1 (edited by naolslager 2012-04-07 20:28:40)

Topic: Aaaah the B Chord, now I understand Zurf's signature block

B has supplanted F as the evil incarnate chord. Whilst learning a new Zeppelin tune I am also trying to learn "Where Did you Sleep Last Night" the Leadbelly-covered-by-Nirvana tune. Well wouldn't you know it finally an easy strumming pattern, words anyone can likely mumble through and for good effect, but there's that darn B chord.

Marty Schwartz is trying to help but it is up to me to accomplish the phalange gymnastics required.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBFlwcopJwQ

I suppose if I am going to tackle barre chords why start with something easy.
dj

p.s. No, I can't speedily get to the F barre either.

Re: Aaaah the B Chord, now I understand Zurf's signature block

I found if I played either the E or A shaped chord using my middle,ring and pinkie it made the transition to the barre much easier.   Butch

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

3 (edited by naolslager 2012-04-07 21:04:18)

bswyers wrote:

I found if I played either the E or A shaped chord using my middle,ring and pinkie it made the transition to the barre much easier.   Butch

WOW! That really helps. 73% faster and a whole lot less thinking. I've not quite got it yet but a big help. thanks!

Okay, I'm tuning down a 1/2 and digging in. Tonight could be the night.
dj

Just practice 5 chords ("power chords") up and down the neck if you want to work the barre.   Only three strings involved and you can pretend you're a rock Gawd.

This is a nice little exercise that will get you used to working the index finger.  You can work into "real" chords as your hand strengthens.

G5       A5     D5     E5     G5     A5     D5     A5
E||----------------------------------------------10-----5-------|
B||----------------------------------8----10----10-----5-------|
G||-------------------7------9------7------9------7------2-----|
D||-----5------7------7------9------5------7-------------------|
A||-----5------7------5------7----------------------------------|
E||-----3------5-------------------------------------------------|

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I don't know how to explain how to play the B other than to say this: I barre with my index finger and roll it to the inside aspect of the finger (the part of the finger that is "facing" the middle finger. The "meat" of the finger is thinner there and allows the use of your finger bone to come into play. This also allows me to roll my ring finger toward the aspect of the finger closest to the pinky. Again: thinner "meat" and using the bone of the finger to press down on the strings.

I don't play the first string when I barre this way-just the sixth through second.

Once you have that down it is easy to slide down the neck to a barred "C" , "D", "E" (done the B way), etc...Learning how to use this barre opens up a ton of possibilities for your playing IMHO. I find myself playing every song I learn with open chords and barre chords: Hotel California for example. I don't use a capo I just barre the whole song. It strums well and you can pick the song and it sounds the same.

I have also found that if I am playing a song that requires an A to a D or a G to a C all you have to do when you barre is to pull off your middle and pinky fingers and flatten the ring finger to the "B" type barre.

Once you learn how to find the barre chords on the neck you will find many songs that may have caused you problems, due to chord change speed or finding the chords, will be much easier to play with just barre chords.

Don't want to hijack this thread so tell if I should start another.

How many of you play the REAL B barre chord with the high e? I did some checking and lots of people leave out the e like bun does. If you look up a B chord chart it shows x13331. I'm not saying it's wrong to leave out the e I'm just curious. Without the e is it still just a B or something weird like B#add2sus?

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I like the full chord when I play an alternating bass I like the sound of the lower 5th - it's worth the stretch.
I am still working on the barre but I see where being able to use different voicings makes for more interesting accompaniment --  2 guitars doing exactly the same thing is ok but the other adds a lot to the sound.  Capo works too but being able to move around the neck is pretty cool.

I'm sure what I do. Marty (YouTube) is telling me to mute it for this song.

9 (edited by bswyers 2012-04-08 16:40:58)

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not well versed in theory, but if you are playing an E shaped barre chord your low E string is the root note and is barred. In an A shaped barre chord the A string becomes the root and is also barred and the E string is not played. In both examples the high E string is barred and played.

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

bunbun wrote:

I don't know how to explain how to play the B other than to say this: I barre with my index finger and roll it to the inside aspect of the finger (the part of the finger that is "facing" the middle finger. The "meat" of the finger is thinner there and allows the use of your finger bone to come into play. This also allows me to roll my ring finger toward the aspect of the finger closest to the pinky. Again: thinner "meat" and using the bone of the finger to press down on the strings.

I don't play the first string when I barre this way-just the sixth through second.

I do something similar, except I roll my index to the opposite side (side facing my thumb).  Less strain on the wrist for me.  Also, because my fingers are long, I have to lay my ring finger at an angle across strings 2-4, again, slightly rolled toward the headstock.  I've worked on this long enough now that I can usually play the first string with a reasonably clean tone.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

bswyers wrote:

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not well versed in theory, but if you are playing an E shaped barre chord your low E string is the root note and is barred. In an A shaped barre chord the A string becomes the root and is also barred and the E string is not played. In both examples the high E string is barred and played.

You are correct, i.e., that is normally what you would try to do.  But you do not HAVE to play the high E string on either one in order to make the chord.  You can mute it and still have the complete major triad covered across 5 strings (E-shape) or 4 strings (A-shape).

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

zguitar wrote:

How many of you play the REAL B barre chord with the high e? I did some checking and lots of people leave out the e like bun does. If you look up a B chord chart it shows x13331. I'm not saying it's wrong to leave out the e I'm just curious. Without the e is it still just a B or something weird like B#add2sus?

I try to include it.  As others have said it requires some finger gymnastics but I like the sound so I always try to hit it properly.  Right now I can make it sound good about 20% of the time, which is up from zero.

Having said that, it's OK to leave out the high E string.  It's still a complete chord.

Example:  B major chord = notes B, D#, F# (only)

Playing strings 5 thru 1 (fret in parentheses): 
5 (2) = B
4 (4) = F#
3 (4) = B
2 (4) = D#
1 (2) = F#

So you can omit string 1 (high E) because you already have an F# on string 4.

You DO however, want to omit or mute the low E string (6).  If you barre it on 2 for a B and play it then technically it's a B/F#.  It's an inversion (first inversion, I think) of B major.  Still a B chord, but the tonality will sound a bit off because the lowest note is not the root.

zguitar wrote:

x24442

Man I'm stupid!!!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Astronomikal wrote:
bunbun wrote:

I do something similar, except I roll my index to the opposite side (side facing my thumb).  Less strain on the wrist for me.  Also, because my fingers are long, I have to lay my ring finger at an angle across strings 2-4, again, slightly rolled toward the headstock.  I've worked on this long enough now that I can usually play the first string with a reasonably clean tone.

I chuckled when I read what you said about long fingers. I am 6-4 and have small hands (and feet) for my size. This truly sucks as I find I have to do some finger gymnastics to do some chords that are easy for my brother (who is an inch shorter but has HUGE hands). Oh...No jokes about small hands and feet...

It's the Evil B.  It's not hard because of music theory, or phallangial development, or an accident of tuning.  It's hard because it is taunting you.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I will prevail!

Zurf wrote:

It's the Evil B.  It's not hard because of music theory, or phallangial development, or an accident of tuning.  It's hard because it is taunting you.

It's the six foot putt of guitar.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]