Topic: Johnny Cash Flower-Pickin' Pardon Petition

I happen to live in the little town where Johnny Cash was arrested for picking flowers.  The song "Starkville City Jail" tells his version of events and about his night in our local jail.

Some local residents have now mounted a petition drive to get his conviction for public drunkeness overturned.  Here is an article in our local newspaper:
http://www.starkvilledailynews.com/inde … p;id=18131

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Re: Johnny Cash Flower-Pickin' Pardon Petition

thanks for that james.  iam becoming more and more of a cash fan thaI thought I would have done.
Cant listen to him much in the house when my wife is in as she doesnt like his stuff ( in fact, she doesnt like much msic i like apart from the trad. stuff)

Anyway, funny thing about this thread is, I was ging to start a thread about Johnny Cash, but I tihnk I will just have my wee say here about a song of his.

the song is called " Ragged old flag"
I am not one for loving americans for their patrionism as I think lots take it a bit too far, as do some scottish, so I am not just disliking americans here for taking patrioism (is that a word?) too far. I myself hate myself sometimes for the way I go on about scotland, na!!, i never hate myself. Hate is too strong a word to use here, so, hmmmmm, pain in the bums is what I will use instead of "hate"
Aye, so?????? where was I going wit hthis?
oh yeah, this song " ragged old flag" is surely one of the best ( not thee best though) for a patriotic song. I dont even mind it is about the American flag

if ye have never heard thi song and yer american Ican guarantee ye, ye will love it.
If yer not american I still thnk you will like it a lot for the words in it. It is more of a poem than a song. Like a poem with some soft music through it, not county or country and western sounding at all.

there,
jus thought I would share that wit hye all

( and for any lovely american folk that think I am doing a bit of american bashing, Iwasnt,or not fully, but with me being half american I think I would have the right to half bash them ,lol, joking!!!!)

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

I love Johhny Cash.  So like him to be picking flowers.  The first song of his I used to sing (only with his recording playing on a little tiny radio glued to my ear) was Ring Of Fire. (I was about 5) I just loved that song.  When I was nine, my mother took me to see him at an outdoor concert (Toronto CNE), and HE GAVE ME HIS HARMONICA!!!!!   Now, how's that for bragging........   Anyway, I only recently (few months ago) heard his version of "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face".  Knowing about his wife dying and how much he loved her, it really made me cry.

The Pardon Johnny Cash Petition Drive now has a website where you can add your name to the list and also tell your Johnny Cash anecdote.  A Flower Pickin' Festival (with music) is being planned for the fall.

They also have t-shirts for sale (black of course!) and other interesting stuff at the site:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu … =188563307

VirginiaK, I'm sure they would love to hear your story and see of photo of you with your wonderful harmonica - what an absolute treasure!  James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Thanks for showing me this site yesterday.
I've been in touch with them to get one of those t-shirts mailed to England.

This guy was a genius, everbody who values musical freedom should support this site.

By the way "Johnny Cash at San Quentin Prison" was the first album I ever bought when I was 11 years old. It had a great influence on my music (and still does)

Keep the faith