Topic: chord changes

Hey,
I've been playing for a few months now and I think I'm doing ok.  I can play the simple chords and can pick out a few simple songs.  My strumming technique could certainly use some work but it's passable for now.  My main issue though is that I am horrible at chord changes.  I was wondering if anybody had any tips for getting better at nailing chord changes and maybe some exercises for getting those chords that require you to stretch a long way.  Thanks.

-AJ

Re: chord changes

For me, i like to play what i can, but ill play it a little slower, and between chord changes, I will check out my fingers and make the reach as fast as i can, but slow enough so that i dont accidentally hit another note. By doing that, i am able to make these slow chord changes without looking. Maybe if i keep doing so, i can watch my cjhord changes once again, but move a little faster. Then im hoping that soon i will be able to do fast chord changes without looking.

Try to make the chord shape with your fingers before you touch the strings.  In other words, you should be able to make the shape of the chord without having to put your fingers on the strings one at a time.  This has helped me a lot.  I would just make a C shape (for example) and press it up against the fret board all at once in order to get a C chord.  This really helped me with the D chord, which, although I'm still working on it, I've gotten much better.

when I started playing guitar learning chords was the first thing I did

it takes time.  how much time depends partly on how much you practice but even the most committed guitarist will take some considerable time to master open chords

the good news is that all that practice is toughening your fingers, strenghening your muscles, improving flexibility and getting your fingers used to the size shape and feel of the neck and the frets

the thing to remember about chord changes is that you have to practice until your fingers move between chords almost without you being conscious of that - and for that to happen it has to be a comfortable and economic movement

for example A to E.  whenever you make that change you will turn your wrist, your first finger will drop a fraction and your second and third finger will rise simulataneously. Ideally there should be no other movement in the hand or fingers - its an almost graceful transition.

its worth watching guitarists make chord changes

look the beginners videos at   

http://www.justinguitar.com/

5 (edited by petermiss 2007-06-25 15:36:28)

Hi AJ!
I've had some help on this site:

http://www.fenderplayersclub.com

You don't need to own a Fender to get in... :-)

I think you should take a look at this article (skip the things you already know):

http://www.fenderplayersclub.com/pdfs/l … Basics.pdf

There are tips on chord changing and finger movement, with chord progressions to play for practice.

Hope it helps!

/Missen

If you love what you do, there's no need to be good at it...

As mentioned in previous posts....practice, practice, practice. Something that worked for me was playing 2 chords in a progression back to back, over and over again, till I got it right. Practice strumming the chords, but if you get one wrong, don't stop playing...just fix your finger positions in the middle of it. Keep doin that, and eventually your aim will be right on and you'll stop missing. If you stop when you hit a wrong string, and start over, you're not really making any progress. It can be a slow, painstaking, and sometimes disheartening process, but don't lose faith. It's effective, and it will make things come more naturally in the future. Hope this helps...

A lot of chords have some common finger positions. What I try to do is figure out the common position and leave that finger on the guitar and then work around to the other position.