1 (edited by alvee33 2007-06-26 08:17:53)

Topic: Memory man

Does anyone have any tips on imroving one's ability to remember words and chords?

I am pretty much ok with most chords and can barre fine but my problem is trying to remember a whole song from start to finish. I'm fine if I have a note of these next to me just to jog things along. I think it's mostly remembering the words that is the problem because that then puts you off and you start to fluff the chords too.

So is it just a matter of playing and singing a song over and over til it sticks or does someone out there have any secret recipe for such things?

I've also just turned 40 so maybe I'm a bit late trying to improve my memory. I can feel the dementia creeping in as I type.

All the best,

Al V

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Re: Memory man

The way I commit the lyrics too memory it is by listening to the song over and over and learning one verse at a time.  I dont think there's any other way tbh.

As for the chords?  I have the same problem myself. Again, I'd just stick at memorising one small section at a time, building them up one section at a time untill you're not even thinking about what you're playing at all.

Craig.

Blind acceptance is a sign, of stupid fools who stand in line.  John Lydon.

'Mod' is a shorter word for 'young, beautiful and stupid' - we've all been there." - Pete Townshend.

my tips -

- get a exercise book - write the name of your song -  write the chords down clearly - writing helps recall - focus on the progressions that make up the song  (eg  D G A )

- learn some musical theory - enough that you can work out the expected chords in any key - and  analyse songs in terms of progressions (ie I, IV V) - you will find that if you can remember the key and any oddities you can quickly work out the chords.

- record the song and work out the chords from listening to the recording

- when learning a song make sure you understand the song - and all the metaphors etc

- then learn the rymes (if any)  - the rest will follow

Hi Alvee33,

I must admit I have the same problem and I gave up trying to remember all the songs I know a long while ago.

I have them all written down and even when I am performing I have them in front of me. I understand that a lot of top professional performers will have a monitor screen at their feet doing the same thing unfortunately I can only afford to have them on paper.

Sorry this will not help improve your memory, it is a cheat, but is does help get the lyrics and chords right.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

As a 40 somthing fellow dementia sufferer, I share your problem. Have you tried writing the song out in 'nashville notation'? Its a type of shorthand that can shrink an entire song down to a paragraph size or less. I find it more usefull than having the whole tab in front of me and its usually enough to jar my memory.

Luck to you...

Try practicing the songs with some chouds taken off the paper and slowly remove all chords.  and do the same thing with the lyrics.

Thanks guys. I had never heard of Nashville Notation but it looks like it could become very useful. I'm not quite up to speed on my music theory but I know enough to get me there slowly (I look like Joey from Friends tyring to divide 300 by 13).

I have also found that recording yourself singing a song helps a lot since it forces you to really concentrate on the song and the structure of the progressions. Well, you want it to sound good - even if it is recorded just for yourself.

Thanks again, I'll keep at it,

Al V

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??