1 (edited by Zurf 2011-10-01 13:52:33)

Topic: I fell in love again, and then again.

Yesterday I had some business in a town that's about a three hour drive from my home.  Between that down and my home there is a big, bad, ugly stretch of Interstate 95 that is at its worst on Friday afternoons.  Just where the pleasant country road that I was on and this ugly bit of interstate intersect, there's a really cool town named Fredericksburg, Virginia.  I took care of some errands and got in touch with a friend who lives there to make dinner plans and between the errands and the dinner plans I had an hour and a quarter to kill. 

In Fredericksburg, Virginia is a very nice guitar shop named Picker's Supply.  While I like my local all-purpose shop, they are oriented mostly towards the gigging rock and jazz musicians with a heavy concentration on basses and guitars.  Picker's Supply is all about bluegrass and Americana music.  There's banjos and mandolins and upright basses and fiddles and all sorts of acoustic guitars.  There's fantastic lesson books (still kicking myself for not picking one of them up, but I have so many that I haven't even touched yet).  It's a great place.  And the staff is awesome. 

Well, I was in my quest for a campfire guitar and was looking at the $300 to $600 guitars.  $600 is pretty steep for a campfire guitar, but in the right circumstances I might save up and go for it. 

So there I sat, playing an archtop with fret holes - not a sound hole.  Real fret holes in an archtop - for under $600.  It sounded... AWESOME.  I loved it.  That's fell in love number one.  Well, my picking must have improved some because one of the staff there heard me playing and started bringing me guitars to try.  This one I didn't like the neck.  So he brought me one with a big neck that I liked but the sound left me feeling so-so.  Another spruce topped guitar of which I have two.  No need for another.  So then he brought me a Martin D-15M.  Solid mahogany back, sides, and top.  Ugly darned guitar to look at but OH...MY...GOODNESS... the feel and sound of that guitar.  That was number two.  He told me to make an offer.  There was a missing peg for the strap.  I think I could have gotten a little off for that and got the price right reasonable.  We had begun negotiations to put in an LR Baggs Anthem pickup.  Were I single and didn't have to worry about what my funny-little-honey would have to say about it when I got home, I'd have left there with two guitars and $1500 (or more) in debt.  Good for me, I do have a sensible and loving wife, and so I walked away.  But I have a baaaaaaaaad case of GAS that Tums won't relieve.

- Zurf

[edited to correct my handle - I used one from a different site]

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: I fell in love again, and then again.

The arch-top by the way, was a Chinese made re-production of a Gibson line.  Lara, Lana, something like that.  The reason I spelled it re-production instead of reproduction is that this is not an imitation of the prior guitar.  According to the sales guy, the Chinese company bought the name and the specs and design from Gibson and have started producing THOSE SAME GUITARS again.  Can you imagine a Gibson arch-top acoustic for under $600?  Well, neither could I.  I'm still salivating.  My wallet weighs about 100# today.  It's yelling "Lighten me up!  Lighten me up!" 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Go with your heart,zurf.  After all, it is love.  Those nice sounding guitars can make a crazy man of you..  Good luck.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Nice find Zurf!!!! But you know how it works. And if the law ok's it then you still have a six hour drive round trip. I guess it would depend on how much you can get it for. At least you're sensible about what you have and what you "need".

I find that if I stay out of music shops my GAS stays under control. Always on the lookout tho.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, the trip would be worth it.  There's good fishing in Fredericksburg, and I'll drive three hours for good fishing even without promise of a faux Gibson or a real Martin.  I could hug that Martin like a teddy bear it fit so nice under my arm.

Zurf,  Have you tried the Godin archtops?  They're in the $550 range right now..  I have the electric version with the P-90 and think its great.

Now available in 5G !

Was it a Loar model Gibson re-production?

Yeah Bunbun it was. 

- Zurf

tandm3 wrote:

Zurf,  Have you tried the Godin archtops?  They're in the $550 range right now..  I have the electric version with the P-90 and think its great.

I've never tried any arch top because I always figured they were for the jazz guys.  However, it didn't seem to mind finger-picked folk songs with cowboy chords at all.  It did force me to run some scales and improvise a little blues, which is strange because I never do that. 

