1 (edited by naolslager 2012-03-10 14:53:52)

Topic: Rhythm Training Starts Today

I've been at this three years. I've got the basic chord changes down and can kludge together some interesting progressions and sounds. BUT when I try to play a real song I am lost when it come to rhythm. A few songs I can do by ear but when looking at the tabs, etc for a song I am less familiar with I have no clue how to strum the rhythm so the song sounds awful or at least unfamiliar, I get frustrated and move on to something more familiar which means I am not progressing.

So, after ignoring all recommendations and common sense about using a metronome, here I am trying to use one. Holy cow, I must have got my sense of rhythm from Al Gore! (Picture him clapping.) I can barely maintain a steady down stroke only strumming at 60 BPM. Simply right? If I can maintain rhythm how I can ever expect to play a song other than maybe jazz or much less play with others?

I fear THIS might be next big step and a difficult one at that. This will be difficult but necessary. Should I start by just tapping my leg along with my right hand? That's how remedial I am.
dj

Re: Rhythm Training Starts Today

That's a tough one, bud. I don't have the best rhythm myself.  I tend to speed up and slow down all in the same song.  I think for the most part, I have gotten much better than I used to be.  I do know that it is just a matter of getting the strumming hand used to strumming without thinking.  If you think of the words to the song and think of strumming correctly at the same time, you will tend to get off beat much of the time. This is another matter of strumming until you are sick of it, then strum some more.  I also know that for some, to keep a beat is next to impossible.  I am one of those that can't hold a beat very well, but I have noticed with time and lots of practice, I have gotten a little better.  I also know that if you constantly think of strumming while you are doing it, you either mess up the strum or you screw up the singing.  It has to become a non thinking experience for you to do it consistently.  Maybe you should practice strumming while you are doing something else and always try not to think of the strumming.  I think the key here is to make strumming a reflex action, the same as fingering chords has become. I know I'm not much help, but I'm trying to get inside your head and look at it differently.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Keeping perfect time is incredibly difficult, as your metronome is showing you.  It's why a lot of people don't use one.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

It might be easier to practice with a song you already know. You know what strum has to fit between chord changes and corresponding words, so start slow with the clicker and try to work it out. Hope that makes sense. I myself don't use a metronome so I could just be blowing hot air.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

To develop a sense of timing it is a good idea to tap your foot in time to every piece of music you listen too. You have to consciously do it at first but eventually it becomes automatic and, hey presto, you have your own inbuilt metronome.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Nao

As close as we live to each other we should try to get together and play. I don't have the best rhythm either but I can usually work out a simple strumming pattern that makes the song recognizable. I can now sing (I use the word sing very loosely here) and play at the same time and I have even sung in front of people other than my family. I may be able to help you out with some of the things you are wanting to learn. I am kind of at a stand still where I continue to do the same things and I have been looking to work on fingerpicking and scales in order to progress in my playing.

7 (edited by dino48 2012-03-11 01:56:51)

Nao,you will usuelly find that if you play with the song that you will pick up the rhythm. If you got Al Gore rhythm as you say it may take you a long time!!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

The metronome is your best friend and your worst enemy at the same time and for the same reasons. 

Use it.  Learn to appreciate it.  It will make you a better player. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

southrnrockr wrote:

Nao

As close as we live to each other we should try to get together and play. I don't have the best rhythm either but I can usually work out a simple strumming pattern that makes the song recognizable. I can now sing (I use the word sing very loosely here) and play at the same time and I have even sung in front of people other than my family. I may be able to help you out with some of the things you are wanting to learn. I am kind of at a stand still where I continue to do the same things and I have been looking to work on fingerpicking and scales in order to progress in my playing.

This is what I love about this site. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

10 (edited by naolslager 2012-03-11 13:42:42)

Yes, by our calculations we live about twenty minutes apart which, in Atlanta, means an hour or so.

Instead of the metronome you could try playing along to a recording of the song as well.  In audacity, you can actually slow songs down and speed them up.  Mind you, everything is going to sound funny if you do this, but it isn't about their sound at this point, it's about yours.  wink  Good luck Nao!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I have heard of alot of ballplayers that use them in sports practice.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Starting by clapping is a great idea. Then clapping and a foot stomp.

14 (edited by naolslager 2012-03-14 00:55:20)

Everytime I clap my lights turn off and on!

naolslager wrote:

Everytime I clap my lights turn off and on!

Good one nao!!

You also might benefit from taking drum lessons for a few months. smile