Topic: Dirty Ed vs the Digital Age

I've been a involved with hydraulic/pneumatic/electrical/electronic industrial control systems my whole life as an I/C Tech, but as I've gotten older and components have become smaller and less repair-friendly in this digital age, I have become more frustrated.  Recently I've had two events occur which illustrate what I'm talking about:

CASE #1
I laundered my cell phone several weeks ago.  It went for a wet ride in the pocket of a pair of jeans I was washing and I only realized my error when I heard it banging around in the dryer. I tried all the usual things like immersing it in a container of rice for a couple days and leaving it in the sun, but nothing could revive it.  My wife was somewhat pleased as it now gave her an excuse to get new phones for both of us.  I was working a 12-hour night shift and had just 3 hours sleep when she came home with the new phones. She was excited and it was almost like listening to a machine gun.

"Oh, I got our new phones, and they're a lot better than our old ones ..... blah, blah, blah......." as she hands me one of them.
"How do I call someone on it?" I ask
"Now we can text our kids, blah, blah, blah......"
"But how do I call someone on it ?" I ask
"And we can access the internet, check the weather, blah, blah, blah ..............."
"And how do I call someone on it ?" I ask as I throw it across the room

It has a touch screen that turns off in about 10 seconds if you don't swipe the right icon, and has a pull-out drawer that has a keyboard like a computer except it's about the size of a credit card.  To use it, I have to "calibrate" the touch screen to my fingers.  It won't accept my thumb as it is too big, as well as all my fingers except my little one.  The keyboard is so small I press about half a dozen keys every time I try to type something. So now every time my phone rings, I'm scrambling to find my reading glasses and get them on so I can see the "answer" icon which I must then swipe with my little finger or a stylus or pencil which I have to carry so I can text.  On top of this the #!$!%!^% thing has to be charged every day, so its pretty much worthless the second day of an overnight camping or float trip. Bottom line is I now usually just leave it at home to avoid the frustration.

CASE #2
Two weeks ago Jennifer tells me our oven isn't working.  She had tried to set the digital clock and the electronic controls had locked up.  I checked it and the digital readout read 5A6. I hit the reset button but nothing happened.  I hit the "clear" button but again no change.  I kill the breaker and when I turn it back on, the 5A6 is still staring at me.  I ask Jen if she checked the manual that came with the stove but she has misplaced it.  I go on-line to try to find a manual and find one I can buy for $10 and print out, but my $!@%!^!& printer isn't working.  I think about it and in all my years of troubleshooting circuits I've never had one that wouldn't at least clear when the power is cut, so I figure the control board is bad and I'll just go ahead and order a new part. I spend a day trying to find out the model number of the stove.  I check it all over, take panels off, etc and finally find out that if you remove the drawer beneath the oven (storage for pots and pans) and stick your head back in the hole (requires you to be laying on your belly), the model # is displayed on a small sticker. 

Armed with this info, I finally located an on-line supplier and ordered the part.  It came in when I'm on night shift again. I get my tools, take the stove apart, install the new electronic controls, and voila!! everything is working fine.  I tell Jen she's good to go and head upstairs to take a shower.  I get out of the shower and am heading for bed when I hear a commotion downstairs.  I go down to find the &!&!*9 stove reading 5A6 again on the new controller and once again everything locked up.  Jen explains she was trying to set the time again and now I realize that there probably wasn't anything wrong with the original component and I'm out $200.  Frustrated, I go back to bed but get little sleep before heading to work again.

When I get to work I'm tell my buddies what happened when the phone rings.  Its Jen telling me that she got on-line with a tech and found out what was wrong and the stove is now working.  I ask what was wrong and she tells me the stove was stuck in the "sabbath" mode.  I ask her to repeat and again she tells me it was stuck in the "sabbath" mode.  What the Hell is that? I ask.  It seems that for our Jewish friends there is an option to place the stove in a "sabbath" mode which does not allow the controls to be operated and just holds the oven around 100 degrees to keep food warm.  Even the oven light doesn't function when in the mode.  On our particular model, the mode is entered when the "clock" button is held for 4 seconds and can only be released from the mode by again holding the clock button for 4 seconds.  The controller wasn't reading 5A6, it was reading SAb (for Sabbath). I would never have guessed that in a million years ........... and it only cost me $200 to find this out.

Needless to say, I'm now 0-2 in my recent digital battles.....................Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Re: Dirty Ed vs the Digital Age

Ouch that sucks!,,,

I only buy "GO" phones and they are only text and talk.   No need to get a "smart" phone.   80 bucks, and I relocate my sim card from phone to phone since everything is saved on the card.  GO phones are ATT so it works with my plan. I just toss the sim card that comes with the phone in the trash.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I feel your pain. I really do. I consider myself somewhat computer savvy. When one plays on-line FPS as much as I do I figure you have to be.

I have never really liked texting. I feel it is a waste of my time and, to be honest, patience. I have gotten new phones when I need new phones but was not really interested in phones with a lot of "cool" stuff on them. Until the smart phones came out. It was not as if I HAD to have one but I felt it would be cool to have one. I could use the nav system, the interweb if need be and still have a phone I could talk on!