- Zurf

Zurf,
Somehow I missed this post. It is comforting to hear you GASSING. The Martin D-15M is both ugly and beautiful and the sound! I am fighting this version of GAS myself. Although I am leaning towards the 000-15M.
DJ

I know this post is a little old... but... I was just doing a little online research on Martin 000 ... and came across that 000-15M.  Lots of good reviews, and I'm a little odd but I think it looks beautiful in it's simplicity and dark coloring.  It seems however, there are NO SHOPS around me that have any in stock.  Can you GAS for something that you have never touched?  I KNOW that I would trust Martin enough that if I ordered it, I would be happy... yet... I have never played an all Mohogany guitar and so I worry if I will truly like the tone.  So, a little input from you Zurf since you did in fact hug said guitar.  Are the highs evenly balanced with the midtones and the lows?  Do the lows boom, but boom with even balance?  Would I love the action as much as every other Martin I've touched?  Would it sing with me? 

Of course, at this point I am only dreaming.  But, our tax return may be here within the next month and well, it's a possibility.  I've only been eyeying myself a new Martin for a year now.  I think a year is long enough.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Geez, it's been a while, but I'll do what I can.

The main thing about the guitar that I noticed was its feel.  It fit me very, very well and left my hands in very natural positions.  Given that you are smaller and ... uh... otherwise differently built from me ... that may not be the same for you.  But that's the most memorable thing about the guitar.

For sound, it was a more mellow, rounder sound to the music than with spruce tops.  I do not think it was as loud as spruce guitars, but it did the job well enough.  The highs were clear.  The mids were clear.  The lows did not boom, but they were ... present I guess is the best word.  You know how I like big, bold lows, and I liked the guitar, so take that for what it's worth. 

Action was perfect.  There was not a thing I would have changed about the setup coming right off the wall at the shop.  Now, this shop is a high quality shop that plays each instrument before it goes on the wall, so I can't say that's how it came from the factory.  Nevertheless, there was not a thing I'd have changed. 

Well, just one.  I would have put a clear pick guard on it. 

Given that I've just agreed to buy Dirty Ed's Breedlove, I'm not GASSING for this particular guitar any more.  OK, that's a lie.  Clearly I am still GASsing for it.  But the likelihood of me actually buying it is remote and will require disposal of at least one present guitar. 

I guess the best thing that I could say about it is - it felt like a Martin and it played like a Martin but it sounded just a little bit more laid back and mellow while still crisply projecting. 

Bear in mind I mostly play finger picking and so my comments are from that perspective of playing.

I actually value your opinion very highly.  Of course I don't fingerpick that much, but I've found that the lower lows are what I like the most, and I really can't stand super tinny highs.  So it seems to me a guitar built for fingerpicking would be the best thing based on the sound I like.  Therefore, I believe what you like, I too would like.  As for the size, my current guitar is a dread.  While I love the "loudness" of it, the size is really frustrating for teeny tiny little me.  I think a 000 would suit me much better.  While I wouldn't hug it like a teddy bear wink I do think it would fit (I've tried the size out and it does). 

Oh my... I'll have to visit the guitar store soon and see what they actually have IN stock and play a few and weigh my options out.  Dirty Ed's breedlove is BEAUTIFUL!  I hope you enjoy it!!!!

You know the saying the real beauty lies within? That goes for guitars to LOL. It matters how it plays and sounds if it don't look that great all well. I bet you could still fall in love with it. ha ha

Without music life would be a journey through a desert.

I Cor 14:15

I FOUND A PLACE NEARBY THAT HAS ONE IN STOCK FOR ME TO TRY!!!!!!  (yes, I am yelling with excitement)

Amy,
I have owned four different martin's over the years. I only bought one over the net and it was a bottom line and played and sounded very sweet. I still have two higher ends that I truly love and won't part with. I think you should find one you can play before you buy. This is something you've been waiting for for a while it sounds like and you probably are going to spend a little more than you really want.Take the time ,enjoy the search. It's going to be a fun and rewarding experience, enjoy it as much as you can. Then you won't be thinking later...should I have tried this one or that one first. My last martin I spent way more than I wanted to . I traded in a nice Taylor and saved up a lot of spare cash. I went to the guitar shop played three different martin's. I took the one I had originally went to see. I love it and was glad I played it and a few others. It's my most prized guitar ever with a to die for sound. I'm glad I took the time. Have fun and tell us how it all works out.

Joe

Zurf wrote:

Given that I've just agreed to buy Dirty Ed's Breedlove, I'm not GASSING for this particular guitar any more.  OK, that's a lie.  Clearly I am still GASsing for it.  But the likelihood of me actually buying it is remote and will require disposal of at least one present guitar.

