Topic: Why Do Guys Learn Guitar?

To woo women, of course.
Lesson below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0Frja3_ … e=youtu.be

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Re: Why Do Guys Learn Guitar?

Tis true.  It works if you know what you are doing. No matter what us guys say, that is the true reason we learn when we are younger.  I don't know if it is so true at our age or not.  I still like to learn love songs because the girls love it.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

All the above,but also for the fame and money (if you get far enough ) pride and the great feeling of accompleshiment  inside ourselves.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

"Fingerpicking sounds impressive but requires little to no talent."

LOL!  Maybe that's why I learned finger picking first.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Interesting and quite true..  speaking as a female guitar player I can say I learned to play guitar cause I thought it was really cool - honestly, one of the best things I ever did.  As I tell my  13 year old nephew..  a video game never got anyone a date!  Keep strumming..

Same here. If a girl asked what I did for fun,Playing guitar was a  more interesting answer than drinking or getting high.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

When a buddy of mine was 16 years old and in a band that got a contract to tour, they needed his father's signature to get him into the bars and venues for the tour.  His father signed it, but not until telling his son, "Boy, that guitar might get you l**d, but it'll never pay the bills."  At his age, he figured that was good enough.  And by the way, turns out his guitar can pay the bills. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

I'm a little different.... I've never really been a big music fan. I didn't learn to play because I wanted to learn a song or perform.  For me it was the challenge of learning... I wanted to see if I could do it! It looked hard and I love a challenge...lol

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

Same here. If a girl asked what I did for fun,Playing guitar was a  more interesting answer than drinking or getting high.

Or, like when I was young, all three!

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

^ I agree - why limit yourself? Multi-tasking is where its at!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

11 (edited by joeyjoeyjoey 2012-02-16 23:52:02)

^ I did a lot of multitasking. Evena few years after I was married. Up until 1992, been clean and sober since.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Referring to acoustic guitars only
1. I love the sound
2. To create something
3. Fun?

naolslager wrote:

1. I love the sound
2. To create something
3. Fun?

Now that I`m old(er).That would hold true. Back then it would have been only electric. 1-love the sound.  2-girls thought it would look cool(hopefully). 3-4-5 -  See 2.   6- Actually,I used to like to write my own so I learned to play to put it to music. I. used to like the bohemian image that I had. Now I`m just an average guy with a normal life and a normal car. A normal house. With a  &@(*&^ awesome music room in my basement. A heated practice space.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

14 (edited by mekidsmom 2012-02-17 14:21:57)

naolslager wrote:

1. I love the sound
2. To create something
3. Fun?

Now that I`m old(er).That would hold true. Back then it would have been only electric. 1-love the sound.  2-girls thought it would look cool(hopefully). 3-4-5 -  See 2.   6- Actually,I used to like to write my own so I learned to play to put it to music. I. used to like the bohemian image that I had. Now I`m just an average guy with a normal life and a normal car. A normal house. With a  &@(*&^ awesome music room in my basement. A heated practice space.   I DONT KNOW HOW I POSTED THE SAME THING TWICE, IF I DELETE IT WILL KILL THE WHOLE SUBJECT.MY MISTAKE

Mod edit:  go ahead and delete it - only deleting the first post in the thread will kill the entire thread.  I would delete it for you, but it's good for you to try some things on your own.  wink  MKM

Enjoy Every Sandwich

So you can tell people, " Yeah, I play guitar"!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I learned to play guitar because each and everytime I heard Eddie Van Halen, Stevie Ray Vaughan, or Jimi Hendrix play, I got goose bumps all over and time stood still.

And by the way, I really like the story Zurf about your buddy ! :J

Give everything but up.

I learned to play guitar when the Beatles hit, so, ya, I learned to play for the girls.

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

I was a drummer when I was young, which was enough of a female magnet at the time.  I wanted to learn to play a guitar after I went to my first bluegrass festival and was blown away by the acoustic pickin'. 

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

I spent a year at a Benedictine Monastery at age 15-16.
They played music over a sound system constantly- 33 records.
Chet Adkins tunes are the only albums I enjoyed.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Well I reckon that Toots learned guitar so he could get proposals for working out song chords. lol

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

tubatooter1940 wrote:

I spent a year at a Benedictine Monastery at age 15-16.
They played music over a sound system constantly- 33 records.
Chet Adkins tunes are the only albums I enjoyed.

Tubatooter: Chet Atkins at a monastery? Really? 33 albums? Did you physically count them or do you know this from the repetition? 24/7 music? Your reason for playing has got to be the most interesting and something ripped right out of a novel, a movie, or life.

33 RPM

Zurf wrote:

"Fingerpicking sounds impressive but requires little to no talent."

LOL!  Maybe that's why I learned finger picking first.

I don't know who said that, but they probably don't finger pick well.  Finger picking is hard.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

The guy in the Youtube video Toots linked.  If you watch it, you'll understand.

yes I agree finger picking is hard! I learned guitar becasue I sing. I started out with a karaoke and went from there. So it seems like alot of guys learn guitar to woo the girls LOL.

Without music life would be a journey through a desert.

I Cor 14:15