Topic: Question about Taylor Guitars

Hi,

I tried finding an answer to my question on the web, but couldn't find anything, so I'm hoping people here will know. What is it that Tayor does to get that bell-like sound from their guitars; like how it sounds as if you've got an amp with a chorus effect turned on but the guitar is not even plugged in.

I got to try a Taylor 312ce at a music store and it was sooo beautiful!

Thanks,

Mary Beth

Re: Question about Taylor Guitars

I think it is a combination of magic and the elves they use to put them together.  I love Taylors.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Top thickness, bracing design, etc.. all play a role but to me what sets Taylor apart from most major brands is that they actually tap tune the tops so you get the best tone out of each guitar smile Most companies build by specs and that doesn't work optimally with wood because every piece is different.  If I wasn't a Yairi guy I'd be a Taylor one smile

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

The clanger they put in them helps.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

What "clanger" are you speaking of?

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.

I think he was making a joke. 

Taylors ring like a bell, and so deadstring was joking that they have a clanger just like a bell does.  I have an idea for a song called "I'm too literal for folk music."  If I ever get it written, I may have to include a verse about dry humor.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

LOL ....Yea duh on my part big_smile  I took it by it's other meaning as in a Mistake or a Fault smile  The other didn't even cross my mind this morning...

And there's me thinking you meant these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3rWghGSm4Y

Might be an age and UK thing. LOL

My acoustic trio Website
[url]http://www.accidentallyacoustic.co.uk/[/url]

Kind of like Claude Coopers copper clappers

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Zurf wrote:

I have an idea for a song called "I'm too literal for folk music."  If I ever get it written, I may have to include a verse about dry humor. - Zurf

Now THAT's funny. I don't care who you are.
dj

You guys are funny--- Pete, how bout-----Claude Coopers copper clappers calling Coopers clappers Claude?:D

Gotta love the Tayors. Just got the 110ce and am thrilled with it. Very light weight, great ring and looks great.
Mine being the lower end pricing has laminate sapele back and sides but still a solid spruce top. I really like the
natural look without all the shiny varnish. I think it lets the wood vibrate more. Pix is right. Taylor uses a bracing
different from most which may add to the ring they have. The woods are chosen carefully. The Sapele they use
on my model are usually confused with African mahogany.      Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

Sapele is African mahogany....  African Mahogany isn't actually a mahogany species at all it's just the name that most makers use for Sapele to make consumers think they are getting a true mahogany.  Some makers even go as far as calling Sapele a "true genuine mahogany" when it's not...  When true mahogany starting getting scarce builders started silently using sapele and labeled it as African Mahogany and that's were the confusion started....  Sapele is actually a denser wood than Mahogany and is closer to teak or red oak in strength/hardness. However it resonates and performs similar to mahoganies. It can be hard to tell the difference visually but usually you'll see more profound ribbons/stripes in sapele. True Mahogany was added to the endangered woods list last year (or the year before) so the only true mahogany models you're likely to see are smaller bodied and/or on the higher end models which are made from stock piled materials...  It's going to end up being like EIR or Brazilian with the newer mahogany guitars being made from stump wood and pieces that had been deemed unsuitable before the ban now bringing top prices. For a good grade mahogany guitar now you either have to pay a premium or buy used sad They'll start grading it basedon visual appeal which in short means it doesn't sound good but looks nice....

I just got a 710 CE-Ltd yesterday. Awesome to play - sounds, looks and feels great, Very happy.

Epiphone DR500
Taylor 710Ce-Ltd
Epiphone SG400
Fender Squier CV50 Telecaster

Happy NGD chevo! Pics please!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Glad I got my mahogany guitar last year then.   I love the rich, full sound of mahogany. 

Happy NGD Chevo.  Happy NGD papaguitar.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Happy NGD Chevo!  New thread and pics sir!

On Dirty Ed's advise, when I went shopping recently I tried out a Taylor Mini.  I must say... if I hadn't had my mind totally set on a Martin, I would have seriously considered the Mini.  With eyes closed, it sounded just as full as any other Oorchastra model in the room and several larger guitars.  Very impressive sound coming out of that little guitar.  Completely different than the Big Baby.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

MKM,

The GS Mini Taylor is a nice guitar , but it will not hold up against Your New Martin. The very short scale and narrow nut are drawbacks to it also.
I leave my GS mini at the Job and it serves the purpose well but it can't hold up to a good full size guitar. Just my opinion smile

Later, Wayne P

Guitarpix wrote:

Top thickness, bracing design, etc.. all play a role but to me what sets Taylor apart from most major brands is that they actually tap tune the tops so you get the best tone out of each guitar smile Most companies build by specs and that doesn't work optimally with wood because every piece is different.  If I wasn't a Yairi guy I'd be a Taylor one smile

Tap-tuning . . . I'm not sure how that works. I've seen video of a guitar maker demonstrating the different resonant qualities of guitar tops. When he tapped a high grade piece of spruce it sounded incredible, more like a drum a xylophone than guitar.

But how do you tap tune? Do you want the top, back, and sides to all resonant in the same pitch or create a chord?

Thanks Wayne for the cudos on the Martin again.  My husband said to me, "if you get that Taylor, you are STILL going to want a Martin.  You are in love.  So... just get the Martin!"  LOL!

M.B. I don't know much about tap tuning, but I do know when I go in and tap a nice guitar it sounds heavenly... and the cheaper ones just "thunk".

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

MB Most companies use precut bracing and just stick them to the top and it's done... Good makers will tap the top after it's braced and then ,if it doesn't resonate well enough, they shave the bracing until it's in the right resonate range... It takes lots of practice to get right and you have to develop the ear for it but it makes all the difference IMO.    Check out my post in Guitars and Accesories titled "How the guitar Works" for some more info and you may also want to check out the Yairi factory tour vids on youtube where luthier Kazuo Yairi talks about the tap tuning process he uses to get the best sound from his guitars.

Thanks for the correction about the Sapele Pix. Seems to be info "out there" that is not up to snuff. Once

again another reason to visit Chordie for good info!

Thanks for the NGD Zurf.

Our intuitions serve us well

Guitarpix wrote:

MB Most companies use precut bracing and just stick them to the top and it's done... Good makers will tap the top after it's braced and then ,if it doesn't resonate well enough, they shave the bracing until it's in the right resonate range... It takes lots of practice to get right and you have to develop the ear for it but it makes all the difference IMO.    Check out my post in Guitars and Accesories titled "How the guitar Works" for some more info and you may also want to check out the Yairi factory tour vids on youtube where luthier Kazuo Yairi talks about the tap tuning process he uses to get the best sound from his guitars.

Thanks for these references Guitarpix--so far, I've learned a lot!