No No No. We don't dispose of guitars unless they are broken. We pass them on, give them new life, give them away, find a new home for them, but never dispose of them. But I get ya, you must thin out your herd before the next purchase.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Right you are zguitar. 

What I was getting at is that it's getting pretty ridiculous here in my office.  I've got two electric basses, an electric guitar, two acoustics (soon to be three), an autoharp, a fiddle, and a sack full of harmonicas.  I'm running out of reasons why I 'need' more instruments when I don't even know how to play the fiddle or the autoharp and the noise that comes out of my harmonicas is only loosely affiliated with the notion of music.

19 (edited by dino48 2012-03-07 02:40:49)

That would have been a hard one for most of us too pass by zurf. I will get my Martin some day I have only waited almost 35 years now. I have had a few higher end guitars,gibson,guild but I had too sell them do too having some money problems with new kids on the way. so that is all done now,and my money is mine now.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Archtops make me sweaty.

Behold the object of my desire...

http://www.collingsguitars.com/Instruments/images/at17/jazz/2.jpg

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

You guys need to knock this off right now...and get back to playing. The 15 series guitars are great...just a little pricey for me right now.
I also played a "The Loar", I think it was a 309 arch top with P90 pick-up, whatever that is. Interesting.

Yesterday I was in one of the big guitar stores in Columbus, OH.  In the acoustic room there was in the neighborhood of 50 guitars in the $1000-$2000 range. I was looking for a smaller-bodied OM or 000 type with a 1-3/4" nut. I've owned a couple Martins and am pretty much a Martin kinda guy, but none of the smaller bodied Martins really "spoke" to me, A Breedlove Cascade 000 was close to the sound I was looking for, but $1500 for an asian-built acoustic seemed a little steep, even with the Breedlove name on it.  I continued to the glass-encased "back room" where the $2000 and up guitars are kept.  I tried a small-bodied Gibson but that didn't get it.  A couple Martin Eric Clapton 000's had the sound I wanted but were out of my price range.  Then I picked up a Taylor GC8.  I once owned a Taylor "Big Baby" that was a nice little guitar but never had that bassy "bottom" I've grown to like, and I've played a few other Taylors I've liked but not enough to fork over the money they wanted for them. The GC8 had a feel and sound I may be willing to pay for.  I played the Claptons a few more times but kept going back to the Taylor.

I left the back room and checked out the acoustic section where $100- $500 guitars were hanging.  I picked up a few and strummed then but again, nothing "spoke" to me.  I spied a Taylor GS-Mini which I've heard good things about and thought it might be OK for a small-bodied guitar that could fit into a dry bag for overnight river trips. As soon as I strummed it I wondered "Where did that come from?"  For a small guitar it has great sound and projection - nothing like the travel guitars I've experimented with and been disappointed with in the past.That little booger sounds like the real thing, and I may be adding one to the arsenal if I can sell the little Ibanez and Samick travel guitars I currently own.  After yesterday's experience  I might be becoming a "Taylor Guy".

Amy, if your looking for a small-bodied guitar with great sound without breaking the bank, you might want to check out the GS-Mini.  Taylor lists it as a 7/8 size.  The body is about 2" shorter than a Martin 000, 5/8" narrower but about 1/2" deeper (which may be why it has such a good volume for a small acoustic).  The nut is 1-11/16, a little narrow for me but great for your small hands.  There's several chances to listen to one on youtube to get an idea of the sound.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

After reading Bob Taylor's book I was bitten by the Taylor bug and sought out a few to play. Just to see what all the fuss was about. The GS Mini was the only one I could actually afford but I quite liked it. Taylor makes an all-mahogany version which greatly appeals to me.

Thank you DE for the suggestion.  Jim is planning to take the day off on Friday (for several reasons) and so we are going to go check out the store.  As we'll only have ONE kid with us, hopefully I can try out quite a few guitars.  While I've been eyeing Martin's for a year now, I absolutely will be picking a guitar based on that sixth sense.  Many people say, pick the guitar that speaks to you.  To me, it's the guitar that "sings with me".  wink  I've tried a couple smaller bodied Taylors in the past and felt they sounded hollow, however I wouldn't be surprised if my taste in sound has changed.  When I started, it was the mellow sound of the classicals that I was after.  It's funny how sound taste has changed over the past few years of playing/learning.  Long story short, based on your suggestion I'll be sure not to count Taylor out!  Thank you!