Topic: Music and Cultural Diplomacy

I consider myself lucky to live where a lot of folks come to vacation. The past 2 weeks, the condo next door has been filled with 3 lovely German ladies, a young doctor (Suzie) along with her Mother (Alina) and Aunt Ilsa. Suzie speaks English fairly well, but her traveling companions speak only German and Russian (they are from formally East Germany). We've been chatting on the patio during their stay and I've been offering tips on where to eat, what to see and such.

Late last week Suzie mentioned my cooking on the grill and the wonderful aromas and said her Mother wanted an American Steak Dinner before they left for home. As I was traveling earlier in the week, we made plans for dinner this evening. So I went out today and picked up some nice NY Strips and baking taters. Suzie said they would bring a salad. We had wonderful dinner with some fine wine and a few bottles of Becks and great conversation (despite the language barrier) - it's amazing how the trials and tribulations of life are so similar despite living thousands of miles and countries apart.

Anyway, they have heard my guitar playing and singing all week and asked me to play after dinner. Suzie knew a lot of American music (and has a beautiful voice) , and of course even her Aunt and mother knew some Beatles songs. We just spent about 2 hours singing and playing and had a fantastic time. Pictures were taken, hugs and kisses were shared and I am extremely proud to have shown them some good old American Hospitality. Email addresses were shared and I have a standing invitation to stay in Aunt Ilsa's "giant house" in Hamburg whenever I visit Germany.

Long story to say that Music truly breaks down cultural barriers and is a common language that is loved by all. What a great night - and after my team's basketball loss this afternoon, it was sorely needed - completely lifted my spirits.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Re: Music and Cultural Diplomacy

What a nice story and it must have been a great feeling to connect as humans hopefully some aliens were montoring this event and could only have arrived at the conclusion Earth has hope contrary to the rumor thats going around the galaxie,great story smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Terrific story, Topdown. Glad that all had a great time.
A few years back, my wife's best friend had a visit from her relatives from Scotland. There were two older ladies and a teenager and they stayed at our house because my wife's friend had only a tiny apartment. We enjoyed their excellent company for a week ending in a barbecue and a guitar jam. Our guests recorded the jam so their friends could enjoy. 
A few years later my wife and I visited Scotland and got to stay a night at our friends house. They threw a party for us and invited some really neat neighbors over for eats and drinks. I had my Martin Backpacker with me and had to play "A Daisy a Day" at least three times for them as guests came and went. They just loved that song. It makes me cry. Made them cry too. I got to do more than a few silly songs to cheer us back up.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Wonderful story Jeff, the legendary 'Southern Hospitality' coming to the fore again. I bet all their friend will be hearing of you soon.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

5 (edited by naolslager 2012-03-11 12:17:29)

Top down,
Great story and how true. I’ve had similar experiences although I was not the one singing and playing. For the last five years my job requires me to travel to Eastern Europe quite often.

A few years ago I had one of those magical events that will be a fond memory for as long I survive. I was in Sighnaghi, Georgia (the Country of Georgia) at a vineyard for a feast, etc. It was a perfect Fall day and the sun was setting, the food was good, and the music: local. Here’s a short video of part of the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBtO5oLdZOE

I’ve been told “all Georgians sing and dance"  and I have found that to be true. Wonderful people and expressive in their own way. The Georgians consider guests a “Gift from God"  and  have always found that to be true as well.
dj

Neat stories.  This one time I had a British gentleman with fourteen fingers on his right hand stay at my house for a week and there was a lot of music then too.  We could understand one another most times despite the commonality of language. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf,
I have found adult beverages to be a great "interpreter"!
dj

Nice stories Tops and DJ! 

Jeff, being alone down there I'm sure having the ladies for a visit was a bit like feeling at home.  I'm glad for you that you were able to entertain, and visit with some kind and grateful people.  I'm sure you enjoyed it just as much as they did!  Wonderful!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

You did good, Jeff.  I always like to hear stories like this.  It does your heart good to be able to make people at home at your house and enjoy music together.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Lucky Dog!!!,

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Good stuff, Jeff! Music certainly does bring people together - some food & drink helps, too! But American hospitality is legendary - especially in Virginia...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic