Topic: Anybody Hear Noel Gallagher Interviewed

My dad and I were driving home from Rochester, and he had on NPR. He ALWAYS listens to public radio. Anyway, they had an interview with a musican named Noel Gallagher who was in a band called Oasis. It was a very entertaining and interesting interview. You can listen to it here: http://www.npr.org/2012/03/31/149564558 … fter-oasis

During the interview they played a really awesome song that my dad said was called "Wonderwall." They don't have it on Chordie for some reason (although they've got it elsewhere). I've been listening to it on Youtube and I really like it. He plays a Gibson--I think a J200.

Anyone else like this song?

Re: Anybody Hear Noel Gallagher Interviewed

It not being on chordie is partially my fault I guess....  I made a step by step tutorial for it years ago and linked it to the chords here on chordie.  Someone reported it as copywrite infringement and the song and video was removed...   

It really is a great song!  Actually the whole Morning Glory album was oth...

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Please keep in mind that I had only been playing about 6 months in this video...lol But here's an old vid of me playing through it way back when.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Oc7jcfXp44

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.

Hi M.B.,

I have sent you the lyrics and chords for this song. Pix's video shows clearly what I was explaining about leaving the ring and pinky in a fixed position for the intro, outro and verses.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

You might want to try it slowed down a little and fingerpicked like Ryan Adams covered it....

Here's Ryans http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptZw8x1I … re=related

I play a mesh of the two versions now...

MB, I don't know how old you are, but it makes me feel old by how you described your dad telling you about the song.  I don't particularly care for it, but Wonderwall is on everyone's easy play list I think. I don't know if Oasis has anything out in recent years. The Gallagher brothers are notorious for having spats and braking up the band.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

zguitar,

Yeah, from the interview I listened to, it sounded like Noel and his brother did a lot of arguing, but Noel was really funny and down-to-earth when he was talking about his experiences.

I'm enjoying learning about Oasis and Wonderwall--thanks everyone for your input!!!

I found this funny video about a guy learning Wonderwall, but not because he likes the song!

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/39451 … o-get-laid

Guitarpix wrote:

Please keep in mind that I had only been playing about 6 months in this video...lol But here's an old vid of me playing through it way back when.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Oc7jcfXp44

Awesome job Guitarpix! I think you were doing great for having been playing for only six months. I bet  you're really good now.

M.B. wrote:

I bet  you're really good now.

Actually that was about the height of my musical prowess..  I seem to have gotten progressively worse over the years wink

10 (edited by Buzzwagon 2012-04-01 21:45:20)

zguitar wrote:

MB, I don't know how old you are, but it makes me feel old by how you described your dad telling you about the song.  I don't particularly care for it, but Wonderwall is on everyone's easy play list I think. I don't know if Oasis has anything out in recent years. The Gallagher brothers are notorious for having spats and braking up the band.

The Gallaghers made some great music with Oasis, even if they did steal every riff the Beatles ever came up with. Noel quit the band after a huge bust up in Paris in 2010. He set up his own band, The High Flying Birds, and they're a great band. They're actually starting a world tour next month kicking off in the US in Milwaukee.

Liam and the rest of band have carried on recording under the name Beady Eye.

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

Some of Noel Gallagher's interviews are legendary.

I can't remember the conversation verbatim, but that one where he was at the Brit awards about 5 years ago and he was asked by an interviewer was he looking forward to watching The Scissor Sisters perform.

"Er, no," he said.

So the interviewer said: "Well what will you do when they perform then, Noel?" To which he replied:  "Probably go for a sh*te!!!"

Hahaha.

Go and listen to 'Masterplan' if you want a great Oasis song.

Beautiful one that.

"And on payday, we'll tear the place down.
With a pint, in our hand's, and a bash 'em out band.
Sure we'll dance, to the sound, of the rain falling down.
In our Northern Industrial Town."

Wonderwall is so overplayed it's created it's own internet meme...

http://chzbromania.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/guidos-bros-douchebags-fratboys-everyone-and-their-mother-can-play-that-on-guitar.jpg

http://i.qkme.me/357gmz.jpg

It's the new "Stairway to Heaven!"

