Topic: In case you were wondering I do stir things at other forums.

I started another "wood" debate about 7:30 this morning. What a hoot and I am learning new things.

Thread here: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/foru … p?t=249592

dj

Re: In case you were wondering I do stir things at other forums.

naolslager wrote:

I started another "wood" debate about 7:30 this morning. What a hoot and I am learning new things.

Thread here: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/foru … p?t=249592

dj

Good for you nao.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I liked the guy who has his own luthier and an extra special dread with a Carpathian spruce top that's strung with titanium strings!  Maybe he's a talented player, but he sounds a little pretentious.

Titanium strings? I thought he was joking. I've never heard of such a thing. I bet his lawn mower has got a plastic flywheel!

M.B. wrote:

. . . but he sounds a little pretentious.

He's not as pretentious as me.  I have a guitar that is made out of wood from the heart of one of those giant walking trees from Lord of the Rings.  The nut and saddle are made from the solidified lava from a Mars volcano, and it is strung with hair from the tail of a unicorn.

When you play it, it sounds like the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing Handel's Hallelujah Chorus (and that's when it's out of tune).

It's a pretty good guitar.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Astronomikal wrote:
M.B. wrote:

. . . but he sounds a little pretentious.

He's not as pretentious as me.  I have a guitar that is made out of wood from the heart of one of those giant walking trees from Lord of the Rings.  The nut and saddle are made from the solidified lava from a Mars volcano, and it is strung with hair from the tail of a unicorn.

When you play it, it sounds like the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing Handel's Hallelujah Chorus (and that's when it's out of tune).

It's a pretty good guitar.

I'm reporting your comment for being too funny!

Reminds me, I'm forced to sell a very special guitar . . .

For Sale: vintage 3/4 sized 2003 Fischer-Price, Sing-n-Strum. The back and sides are old growth Taiwanese Polypropylene, and the top is virgin Polycarbonate (DDF+), extruded by hand in Moline, Illinois. The neck is wood-grained Polyvinyl Chloride and features an image of My Little Pony hand-painted by my little brother in purple Glitter Glue. The tuning machines are entirely decorative and the knobs are real butter beans from last Thanksgiving. The pegs are genuine faux ivory and the strings were recoverd from a screen door my dad found at the dump. The clarity, note definition, projection, and headroom on this guitar is astonishing. If your farts don't smell, call now for a price quote. Serious inquiries only!

That was excellent.  Two things:

1.  You ought to start a "See if you can top this" thread for people to post their most pretentious guitar description, similar to what we did.  This current conversation will get lost since it's off topic.  Just a thought.  The results might be funny.  Your call.

2.  I'm sure you have been told before that you are a very creative and descriptive writer.  I predict you are going to be very wealthy one day (hit songrwiter, novelist or whatever) if you channel your talents.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Hi Astro!

Yeah, you're right, we're getting into topic drift, but it was fun while it lasted. Your funny post was an inspiration to me. I really appreciate your supportive comments! I liked what you said about channeling your talents. I think that it could be difficult to do, because it means really committing to something and having strong faith in your ability, even when things aren't going too good. 

I just remembered something I read: A professional is just an amateur who didn't give up. But it must take a lot of courage (or fortitude, or nerve, or arrogance, etc.) not to give up.

M.B. wrote:

... it must take a lot of courage (or fortitude, or nerve, or arrogance, etc.) not to give up.

Not necessarily.  People rarely become successful at something they are not passionate about.  So if you are absolutely passionate about (for example) writing, it becomes relatively easy to persevere because writing is in your nature, and you would be more apt to do it just for fun during slow periods.  It would go against your grain to NOT do it.  And even doing it just for fun will make you better at it.

There are a number of good quotes around that subject.  One of my favorites is:  "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."  - Henry Ford (I think).

Here's another one:

"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity." - (not sure)

Id really, really, like to check out the vids of the factories where these guitars are made!!  Very creative-good laugh!
  Thanks.      Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

papaguitar wrote:

Id really, really, like to check out the vids of the factories where these guitars are made!!  Very creative-good laugh!
  Thanks.      Mike

I would too but I think I would have too wear a laugh muzzle.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Talk about passion, check out my thread on the other forum. Very entertaining!

"Young's Modulus" Really?!

naolslager wrote:

Talk about passion, check out my thread on the other forum. Very entertaining!

"Young's Modulus" Really?!

You're right.  That was entertaining.  It was also weird.

Look, I get that there is a "science" behind almost everything.  I'm an engineer, so it's my nature to wonder why certain things work better than others.

However, in the case of guitar construction and what "sounds best", I personally think it has do with the PLAYER as much (if not more) than the instrument and what it is made from.  We've all heard the stories about how a guy took a $50 guitar into a guitar shop and the guy behind the counter made it sound like a $4000 Taylor.  Maybe those stories are urban legends, but Glen Campbell made some pretty good sounds come out of a guitar that was made outta freakin' matchsticks for cryin' out loud:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2VNdDV6Vzo

Wonder what the Young's modulus is on a matchstick?  But I digress.

My point is that regardless of the guitar's construction, there's someone out there who can make it sound good.  If it's my guitar, it's ME if I practice long enough.  Heck, there's even a wizard who can make MB's aforementioned "Sing-n-Strum" sound good.

OK, maybe not . . .

14 (edited by dino48 2012-04-30 19:46:50)

Thats an amazing guitar,the man who made it must have alot of patience.