Re: Your most disappointing guitar...

Haha, peavey tele style guitar, for sure, paid under $230 for it, when it arrived, I unwrapped it, and it had this see through plastic covering the fretboard.  When I tried removing the plastic, I discovered it was sticky, as in it was sticking to the fretboard.  I got it off, cleaned and recleaned the fretboard, but it never felt right.  It was almost as if your fingers were dragging or sticking to the fretboard.  I should of boxed it up and returned it, but I thought the more I played it, the fretboard would become better, which it didn't.

Antares GX-141! I paid $30 off of Craig's List. I was laughing all the way hone...a $30 guitar, how cool is that? Freud said sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Well, sometimes a cheap guitar is just a cheap guitar.

I made the mistake of taking this "beater" with me to Europe as I didn't know how well a guitar would fare as checked baggage. So I invested in a Gator hard case which was more than twice as expensive as the guitar. OMG, I wanted to play while away from home but this thing sounded so bad I just couldn't. So I spent my time lamenting my travel guitar choice. I almost pitched it in the trashcan. I home now and I hugged my other guitars.

I had named this guitar Thirty (a tongue-in-cheek reference to the price) but I now call it "Never Again". What a POS! It would be best suited screwed to the wall of the local T.J. Applebees!

Sold "Thirty" for more than twice the price I paid and so now I'm on the prowl for another guitar. I will not make that mistake twice.

quarters wrote:

I was in a Sam Ash years ago and saw a guitar on clearance for no lie...13 dollars. It was a Carlo Robelli... well worth the money for a guitar that cheap, but you know what it was. A piece of garbage. I still have it though.

Carlos Robellis are hit and miss, I've noticed. Mine is a dream to play. Great tone, looks great, feels great, but if I go to the music store, I can pick up 2 CR's of the exact same model, and one plays great, and the other is complete garbage. Sounds like their Quality Assurance team needs to pay more attention.

For me, it was my Epi SG. Still have it, but I'm getting ready to sell it for WAY less than I paid for it. Bland tone, neck is *sticky* even after oiling to neck. Pickups get muddy fast, and the electronics are BEYOND sub par. Thinking I might trade it in for credit on an Epi Explorer I've been test playing for the last few weeks.

Squier Strat. Made in India.  Bought it at a pawn shop for dirt cheap.  Should have paid less. Total crap.

Now available in 5G !

Epiphone Blues Deluxe - I wanted a hollow body and had several players I respect recommend it to me.  Bought it on-line (never again) and it was the hardest thing I ever tried to play.  I usually do my own set-ups and thought I just wasn't getting this one so I took it to a luthier.  He pronounced DOA.  Luckily, I traded it for half what I paid for a pretty basic breedlove acoustic for my late wife.  She loved that guitar and my best memories of her are of her playing it, so I guess it all worked out in the end.

My first guitar was a Stella...in Grampa's basement...would sneak down,open the case and strum in wonderment...later got that guitar somehow..squated off frets rip off callouses before they form, takes a mighty pull to get the strings to fretboard. tuned it open for slide and used for a paddle one night after a few too many.

I like to challenge myself by playing cheap guitars some times.
I have an Ashbury from The bay store.

Hi:

After reading all your letters and experiences, with lousy guitars. I do not feel as bad as I did before. I bought an Ibanez AS 73, from some seller off of E-bay.
I bought this guitar for about $320.00 plus shipping, which I bided. I thought I got it for cheap, which it was not. I found out later that the jack was broken inside of this f-hole guitar and I can see no way in fixing it, berceuse it has no cover in the back, to open for repairs. I do not know if it could be fixed. I am just going forward and learn from my one of many mistakes I’ve made in my life. The old saying is; “YOU DON’T GET SOMETHING FOR NOTHING

Hi:

After reading all your letters and experiences, with lousy guitars. I do not feel as bad as I did before. I bought an Ibanez AS 73, from some seller off of E-bay.
I bought this guitar for about $320.00 plus shipping, which I bided. I thought I got it for cheap, which it was not. I found out later that the jack was broken inside of this f-hole guitar and I can see no way in fixing it, berceuse it has no cover in the back, to open for repairs. I do not know if it could be fixed. I am just going forward and learn from my one of many mistakes I’ve made in my life. The old saying is; “YOU DON’T GET SOMETHING FOR NOTHING

I thought I would add.
I was in my local Canadian Tire store the other day.
(A Canadian Big Box Store to All You non Canadian s.)
to get some tools .
I noticed a half size parlour guitar for $19.95
Usually 80 bucks but on clearence.
couldnt resist.
the finish on the neck is terrible but was allmost in tune out of the box.
and sounds beutifull.
I wouldnt have paid 80 for it but was a good deal at 20

it is pretty much the same size as my baritone ukulele

I've had a number of cheapies, but I usually can get them to work pretty well, with a pick up change and some tweaking.
Some, however, are just 'snake-bit' as we say out west.

Right now I have a Strat-style guitar that I've been throwing money at, off and on, for years. It just sounds bad/dead/dull, with any pickups and will not hold tune long enough for you to let go of the tuner button. The bad thing is, every part in it is name brand and every adjustment that can be made, has been made 6 times. Its haunted.

Joe
Roadie & Reviewer
GoodGearGuy.com

nakalkn wrote:

Hi:

I bought this guitar for about $320.00 plus shipping, which I bided. I thought I got it for cheap, which it was not. I found out later that the jack was broken inside of this f-hole guitar and I can see no way in fixing it, berceuse it has no cover in the back, to open for repairs. I do not know if it could be fixed. I am just going forward and learn from my one of many mistakes I’ve made in my life. The old saying is; “YOU DON’T GET SOMETHING FOR NOTHING�� .

