Re: NGD!!!!!!! I am in love!

Congrats Amy smile Great looking guitar!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Amy, congrats, your going to love that ooo size and the mahogany sound. it will compliment your voice and, the more you play it the better it sounds, so beat on it every day.     b

Congrats, Amy - it's beautiful! Wish I could hear it properly, live, rather than on a dodgy Skype connection!
Have never really thought about a using guitar humidifiers, are they still necessary even in the damp of the UK? Never heard of using rattlesnake rattles, either - I'm assuming this is as a humidifier, rather than percussion?!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

I would like to try a 000 sometime.  I'm thinking that may be a future purchase for me, although future means way down the road.  I think the smaller body would feel better and handle a bit better.  Norm, the all wood guitars require about 45-55% humidity.  If you have that all the time, then no worries.  It is usually a problem in the winter when you heat your home.  The humidity is usually a lot lower.  I've read where people never humidify and do just fine, but it doesn't hurt to humidify it a little extra.  Insurance you know.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Very nice Amy. I'm sure you'll do it proud.

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

normtheguitar wrote:

Congrats, Amy - it's beautiful! Wish I could hear it properly, live, rather than on a dodgy Skype connection!
Have never really thought about a using guitar humidifiers, are they still necessary even in the damp of the UK? Never heard of using rattlesnake rattles, either - I'm assuming this is as a humidifier, rather than percussion?!

I did not mean to confuse anybody with the rattlers,it is just kinda like a good luck thing around here. I was told that if you were fast enough to get the snakes rattles you would be good at playing,mine came off of dead ones. I do not know if it counts but they did not get too bite me.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Rattlesnake rattles.... if you get one and send it to me, I'll put it in my guitar!  I like the good luck idea behind it. 

Yes, well it's spring here now and no more heater running so we've absolutely got enough humidity.  But I do plan on getting something as the weather changes again here soon.  I even noticed my Laminate Epi seemed to get a bit off this winter, and I suspect it was a humidity issue.  I certianly don't want anything happening to my beautiful Martin.  It feels weird to keep it in a case and not hanging on the wall... but the guys at the shop said it would be better for the guitar/humidity/etc to keep it in there rather than hanging on the wall.  I guess we'll just keep the cheap ones out.  Never fear though, the guitar case isn't in a close or anything... it's always close by!!!!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

33 (edited by naolslager 2012-03-25 12:10:34)

MKM,
While there might be some hype surrounding Martin guitars, a fine guitar is a fine guitar and the 15 series have hit the bullseye for fineness. Everyone I've ever played has been impressive. And for me the blingless appearance is a big positive. Understated, elegant, lovely, and that sound: Wow. Enjoy. Maybe you can put something on YouTube?
dj

p.s. If I had to pick ONE guitar, a Martin 15 series would be it.

You get used to getting it out of the case and putting it back in after awhile.  Yeahh, it's a little pain, but not not bad.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Sweet!! A/E or straight acoustic? You are now spoiled and will never return to a lesser quality guitar.       Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

dino48 wrote:
normtheguitar wrote:

I did not mean to confuse anybody with the rattlers,it is just kinda like a good luck thing around here. I was told that if you were fast enough to get the snakes rattles you would be good at playing,mine came off of dead ones. I do not know if it counts but they did not get too bite me.

I've heard rattlers make fiddles sound better. Not sure about guitars. Most old timers around here will have a rattler - along with some crazy tale - in their fiddle.

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

Round these parts they say the snake has to be kilt with your own bar' hands in order for the humidifying properties of the rattle to work best.

I'm skeered a snakes - that's why I bought a Carbon Fiber guitar!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

auxi wrote:
dino48 wrote:
normtheguitar wrote:

I've heard rattlers make fiddles sound better. Not sure about guitars. Most old timers around here will have a rattler - along with some crazy tale - in their fiddle.

I worked with a drummer named Tommy from the Alabama North Woods. Tommy was a mini-Tarzan. He caught snakes with his bare hands. He bought a fish tank and put a King Snake and a baby rattler together to see who ate who. The decided to cohabitate. If Tommy wasn't wanting a rattlesnake necklace, that pair might still be together today. Tommy was part Indian and told me his kin kept snakes in extreme respect. Arriving at his apartment after a weekend in the woods, Tommy asked me outside to see what he had in the trunk of his car. He opened his trunk lid and I'm hearing and seeing a six foot rattle snake in a canvas bag with a y-shaped stick lashed to it's head.
The sound of the rattles will make Chuck Norris back off a dozen steps. Tommy put the huge snake in his fish tank. He bets anybody they will remove a hand from the outside glass when the snake strikes the glass from the inside. I tried it twice. No bets from me.
After a fun night at the bar, Tommy asks me what I like best grilled outside.
The next day at noon, Tommy pulls out a pistol, shoots the rattlesnake, skins it and cooks the white meat inside in a deep fat fryer. It was good - chewy chicken flavor, yum yum.
He made three necklaces from the six-footer's skin. One for himself, one for me and my wife, Hariett. Mine had Snakeskin around the neck and the rattle from the snake I ate on a brass chain - nine rattles and a button. If you knew rattlers, you could see the rattle was from a big 'un.
I gave my favorite aunt the necklace when she told me she had cancer. We discussed any possible whammy that the necklace might have going for it. She lived another 15 years - cool.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I almost spit coffee all over my keyboard laughing when I read the post that mentioned the "hype" of Martin guitars.  Any company that has been producing a product since 1833 has done it because of quality not "hype".  Hype is for companies that have only been around 25-30 years trying to say their products are as good as Martins.  Congrats again on the 000-15 Amy, its a fine instrument.

