I'm not sure but also maybe turn your computer's sound volume down while playing so there's not a ton of feedback.  I'm not sure how that sounded on your end guys, but there were a few times while I was playing that I was getting a bunch of feedback.  I turned my speaker volume down the one time, and it at least got rid of the feedback on my end while playing.  And - Skype handles USB mic changes pretty well on the fly too!  Just remember those setting changes!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I did notice on some that as they got going pretty far into the song their sound got more distortion and started fading in and out.  It has to be individual settings at each end that causes this.  I am sure we will learn more as we go.  It sure was fun being part of a group like this.  What a great bunch of people.  It also gives us a chance to work off our stage fright with each other.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I have noticed when using Skype before that the sound is fine to start with, but will begin to drop out or distort after a few minutes. Don't know the answer to this, but will do some research if I can remember! There may be a troubleshooting guide on Skype, possibly...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

My addition to Zurf's list:

7. It is a heck of a lot of fun!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

It was fun. Topdown, I posted Cpperhead road if you haven't seen it.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

i got the skype working(i think)If anyone can test it for me it is joeyjoeyjoey21..Thanks in advance

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Never thought of using skype to play with friends but I have used it in my gaming (along with team speak). I have found that playing Modern Warfare, or guitars, can be much funner when you are talking to buddies. When I am on Team Speak with the guys I play with I don't care how bad I do, I just have lots more fun!

Great idea using skype for having a jam.

As far as the degradation of sound I have never experienced it. Perhaps it is your computer heating up. A hot computer (sound card or vid card, motherboard, etc...) will degrade performance fast. If you are going to play guitar over skype (which will tax a low-end sound card) you may want to place a fan by your computer with the airflow going toward the tower.

JX3 - I will add you to Skype now... but I won't be "presentable" on camera until a bit later in the day (was working till midnight and just on coffee cup nbr 1).  But we'll try it out at some point!!  smile

Well triple J... it didn't work.  I sent you an email via skype.  Hopefully you'll get it ok (with the email address you have on file here at chordie) and we can get your skype working before the weekend!  smile

I just found Joe (Jx3) and sent him a request as normal.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

duh... I didn't even attempt to find him without the extra numbers.  Did I mention I just highlighted my hair and am a little more blonde today than I was before?

Amy we all hope you will not blond out on us.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Ha ha ha...  I promise I won't let the bleach go to my brian.  It was just a "moment" wink

I hope you not letting it go to your "brian" was not the start of what happens with those blonge highlights and just a slip of the fingers!  LOL

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.
Big Jim from Ashville Ohio

Oh man!  ha ha ha!  NEED MORE COFFEE!  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

Amy has blonge on the brian... : )

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Yea, paybacks are a bbbbbbitch and I deserved one.  I poked fun at Amy for her mispelled word; only to have it pointed out to me that I mispelled blonde.  Thanks Paul (normtheguitar)!  Amazing how you can see others mistakes, but not see your own.  LOL  And I don't have any blonde to blame it on; just gray!

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.
Big Jim from Ashville Ohio