Topic: Long Scale versus Short Scale

Is a short scale guitar any easier to learn hammer-ons and pull-offs with? I am trying to learn Led Zeppelin's "Over the Hills and Far Away" which is full of these techniques and more. I am having an easier time with my 000-body than my dreadnought. Real or imagined? Same string brand and size.
Thoughts.

Thanks,
dj

Re: Long Scale versus Short Scale

Real...  Short scale guitars have less string tension

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I'm talking about a 25.4" versus a 24.9"
Can that small amount make a tangible difference?
I'm also comparing between 1 11/16" nut and a 1 3/4" nut which might have something to do with equation.

Nut width, neck profile, fret wire size, set up, neck radius, etc... could all contribute but yes the difference in tension between a 25.4 and 24.9 scale is notable.

Figuring it in my head so I could be a little off, but it'd be like a standard scale tuned down about 1/4 step

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

The trick to that song is to learn the G and D shapes really well.  You never really come out of it.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

jerome.oneil wrote:

The trick to that song is to learn the G and D shapes really well.  You never really come out of it.

Jerome,
I'm pretty sure I understand what you are saying. I am using You Tube (and Marty Swartz especially) to learn this song. It is not for beginners so it is a big stretch for me but I do love the song so it's worth trying and it will get me out of my comfort zone.
dj

As a confirmed Zep freak, it is one of my favorites, too.  In fact, when I first started playing it was my first "goal" song.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Zep "freak" may not be the right word but I do consider them among the my favorite and very likely THE favorite. I still have all their LPs except one. They haven't been played since the early 1980s as I do not have a turntable or a stereo for that matter. Today it's the iPod.