Our contract with our carrier finally expired and we switched to another carrier, (due to customer service issues with our old carrier). I got my "Smart" phone.

I hate it.

My old phones used to go a week between charges. Now, if I do not use the "neat" stuff on the phone the charge will last about a day and a half. If I use the neat stuff it will last less than half a day. If I want to use the phone setting I must open the phone, unlock it, hit the phone icon and then either hunt for the number i need or I have to open the virtual keyboard to punch in the number. If I text, which I try to avoid, the touch screen keyboard is difficult to use as I always hit the wrong "key" so Hello might end up coming our as: Jrkkp.

Really...Good thing I don't have to text anything quickly. It takes me about five minutes to text a simple message.

I was unhappy with the phone within 24 hours of getting it. I wanted real keys to punch and wanted a battery that did not drain quicker than a tub.

The nav, interweb, games and such are nice. I use the phone as an MP3 player when I do my power walks and it has a nice hands free feature when plugged into my car's auxiliary port. But...

It is not neat enough to stop wishing I had my old phone back.

4 (edited by bluejeep 2012-04-24 06:27:19)

I'm old school, if ya can't fix it with a wrench or a bigger hammer, I got no use for it. Did'nt have a computer till 2007 and got my first cell phone (a trac phone) in august 2011. Bought the phone (at the wifes request) because I had to make and emergency trip to Pennsylvania. I only use the computer for Chordie and facebook (so I can stay in touch with friends and grandchildren). Can't work on the new cars, ya need to have a code reader to "talk"to the cars computer to find out what electronic gizmo aint workin. It's been said that old Tom aint got much use for the modern world, he should stay on his mountain and just play his guitar on the back porch. Yep, I kinda think they're right.  Hey Beamer, whats a sim card and can it be installed with a cresent wrench and a hammer?

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

I too think that a phone should be a phone and not have grand ideas about being something else. I invariably call to reply to a text and the camera is an utter waste of time - no viewfinder or zoom, only the stupid screen to see what you are taking - rubbish.

Ed I know where you are coming from. Manufacturers make things so that they cannot be repaired only replaced. They want a 'throwaway society' as there is more profit for them that way.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

My job now, is working from home for a company that handles other companie's tech and customer service issues.  I am cable television tech support.  I click my mouse and reset people's cable boxes from the comfort of my home in my pj's.  Between calls, I play on my smart phone on the internet (because work has internet on my computer blocked from all the FUN websites).  I'm currently looking into getting a new electric oven that has all the electronic bells and whistles.  My cable tv's are connected and can "talk" to one another.  I love technology.

(I'm hiding in my little corner over here, ducking because I have a feeling one of you guys is going to throw your phone at me, and honestly I can totally appreciate that!)

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Ed, I know where your coming from.  My phone is a phone , I don't want anything more. I don't have texting on my phone plan. It's a phone ...to talk to people. My fingers aren't the largest but I do have problems with hitting the correct numbers on my phone.
A friend of mine recently lent me a effects pedal he wanted to sell. I thought I'd give it a try and maybe buy it from him. It was a Digitech with all the bells and whistles. I read thru the owners manual before I ever plugged it in. I thought reading the manual would give me a heads up on how it works. I got the tuner and the effects that he last used and could not change to any other effect.  I reread the manual. Still I couldn't figure out how to operate the pedal. I called him and told him after a couple of hours this wasn't for me. He told me he had problems trying to remember how to get it all working and had bought a different one that was easier to operate.
I think it's great that those that are savvy can operate this stuff and enjoy it. But I'm like Ed and am starting to feel I belong in the Stone Age.

Joe

I am an old fart that just has to have the next newest phone.  All the bells and whistles.  I can't wait for my two year contract to end so I can review and buy the next one.  I use it for FB and yes, this forum sometimes.  I just like the thought of having all the info at my fingertips.  I guess I am unusual.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Like you Pete, I am an old fart and must have my gadgets. Iphone , Ipod, Ipad(with Garageband) and lots of other stuff.
The added bonus to having these is that I get to see my 11 year old grandaughter often as she mentors me in the use of these things.
Maybe that is unusual?
P.S. This is not an advertisment for the above brand, this is just what I have got.

All the best
Bushy

Not one drop of my self worth depends on your acceptance of me.
"Quincy Jones"

I do not have a cell phone,Ido not like having an electronic lease, I have enough Issues with the tv stereo dvr micrwave computer etc.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I am buried in cell phones all day long.  It's the business I'm in.  The cell phone is ceasing to exist, instead becoming a mobile personal computer.   It is going to end up like in the old Star Trek TV shows where you just say "Computer!" and get an answer.

If I won the lottery tomorrow, I'd never look at one again.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

They're already selling the Borg implants.  Except I think they're called "bluetooth", which is weird because they are neither teeth nor blue.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Glad I'm not the only who needs just a phone. I'm in construction and I need a small phone that will fit in my leg pocket. It need to be flip phone cuz I would smash a smart phone screen the first time I lean on something. I was looking to upgrade recently and there were only 3 flips available. I might be out of luck soon.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

My mom wants my dad to take his cell phone with him when he's out with the tractor or the combine.