I'll be having a NGD this week too.  I'm expecting a Martin 000-16SRGT to arrive this week.  It's my retirement present to myself.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

^ With that logic, you are saying that all Ford vehicles (founded 1903) are of better quality than any Toyota (1937), Honda (1959) Hyundai (1967) and Lexus (1989). I call BS. I'm a Ford guy (see avatar), but I know they have put out some crap vehicles throughout the years.

Now Martin makes a fine product no doubt, but longevity does not automatically equal quality.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Dirty Ed,
I hope it was not my mention of the word "hype" that almost caused the coffee spillage. I'm not saying there is hype just referring to a previous posters use. Martins makes fine instruments and one day I aspire to own one.
dj

Toots interesting stuff about tommy the indian drummer. I got my rattles when I was hunting. I also had one in my takamine when I bought it from AN Indian 100% apache. Amy if you read this I apologize for getting off the subject of your new Martin.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Per my dictionary, hype is defined as:

- to intensify or increase by often questionable methods
- to trick
- intensive or exaggerated publicity or promotion
- a flamboyant or questionable claim or method used in advertising
- a swindle, deception or trick

None of these definitions fit Martin guitars in my opinion. If they had, the company wouldn't still be viable after 179 years

Topdown, what the heck do automobiles have to do with "hype" in reference to acoustic guitars?  And as for age, older is better when it comes to acoustics.  Old growth woods which originally made Martins famous are in short supply although some companies like Taylor, Huss & Dalton, Martin, etc have connections to purchase the best woods available worldwide and to obtain great wood from other sources like "sinker" wood from the bottom of lakes, etc. to use in their high-end guitars. These high- end manufacturers tout their own individual sounds, not compare them to Martin, which many of the cheap guitar makers try to do. Such comparisons in my opinion constitute "hype" in their advertising.

I wasn't referring to your post dj.  There was an earlier one that got me chuckling.

DE

COOL story Toots!

I am scared of snakes, even garden snakes.  Once, a one foot long garden snake about as wide around as a pencil reared up at me by my drivers side door of my car.  YES, like the girl I am I went around to the passenger side to get in (and then I ran the snake over and killed it).  LOL!

Mike - the 000-15M is pure acoustic.  I don't have enough use yet to get a guitar with electronics... and I don't think I know enough about electronics to buy one.  Maybe someday I'll put a pick up in it, but for now a mic will suffice if I need to amplify it for any reason. 

Honestly, my Mother in law had a stroke this week, and now I have a fever and have been so darn sick I haven't had a lot of time to play it.  As soon as I'm feeling better I'll do a recording with my Zoom and upload it to youtube.  I'm sure that sound will be much better than what some of you heard on skype.  It's quite heavenly. 

DJ - yes, the blingless appearance actually makes me like it that much more.  My husband and I were actually commenting on that... and wondering, those guitars that are LOADED with pearl, is their sound sacrificed in the end?  Seems it might be... possibly.

MKM,
I think the Pearl affects the wallet more than the sound.
DJ

I am the one who first talked about said "hype" I just meant that they are so popular and everyone swears they are the greatest. Martin this, Martin that. This automatically turns me off. I'm sure they are great guitars and of course I would take one. But I don't have a dream to have one or strive to obtain one. If I was able to afford one I would most likely look into other brands first. If you can play guitar, it doesn't matter what brand name you have.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't believe everyone says they are the greatest, I play with friends with Gibson's , Taylors, Takamines, Guilds and a few Martins too. I own a Martin and am very happy with it , I don't brag about it or try to convince others to own one. I also own other guitars and I am just as fond of them as the Martin. Today there are a lot of very good guitars out there without spending a fortune.

I do believe Amy chose a great guitar , call it whatever you like. This guitar is the Real Deal, just play one and compare it, this guitar speaks for itself.

Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

My Uncle has a Martin and it's the most beautiful sounding guitar I've ever heard, and a breeze to play. And, on the other hand, I've played guitars that nobody could make sound good. But, I guess it boils down to whatever rocks your boat... Martin rocks me. smile

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law Amy. How is Jim doing?

Hope you start feeling better.

DE

Thanks DE! 

The fever is finally wearing off... I think I might actually have some time to get the guitar out today since I don't feel like sleeping constantly.

Jim is doing pretty well considering.  His father passed away in 94.  He and his sister are obviously very worried about their mom and everyone is doing everything possible to help take care of her.  She has a lot of therapy and doctor's appointments ahead of her