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

13 (edited by Buzzwagon 2012-04-02 21:13:27)

RFA Colin wrote:

Beautiful one that.

Great shout

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

Here's a cool WW tutorial.  Some great info here - theory too (relatively survivable even)
http://spytunes.com/acoustic-guitar/beg … all-chords 

BTW nice job GP -- do you still have the arch top??  very cool piece.

15 (edited by M.B. 2012-04-03 12:47:21)

Those posters are funny Jerome! Blerg. I was gonna put a cover of "Wonderwall" on my first CD--you know, the one that sells a million copies. Now what am I going to do? Turns out my favorite new song is just . . . a, a, INTERNET MEME!!!

But you know what? I was digging through my dads record collection and I found a great song about deforestation in Scandanavia, and it's not too hard to play. I think it's called "Norwegian Wood." I bet NOBODY has heard of that one. Have you? It's by some band called "The Bangles" or "The Bee Gees" . . . I don't know, something with a B. The "Beastie Boys" maybe. Or "The Beetle Boys."

Beasties are besties!

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

M.B. wrote:

But you know what? I was digging through my dads record collection and I found a great song about deforestation in Scandanavia, and it's not too hard to play. I think it's called "Norwegian Wood." I bet NOBODY has heard of that one. Have you? It's by some band called "The Bangles" or "The Bee Gees" . . . I don't know, something with a B. The "Beastie Boys" maybe. Or "The Beetle Boys."

You'er kidding right MB?

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

18 (edited by M.B. 2012-04-04 14:33:16)

ZEE!!!! Am I kidding?? "A song about deforestation in Scandanavia"? Of course, I was kidding. Everyone knows that "Norwegian Wood" is about about a golf club!!!

At first, Ringo wanted to call the song "Sand Wedge," but John said that wasn't poetic enough. Paul suggested , "Mashie Niblick," which John liked, but he worried that Americans would think they were singing about drugs. George, observing his bandmates with an air of bemused aloofness, smiled and suggested, "Putter."

Paul laughed. Ringo complained, "I don't get it."

"It's shagging, you bleeding idiot," Paul replied, giving Mr. Starkey a dope slap.

"Naw, naw, naw," John interupted, "all you need is love, not sex."

The boys nodded gravely. Ringo rubbed the back of his head and observed silently, "If I lived in a yellow submarine, he couldn't hit me like that."

"Look," John said, "I got blistahs on my fingahs from  this bloody driver that a cute bird gave me in Oslo--mates, I'm callin' this song 'Norwegian Wood' and that's final!"

^ That's freaking hilarious MB - If you just made that up, major kudos to you! Writing songs and screenplays are in your future!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

You are HIIIIIIILARIOUS MB.

Speechless  lol

Later, Wayne P

Thanks, guys! I'm glad it gave you a laugh. It was fun to write, although I did have to look up the stuff about golf clubs because I don't know how to play golf. My dad likes to say "mashie niblick" because he thinks it sounds funny. But did you know . . .

"In 1930, when Bobby Jones won the Grand Slam, he carried 14 clubs in his bag. The 14 clubs were a Driver, Brassie ,Spoon, Long Spoon, Driving Iron, Iron 1, Mid-Iron 2, Mashie-Iron 3, Iron 4, Mashie 5, Spade-Mashie 6, Mashie-Niblick 7, Niblick 8, Cleek Iron, Concave-Sand Wedge and his famous putter, Calamity Jane."

zguitar wrote:

MB, I don't know how old you are, but it makes me feel old by how you described your dad telling you about the song.

I thought the same thing.

Reminds me of a story about my niece.  She was 10 years old when Wayne's World came out in 1992.  Needless to say I'm a bit older.  She came to me one day, very excited, and asked me if I had heard that great "new" song "Bohemian Rhapsody" by "some band" named Queen.

I just looked at her, smiled, and said, "Sweetheart, that song is older than you are."

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Buzzwagon wrote:
RFA Colin wrote:

Beautiful one that.

Great shout

Jerry

I'll second that.  My personal favorite Oasis tune.  It also happens to be one that I can play reasonably well, so that helps.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.