Topic: Lost an old friend today

An old school buddy of mine, Tom passed away today - he was only 48 years old. I've known him since a teenager and although I can't say we were super close, he was a fixture in my old neighborhood and we would often see other around town and have a few beers together whenever I was visiting.

He was diagnosed with Oral Cancer in January - and he wasn't a smoker or user of any kind of tobacco. 3 months of treatment had little effect and went under hospice care this past weekend. He went so fast (which may have been a blessing).

Last year was tough on Tom as he lost both of his folks, only a few months apart. The whole clan were regulars at the local pub "The Bull and The Bear" and you could pretty much be sure to see at least one of the family there anytime you visited. One of the quirks at the bar that I always enjoyed was a betting pool on the color of Vannah's dress every night before The Wheel came on. Toss in $5 "Black, Red, Green" - whatever -funny thing is the winner always bought the next round which pretty much made it an even bet.

It's just hitting home - the dude was my age. I've lost many family members from cancer (as many members here know) - this is just the latest incident to wake me up and realize how important every day is and should be appreciated. Forget your petty grievances, give your loved ones a hug. In Tom's memory, do it!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Re: Lost an old friend today

My condolences to ya topdown. You are right, we should count every day as a blessing.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Top sorry to hear about your friend its something we all have to come to grips with as we age friends and family members but they remain in our memories my condolences.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your friend.  I hate cancer.  If you want to talk or anything, you've got my e-mail, cell phone, Skype, etc.  I haven't got much to say, but if you do have something to say, then I'll be all ears. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Topdown, so sorry to hear about the passing of your friend. Every day is special.That`s what enjoy every sandwich means

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

That's tough Tops. Sorry to hear. Oral cancer, that's a weird one for didn't indulge in tobacco.

A great line from Kung Fu Panda:

Yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, but today is a gift. That's why they call it the present.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

My condolances to you tops,seems like he was pretty young too go.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Thanks everyone. I'm a pretty tough guy when it comes to this sort of thing. I lost my eldest son almost 10 years ago after a long battle with cancer. His fight changed my life and that of many others in such a positive way.

But as life moves on and the day to day grind takes over, we seem to forget the big picture. That is the point of my post and the quotes from Z and Joeyx3 - today is a present, enjoy every sammich - that's what needs to be shared. Tell me you've given your loved ones an extra hug tonight in Tom's memory (as I have), and make the most of your life and those around you every day.

Here's a shot of Tom from only 6 months ago - he was always a ham and so full of life.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/546817_3562478619688_1204516296_3560087_873474129_n.jpg

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend, Jeff.

Although I cannot give my daughter and grandchildren a hug as they are all in the UK, I make sure that I contact them regularly and never say goodbye with out telling them that I love them.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I feel your pain Jeff. I have lost several friends over the last couple of years due to various diseases,life style choices,etc. It's never easy getting a glimpse of our own mortality. I try to keep their memories alive in my heart and I think of them often. Sometimes it brings a tear,sometimes a smile, but I know as long as I keep them alive in my memories they will never be truly gone.   Butch

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

So sorry to hear about your friend Jeff.  It seems today everyone knows someone that has passed from cancer, or is currently trying to fight it.  My sincere condolences, and hugs to you.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Jeff, My condolences. Remember the good times together and why you were friends.There was a reason why he was special in your life. Celebrate the good things he gave to your life.
  Joe

Oh man that's awful. So sorry.

That is sad news indeed, Jeff. On the positive side, as you said, it was pretty quick. And his parents went before him, which is the way it should be also. And as you said, the passing of friends around you gives you pause to reflect on your life and hopefully enjoy what you have.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Sorry Tops, I feel for ya. Lost a long time friend and musician a couple weeks ago myself. Good memories.

Dwell on the good times past and those to come. My friend Tommy Gatewood would have said the same.

Our intuitions serve us well

Thanks again everybody. I sometimes use chordie as my sounding board, and the support is always amazing. I really appreciate my chordie family!

I spoke to a close friend of mine tonight (Keith the drummer) who was very close to Tom and had seen him several times in the last few weeks. Keith said Toms spirits were very high until the very end and told me of their conversations and joking around (which can't be repeated in this family friendly forum). It seems Tom was at peace with his condition and maker and laughing with Keith made us both feel good. We ended the call with "love ya mans" and that is what this post is all about.

I'll be going to bed with good memories on my mind tonight. Thanks again everyone for your thoughts and well wishes.

While sad, it's good to know that Tom's spirits were high and that he was at peace with his condition and the maker.  That certianly helps to make it a bit easier for his friends and family to miss him, and not be as sad for him.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.