Dad says, "I like it without a phone; gives me chance to think."

Mom says, "What if you get hurt."

Dad: I'll ride the tractor back to the house.

Mom: What if you get hurt bad?

Dad (thinks for a moment):  Real bad?

Mom (softly): Yeah . . .

Dad (brightly): Well in that case, bury me in the north forty.

Mom: (angrily throwing a dish towel): I'm going to hurt you real bad right now!

Parents!

I was new to the site, only two songs in my songbook and one look at a song i have been trying to finish forever, then the company i work for took my laptop(windows vista) and gave me a new laptop(windows 7) and to make a long story short it has taken a month to get back to the site. I am so glad to get back here i hope to use the site a lot i i love to play, can't read music but can finger pick and play most chords. SO GLAD TO BE BACK.

I haven't heard or understand much of what you folks are talkin about but we did get FM radio here abouts not long ago smile

Later, Wayne P

bluejeep wrote:

Hey Beamer, whats a sim card and can it be installed with a cresent wrench and a hammer?

LOLOLOL sometimes you might think so,,

ATT phones still have a little microchip card called a sim card.  its simple to get to, take off the back of phone and either slide it out of its place or open the little catch and BAM its out and ready to go to the new GO phone or gee whiz phone that ATT makes.  (You can use a hammer or screw driver to destroy the back cover whilest removing the back cover if it makes you feel better ) :-)

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

Tyson7 wrote:

A friend of mine recently lent me a effects pedal he wanted to sell. I thought I'd give it a try and maybe buy it from him. It was a Digitech with all the bells and whistles. I read thru the owners manual before I ever plugged it in. I thought reading the manual would give me a heads up on how it works. I got the tuner and the effects that he last used and could not change to any other effect.  I reread the manual. Still I couldn't figure out how to operate the pedal. I called him and told him after a couple of hours this wasn't for me. He told me he had problems trying to remember how to get it all working and had bought a different one that was easier to operate.
I think it's great that those that are savvy can operate this stuff and enjoy it. But I'm like Ed and am starting to feel I belong in the Stone Age.   Joe

just for your info,,, the higher end digitechs, (well even my rp250) pulg into a computer and you can reach all the effects that way. I have a very old lap top deadicated as a guitar effect so I can easily change the stuff and store/save /. program  the effects.  doing it manually with the nobs is teidious.  My kids have rp 70 and bp80,,, still have not had to get the book out as they like what is storred in them.

(The boss or the vox boards are really cool and easy to dial in)

M.B. wrote:

My mom wants my dad to take his cell phone with him when he's out with the tractor or the combine.

Dad says, "I like it without a phone; gives me chance to think."

Mom says, "What if you get hurt."

Dad: I'll ride the tractor back to the house.

Mom: What if you get hurt bad?

Dad (thinks for a moment):  Real bad?

Mom (softly): Yeah . . .

Dad (brightly): Well in that case, bury me in the north forty.

Mom: (angrily throwing a dish towel): I'm going to hurt you real bad right now!

Parents!

Sounds like your parents are great. thats a healthy exchange you just shared :-)

I forgot the best feature of my new phone. I like to read,alot. I can download books into my phone and read them! That and the music is what I use my phone for most of the time.

I think I'd like your Dad, M.B. My wife always gives me grief about taking off on 2-week canoe trips or even weekend camping or kayaking trips without a cell phone. I just don't understand the need to stay connected to the hive.

So you come from a farm family?  It's easy for us to forget with all the technology we have that we're all on this earth because of the top couple feet of soil and the right amount of rainfall. God bless the farmer.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Yes, technology can be a pain in the a**e (to use the British spelling)! Sabbath Mode!! Oi Vey, whatever next?
My Nokia phone is 10yrs old, and I see no reason to change it, unless it dies or gets lost...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Dirty Ed wrote:

I think I'd like your Dad, M.B. My wife always gives me grief about taking off on 2-week canoe trips or even weekend camping or kayaking trips without a cell phone. I just don't understand the need to stay connected to the hive.

DE

Hi DE,

I think that when girls become moms they turn into worry-warts.  Moms are pretty nice, but they like to tell you what to do. And they want you to stand still so that they can hug you all the time and say things like, "You can't get any older or taller, and that's final!" Then they get mad when you roll your eyes, and tell you in that voice they have, "Just wait till you have children!" And then they go look at your baby pictures and cry.

I wonder . . . am I gonna' be like that? *shudder*

M.B. wrote:

I think that when girls become moms they turn into worry-warts.  Moms are pretty nice, but they like to tell you what to do. And they want you to stand still so that they can hug you all the time and say things like, "You can't get any older or taller, and that's final!" Then they get mad when you roll your eyes, and tell you in that voice they have, "Just wait till you have children!" And then they go look at your baby pictures and cry.

I wonder . . . am I gonna' be like that? *shudder*

I think you just described me and my kids.  LOL!  YES - I guess it's a MOM thing!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.