1 (edited by naolslager 2012-04-05 09:42:16)

Topic: "Stuck in Lodi Again"

Been out of the country all week sans guitar. Currently holed up in the Paris airport trying to get back to the U.S. Can't wait to play again. BY the way I don't recommend either the Istanbul airport or the Paris airport. Both are maddeningly illogical.

The only positive is the free Air France Lounge beer!

Re: "Stuck in Lodi Again"

naolslager wrote:

The only positive is the free Air France Lounge beer!

How is French beer?  We all know about their reputation for wine, but how's the beer?  Free is my favorite brand. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

naolslager wrote:

Been out of the country all week sans guitar.

I'm in the same position. Currently miserable.

The French, despite their peculiarities with cars and aircraft, have managed to perfect almost every aspect of the culinary arts.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

5 (edited by Buzzwagon 2012-04-05 15:41:46)

jerome.oneil wrote:

The French, despite their peculiarities with cars and aircraft, have managed to perfect almost every aspect of the culinary arts.

Although sadly Parisiens have yet to even consider the joys of customer service. And their Government are coming up with the most ludicrous traffic laws you can imagine. Got a motorcycle made earlier than 2004? From July you won't be able to take it into the centre of town and it will also be illegal to travel in France without carrying a breathyliser, (Yes, YOU have to carry it, not the police). Failure to carry said item will result in an on the spot fine. If you don't have the money the police will drive you to an ATM to get it, and if you still can't get it they'll impound your vehicle. They are also making filtering, (I think you guys call it lane splitting), illegal.

About 3 weeks ago 90,000 French bikers bought the country to a standstill in protest at their Governments draconian approach to my favourite form of transport. That's one thing you have to hand to the French, when they don't like something they make a fuss about it.

I love the French for their peculiarities and, at the same time, can't stand them for their arrogance.

As an additional aside to Jerome's comment about French food, I think the Italians produce FAR better food than some of the slop I've been served up all over France and the Belgians produce far and away the best, and most varied, lagers in Europe with us Brits winning the Ale event by a country mile. The French might just produce the best wine but even that's arguable, there are some great Italian and Spanish wines and outside of Europe, the good ole USA gives them a  run for their money as do the Aussies, the South Africans and several South American wines! It's only the French that believe they produce the best of everything!

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

yep, i agree with you jerry, the french are strange to a high degree. i dont like wine much but californian wine is much nicer as is australian wine. give me a good sherry any time. i do drive a renault (my second) though must say i thought rovers were brilliant for a cheap car before they went bust!
totally disagree with french food....the best steak i ever had was in australia, by a country mile and a half..LOL

by the way, french traffic laws only affect non-french drivers, and they also flout british laws when they're over here.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Zurf wrote:

How is French beer?  We all know about their reputation for wine, but how's the beer?  Free is my favorite brand. 

- Zurf

Zurf,
The beer was Heineken. Hardly my favorite and hardly French. And it was packaged in thin 9.4 oz. cans. I had to drink three and rapidly.:)
dj

8 (edited by naolslager 2012-04-06 12:22:49)

Home and jet-lagged, 8 hour time shift. A few cups of that (other) magic elixir: coffee and it's Time to GET BACK TO PLAYING. I am very excited!
The washing machine quit working while I was away so a DIY repair looms and will interrupt playing but maybe there's a song in the experience?

Just got back from Paris
Put my dirty clothes in the machine
Found a problem with the washer
It wouldn,t get my clothes clean.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Opened a beer bigger than the French's
and set about getting my tools.
The light in the shop burned out
and in leaving I tripped over the benches.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

The phone rings
the washer is broke
timing's perfect but nothing to do
cause my job says move and I am remote

Home again
a little jet-lagged
the wife says please
and I say tomorrow

Troubleshooting done
but not before I tore it apart
motor coupler intact
the agitator's next

found the dogs worn
bought a new set
$3 on online
now I wait

check off the honey do
too early for beer
so I'm back to playing
instead of buying new gear

Everythings broke
No time to fix
So I get my guitar
and play a few licks

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

My mind set? piss poor.
my patience? worn thin!
I'll not leave for a week
sans guitar again.

I guess I'm addicted
to that beat up ol' axe.
Time to get my ass home
and lay down some tracks.

My 6 string, a pint,
and my songbook from Chordie.
Wait - what is that? A damned F chord?
Good Lordy!

I guess I'll transpose it
or sub out the F...
(Or hope that my listeners
are drunk and are deaf.)

I should be working
on playing that barre,
but sadly I'm traveling
without my guitar.

14 (edited by naolslager 2012-04-07 11:28:38)

There is more to this saga. I spent all day yesterday troubleshooting this thing. Finally I found someone who knew washers inside and out and he kindly walked me through the troubleshooting. A very pleasant experience because I had called to purchase a new gearbox ($129) - thinking it HAD to be the gearbox, although I had opened it and everything looked in order. The seller told me how to confirm or deny my suspicion and it turns out the gearbox is okay. The culprit WAS the direct drive coupler - a $5 part. This is the most common failure and one I had replaced before. Except last time it was obvious this part was bad as it was a pile of dust. This time it looked okay but upon much closer inspection and with the help of my new tech "friend" it became clear it had failed again.

The part is ordered and I wait. However since I opened the gearbox case I now have to refill the oil and reseal the case. All is not lost as I learned a lot about washers. Let me know if you ever have a washer failure I may be able to help.

On the guitar front, I did play much yesterday and my index finger is sore as I am working on "hammer-ons", "pull-offs", and "hammer-on pull-offs" while working on Led Zeppelin's song "Over the Hills and Far Away" I love this song, always have. In fact this is one of the songs that caused me to want to play the acoustic guitar. Due to these techniques this is not an easy song so I am comfortably out of my comfort zone, learning something new, and having a blast! If I get to where I can credibly play even part of this song I will be happy.

Thanks for reading this somewhat random post.
dj

p.s. I plan to send my new mechanical mentor a thank you note.

Well, i repaired the washing machine over a week ago, I've been out of the country and no reports of it misbehaving. Heading home in a few hours but it takes 24 hours of travel to do it. Someone give me a sharp pencil so i can gouge my eyes.