Topic: New Member Intro

This is my first post, so thought I would introduce myself...

I found chordie years ago and it has always been my first stop when looking up chords to a song or wanting to read the guitar forums for a little inspiration..

My playing Bio... started playing around the age of 39 (47 now) with my first acoustic guitar,  I tried to learn on my own for several months before taking lessons which lasted about 8 months... By this time I knew most of my open chords, my teacher spent a lot time teaching me to fingerpick, which I'm grateful for... I actually play an okay version of dust in the wind, blackbird, and my own version of Landslide. Learning to finger pick allowed my to add a little variety to my usual strumming of chords, so I'm glad I spent time on this....

After the 8 mos of lessons, life got busy and I've spent the remaining years just playing, and trying to learn on my own.... slow progress but still progress I think, I don't believe I play very well, but a few of my friends with no musical talent say different, maybe their just being nice who knows. I always tell people I can fool folks that don't know better for about ten - fifteen minutes..

Over the years I've never really had anyone to Jam with, a few here and their but nothing lasting, I think this would probably be the biggest help for me now...

My current State of playing has been recently inspired by a Divorce, not a pleasant thing, but it has given me a lot of time to fill... so I decided a few weeks ago to start playing daily again ( I've always loved it, just let it slip between the cracks of life), I've seen improvement already. I never completely put the guitar down, but there were periods where I played very little, and usually just things I knew, not pushing myself to practice or play new things...

Yesterday I went out and bought a new amp for the electric guitar I have, Squire Standard, bought a Fender Mustang II, I've never played the electric, so this is ALL New to me, all those different presets on the AMP.. Good Lord... I may never figure that out!!! But I'm hoping the new amp, and playing an electric guitar will help me keep my inspiration and interest to play moving forward.

So my goals someone might ask........ LEARN SONGS completely through to finish... I like classic rock.. I'd like to be able to do several covers.

Goal two learn to play the electric guitar, how to transfer what I know on the acoustic to elec... and how to operate all those knobs on the AMP I just bought, whew..

Anyway enough rambling, I'll be reading a lot, and chime in when I think I can add a little to the conversation...

Thanks
David  (47 been playing 8 years but but feel like I'm seven years behind)

Re: New Member Intro

Hi David and welcome to the forum, feel free to ask, answer or add a different point of view.

Nice to learn a bit about you and sorry about the divorce. I found my guitar helped during the two that I went through.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

memphisblues wrote:

Over the years I've never really had anyone to Jam with, a few here and their but nothing lasting, I think this would probably be the biggest help for me now...

Hi David and welcome to chordie. I searched your IP address and it appears you are from the D.C. area. There are few chordians from that area that get together once in a while to jam.

Check out this thread about an upcoming get together

http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=18799

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Hi David and welcome from "the other side"!

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

Hi Topdown

Actually Im from Memphis TN.... Thanks for the welcome                                                                                                                     Any Chordians from around here??

hello all guitar players.My name is Harvey I am fromToronto Canada,88 years of age.I used to play during WW2 and just started trying to play again.I just found this site by accident I am sure it will help me.One thing are there any lead music lines for the melodies of the songs/That would help me play themYou all sound like great people.

Hey everyone!
I think i started using Chordie in 01 right around when I began to take guitar a bit more serious thna I ever had.
I Am a keyboard player. But loved the idea of being able to take your instrument anywhere you pleased. Beach park Pubs Ect. Its really hard with an old upright grand ill tell ya.  I dont or never have taken lessons and this is my first time ever venturing off into the forum side of things. im  I guess an okay player. I do small gigs here and there . I find when people get drunk enough Im even that much better. Anyway wanted to say hello and im really hoping ill learn thru this part of chordie.  im also trying to develope a web page . under construction now. Would love to have some advise feedback ect.  billoliverio.com

Bill Oliverio

A fuuny thing about my divorce many years ago.  My ex was so mad at me she took my guitar and wouldn't give it back.  That hurt on top of the hurt.  Well, I did get it back a few years later after I bought a new one.  Welcome to you, David and Harvey.  It is common to start playing then quit for long periods of time.  That's my story also.  Just keep steady on the practicing and you will see a difference over time.  Harvey, WWII huh?  Well good for you for picking it up again.  You know any Glenn Miller?  I would like to learn the guitar version of "In The Mood" some day.  What a great song.  Anyway, welcome to both of you.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Hello Harvey
Glad you found the site. Thats how I found it as well, by accident. I love it. I have learned alot from here.
I think its important to have contact with fellow musicians and is the main reason I finaly started using the forum today.
I cant wait to learn and gather ideas from everyone around. I think its great you decided to pick up that guitar again
Have a fantastic day!

Bill Oliverio

HELLO and welcome. You just made friends all over the world. You  can talk about almost anything here.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Hello David and welcome to Chordie.  We have a similar experience.  I started learning at when married for 18 years to play a song for my wife on our 20th anniversary.  We're married 24 years now, so six years of playing.  I feel behind all the time, too.  I'm 46.  Can't play a thing the "right" way still, but make music that I enjoy playing.  Even if listening to it is a bit of a challenge. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hey Harvey and welcome. There's not a lot around if you read the dots but there is plenty of tab, try http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/
If you're looking for music I can recommend the software Guitar Pro. It's downloadable and there's more than enough there for your money, here's their website  http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php

I'd add that I'm nothing to do with Guitar Pro, I just use it!

Jerry

Welcome to G-minus and Harvey as well.  Sorry I missed you in my prior message

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Greetings to memphis, harvey and G, from across the pond! Chordie is a great place, with great people, all very modest. I like the fact that harvey is a "junior member"... No offence!
Cheers!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

15 (edited by harveyw 2012-02-21 21:16:10)

thanks normtheguitar.I am trying.I also have a NormanST40. I find itI hard on my older fingers.Did you have that problem too?I am not offended by being called junior member.

welcome to all you newbies to chordie!!!!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Good luck David. I started playing at 20 (for six months, maybe) and resumed at 45. Now I'm 48 and about eight years behind you.

Harveyw - fortunately my fingers are fairly well worn in! And my ST68 has a nice low action. A local luthier suggested I try some Earthwood light strings (11-52), so have just fitted some. It IS easier to play, but sounds a bit bright - sure that will tone down with time! You are lucky to live in the land of Godin!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Norman ST68 acoustic

My name is Peter and I like to introduce myself. I've been playing since I was 18 and still learning... I like the Chordie database and reading the forum posts.

Take care all and happy playing...

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Albert Einstein

Yamaha - LL36 - Acoustic - Handcrafted

Hi PetervE - welcome to Chordie! I've been to L.A. - had a fun time. Would have been more fun without the grumpy six-year old...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Norman ST68 acoustic

Welcome David , I myself am a new member and love this site.  Finding it difficult finding songs i can play as my experiece is small and only perfected certain chords. but i practice alot and know soon enough ill get it right.

Load up on drugs and kill your friends, its fun to lose and too pretend, she's over board and self assured oh no in know a dirty word.

Hello all you nice people/guitar pickers.I have a noobie question.I have never used tabs as I always could read music notes.So how can you learn a new song with just tabs as I want the melody too??

harveyw wrote:

Hello all you nice people/guitar pickers.I have a noobie question.I have never used tabs as I always could read music notes.So how can you learn a new song with just tabs as I want the melody too??

Hi Harvey, that's the problem with tab, it doesn't give you the tempo, just the notes. If you can read the dots I'd stick with it.

Jerry