1 (edited by cytania 2007-06-25 13:55:14)

Topic: The Who Live At Glastonbury

Stunning set that came over really well on TV, great live sound but...

Was it me or was Pete Townshend able to play crashing chords even when he'd clearly gotten the volume level off or was waving his arm around? I think the key may lie in his brother Simon Townshend who was also on stage playing Fender Stratocaster just like Peter.

The way I figure it Simon is like the safety net for Pete, whilst Pete is trying to get a sizzling roar out of his strat (seemed to have a real thing about dragging the plectrum about real close to the bridge) Simon plays the textbook chords ensuring that things don't fall apart. There even appeared to be times the soundboardist slipped Pete out the mix whilst he got a solo sound going and then whammy he was back.

Pete Townshend was still amazing, experimental even, just think it's interesting to speculate how the smoke and mirrors is done.

PS. Sorry to have been offline over a week, my telegraph pole was struck by lightning!

PPS. I know 'Live At Leeds' is meant to be classic 70s Who but that recording has always sounded dead to me, anyone else left cold by this 'Best Live Recording Of All Time'?

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Re: The Who Live At Glastonbury

I actually stood with Simons son watching The Who at T in the Park last year....well, he said he was his son and had all the passes etc so I gave him the benefit of the doubt. Whether it was or not I'll never know, but he was a sound bloke anyways. smile

What you've just posted was more or less the conversation we had. I wanted to know how Pete could manage to hit all them chords and still windmill his arms about.  Simon does indeed keep the basic shape of the song while Pete entertains the crowd.  Mind you, Pete Townsend has nothing too prove as a guitarist imo, as you rightly say he was amazing.

As for Live at Leeds.  This IS the best Live album ever....no doubts in my mind at all. The remastered version is nowhere near as good as the original album though. They kept all the drop outs and feedback in the original recording, but dropped them from the remaster. I think I'm correct in saying that it's the only live album with absolutely no overdubs or tinkering with. What you hear is exactly what the crowd heard. 

In fact, you've just put me in the mood to go and give Young Mans Blues a blast. Cheers. wink

They were fantastic last night. I never tire of listening too/ watching The Who.

Craig.

Blind acceptance is a sign, of stupid fools who stand in line.  John Lydon.

'Mod' is a shorter word for 'young, beautiful and stupid' - we've all been there." - Pete Townshend.