Topic: Getting put in my place

So last night i was practicing and playing. I thought I was doing really good. Everything sounded good, I was hitting all the right chords, blues scales flowed nice and easy. I was having a good night. Then I log into Youtube to check out new vids from my subscriptions. That's when I came across this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … s2KAOnEIDA

Love this guy and can't say enough good things about him.

Right at 8:00 mins was where I realized that I really don't know anything. When will I be able to do that. He made it look so easy and it's just a blues scale but I can't make it sound like that. SIGH....

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Getting put in my place

Yeah, just when you think you're kinda doing all right, YouTube is there to demonstrate that there are 10,000 people better than you thought you were.

3 (edited by Zurf 2012-03-15 21:24:48)

There's always someone better.  I prefer to take that knowledge as a comforting thought than as a challenge.  If you're hitting the blues scale right and having fun with it, you're in the better-than-Zurf category.  And I'm OK with that. 

EDIT TO ADD: I just clicked the link - I subscribe to that guy too.  He's got some terrific lessons and he can definitely RIP a scale. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

There's always someone better.  - Zurf

Yeah, but when am I gonna be better than someone . . . sad

M.B. wrote:
Zurf wrote:

I found someone!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay5o8MEO … re=related

It's not about better than. Music is not a horse race. Competition is not related unless you get into a battle of the bands.
Sincerity, honesty, happiness, sadness and a whole list of emotions and meanings is what we look for in a musician. Technical prowess is way down the list with me. A hot lick artist may impress but my favorite performances are those that say something with voice and instrument and take me to a new place.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

zguitar wrote:

So last night i was practicing and playing. I thought I was doing really good. Everything sounded good, I was hitting all the right chords, blues scales flowed nice and easy. I was having a good night. Then I log into Youtube to check out new vids from my subscriptions. That's when I came across this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … s2KAOnEIDA

Love this guy and can't say enough good things about him.

Right at 8:00 mins was where I realized that I really don't know anything. When will I be able to do that. He made it look so easy and it's just a blues scale but I can't make it sound like that. SIGH....

hey z you should check out Nashville Cats by the Lovin Spoonfull from the late 60's,kinda says what we all feel here.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

M.B. wrote:
M.B. wrote:
Zurf wrote:

I found someone!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay5o8MEO … re=related

Uh...... what did I just watch????????

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

wow I finally found someone worse then me in the above video,he plays and sings bad. To top that off he has a foul mouth!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino, I didnt think his playing was that bad. I don`t think they make enough soap to wash his mouth out though. My voice is awful. That is why I am in a band. Or else that could be me getting ridiculed like that. Plus ,it looks like he is on St. Catherine St.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I would think that if there wasn't someone better then me, I'd be worried then! You reach the top, and then, what? The thing I love about the guitar is finding, learning something new, or different about it! ( Try Celtic tuning )

Can I refer to an old Bob Dylan liner note here? 

Two fellows sit down at a chess board. The first says, " I've played chess for years, thousands of games, never lost once!'  The other fellow says 'I played for years too, and very many games, but I've never won one yet."  First guy gets a grim look and says, " Now, I gotta win."