Man, I just fixed one of those (well a Gretsch) about a week ago. If you are handy with tools, you can fix it, but it requires patience.
It goes like this:
Get a new set of strings.
Take the old ones off and set aside.
Pull off all the knobs and loosen the nuts on the pots (locking washers will fall inside the guitar).
Unscrew the trim ring on the bridge humbucker.
Lift the pickup out go the guitar.
Connected to it will be all of the pots - volume and tone control, plus the broken jack.
turn it over and shake out any loose washers, etc.
Connect up (solder) a new jack in place with everything on the outside of the guitar.
Use the old guitar strings to pull the pots and jack back through the body cavity (tricky)
Tighten them all back up.
Put the bridge pickup back in place.
Restring.
Single malt scotch (optional, but recommended)

Joe
Roadie & Reviewer
GoodGearGuy.com

39 (edited by moldeoldie 2012-03-21 15:53:04)

I have to say the worst guitar I ever owned was a no-name (or I don't recall the name) old blues type f-hole guitar.  The strings were actually 3/4 inch off the fretboard.  BUT it was given to me to practice on and so I did.  Very happy that I did it managed to get my fingering down pretty well and when I finially got my (new at the time) Sigma DR28H playing was like a piece of cake.  Sold that old Sigma years ago and now I wish I could find another but they are no longer being made sad(((

moldeoldie wrote:

I have to say the worst guitar I ever owned was a no-name (or I don't recall the name) old blues type f-hole guitar.  The strings were actually 3/4 inch off the fretboard.  BUT it was given to me to practice on and so I did.  Very happy that I did it managed to get my fingering down pretty well and when I finially got my (new at the time) Sigma DR28H playing was like a piece of cake.  Sold that old Sigma years ago and now I wish I could find another but they are no longer being made sad(((

They are being made again. Martin sold the company, designs, logos, the whole kit an kaboodle and they're now in production and being sold as Sigma guitars. Be aware though, they're no longer part of Martin and I haven't tried one so couldn't comment on the quality. If you can get hold of one of the old Japanese made models you'll be doing well, they go for a pretty penny these days.

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

I had a Jasmine about 12 years ago,I went into the shop and tried it and it was ok,they gave me one that was in the back room,said it was the same. Got home and it was really bad,I took it back after two days and got my money back,the one on the sales floor had been sold.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I had a Cort with a Floyd Rose system on it. Not only was changing strings a nightmare, a broken string rendered the guitar unplayable. Never again will I have any guitar with a Floyd Rose.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

A Gretsch Corvette. It was gretsch`s version of an SG, except the top horn stuck out a bit more. The balance was awful on it. If you didn`t hold on to it,The neck would fall down and you would be playing air guitar in an instant.T he Burns tremolo would put it out of tune if you breathed on it too hard. I wanted a Gretsch so bad I bought the first one I could find after months of searching.The 2nd was a fender coronado. Something about it just wasn`t right. I sold them both dirt cheap. 150 and 100. Today they are worth a lot more.If I knew then

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Buzzwagon wrote:
moldeoldie wrote:

They are being made again. Martin sold the company, designs, logos, the whole kit an kaboodle and they're now in production and being sold as Sigma guitars. Be aware though, they're no longer part of Martin and I haven't tried one so couldn't comment on the quality. If you can get hold of one of the old Japanese made models you'll be doing well, they go for a pretty penny these days.

Jerry

Yeah I know I can find a newer one but not near the quality of the old ones.  That's why I wish I had never sold it lol

Siege of Troy wrote:
quarters wrote:

I was in a Sam Ash years ago and saw a guitar on clearance for no lie...13 dollars. It was a Carlo Robelli... well worth the money for a guitar that cheap, but you know what it was. A piece of garbage. I still have it though.

Carlos Robellis are hit and miss, I've noticed. Mine is a dream to play. Great tone, looks great, feels great, but if I go to the music store, I can pick up 2 CR's of the exact same model, and one plays great, and the other is complete garbage. Sounds like their Quality Assurance team needs to pay more attention.

For me, it was my Epi SG. Still have it, but I'm getting ready to sell it for WAY less than I paid for it. Bland tone, neck is *sticky* even after oiling to neck. Pickups get muddy fast, and the electronics are BEYOND sub par. Thinking I might trade it in for credit on an Epi Explorer I've been test playing for the last few weeks.

My daughter.(the trout). Had a Carly acoustic guitar. It was Carlo Robelli`s girls model of their regular guitars.It was bright pink, full size. Bought at Wal Mart for 120.00. She wanted a pink guitar. She really wanted  a Daisy Rock metalflake rock candy.They were expensive at the time so I thought the pink carly would shut her up.Guess what,it didn`t. The carly was actually a great guitar.great action,didn`t sound bad,played like a dream. If it wasn`t for the color,I may have kept it as a beater.It is still around. She gave it to a friend of hers who is taking lessons now. If carlo robelli`s are hit or miss.We must got the good one of the bunch. A few month`s later I got her the daisy rock she wanted(used) for her 10th birthday.She still has it.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Worst guitar --- Masada LP Jr  copy-- never seen one since.  it was a first guitar I could afford, traded out in 6 months to a Ibanez strat tqaht was awesome!  that traded to a buddy for his guild.  He painted teh Ibanez black so it could be a blackie.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)