Topic: forgot how good it is

Somehow today I managed to get some time to myself.Long story short.I forgot how good it is to just sit by myself in my music room with an acoustic guitar,no bass,singer or lead and drummer.Just me.I havent done it in a long time.I love being in a band but I also love being alone with my yamaha playing by myself.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Re: forgot how good it is

J3,
I have the opposite problem. I play solo always and would like to learn from others.
dj

dj, why don`t you look or put a post on craigslist.That is how I met everyone I play with. In the musicians section.It takes a few tries sometimes until you hit on the right group.The worst that can happen is nothing.Too bad you werent up here,you would be welcome to jam with me.Actually, I don`t think there is anyone here from the worcester area.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

naolslager wrote:

J3,
I have the opposite problem. I play solo always and would like to learn from others.
dj

It's the best way to learn, I think.  I hope you can find someone.  If business ever brings you to the D.C. area, let me know.  I live about 40 miles west of DC and would love a chance to do a little back porch picking with you.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

5 (edited by naolslager 2012-03-26 18:55:40)

As much as I am reluctant to admit this, there is the fear factor. For years I shyed away from golf as I do not play regularly and so I thought I would easily be the worst person on the course. What I discovered is I am NOT necessarily the worst and we all seem to have fun anyway. The last time I played golf it had been 3 years since I'd even swung a club. I went into a TOURNAMENT: COLD. The first swing was on the 1st tee and not the driving range. The way I figured it I had a finite number of decent swings in me and I couldn't afford to waste them practicing. Well, my best-ball foursome WON 1st place. For my trouble I got a bag full of golf goodies, $100, and several adult beverages (if my memory serves me) and had a great time and still have fond memories AND A TROPHY!

I guess my guitar journey couldn't be much worse.
dj

P.S. The golf tournament I mentioned was took place in June 2010. I haven't played golf since but I am scheduled to the play in the same tournament this June.

So join us on a Skype call.  It really is a very, very safe and encouraging place. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

That sounds like my last golf tournament experience. Shotgun start on a par 3 with  very little warm up. I step up to the tee and hit it within 10' and putted it in for birdie. I think we only used 2 more of my shots the whole day! I thought I was the only one that believed in the finite number of good swings per round theory. I don't know if I am good enough to teach you anything but the offer stands if you want to play with others let me know. My neighbor just picked up an acoustic and I am currently teaching him chords. I would like to put together a group of folks to get together and play, I always find that to be the best way to learn as  well as the most inspiring method of learning.