Topic: Ugh

I worked much of the day in my attic today, cleaning it out for the exterminators to come tomorrow and make a REALLY big mess.  Spider webs, dust, grit.  I just can't get feeling clean even though I've taken a hot shower.  I came down hoping someone would be Skyping, but no such luck this Sunday evening. 

I hope my life settles down enough to catch up with some folks soon.  We only did it for a few weeks before I was overtaken by events, and I already miss them tremendously.  Maybe I need to send some Jack and Coke up to MKM to give her an excuse...

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

2 (edited by dino48 2012-04-30 01:38:29)

Re: Ugh

Got to look on the bright side,it could have been the middle of summer and really hot up there. So whats bugging you?

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

3 (edited by naolslager 2012-04-30 02:27:55)

Ugh! is right. Zurf, I feel your pain.

My washing machine repair a few weeks ago resurfaced today when the laundry room and basement were flooded! Apparently while I was fiddling with the machine I inadvertently caused a vacuum line to begin working it's way loose. So today, after three weeks and many loads of laundry, it came off the water level switch basically telling it the drum was not full yet, not full yet. Holy crap! What a mess.

Our AC vents are in the floor so the one in the laundry room provided a perfect escape for God knows how much water. My AC return air line filled with water and then began leaking in the basement. Ceiling tiles destroyed, furniture and carpet wet, and my BRAND NEW AC unit may be damaged.

Of course I had no way of knowing what my day would offer this morning while my daughter and I enjoyed an 8 mile run. I ran right into a mess which has absorbed the day and all my energy. The water-remover people are still here. Help me Ronda!

Man I could use a still drink but I'm afraid I'd fall asleep on the couch. I need these guys to leave first.

So Zurf, I raise a virtual glass of Woodford Reserve Bourbon to you.
dj

p.s. I almost forgot an additional near disaster. One of my guitars got wet. Mainly the headstock and the first 5-6 frets. I dried it off. No harm done. Whew!

I'm with Dino. There's always a bright side. Zurf was able to get in the attic and clean it out, take a hot shower, and has some picking time to look forward to. Dj had a chance to enjoy his daughters company and the fresh air outside. Despite how rough things are, they can always be worse. I say raise a glass and be thankful for all we can do and all we have. Then, strum that thing it's collecting dust!!!!!!

Glad your guitar didn't drown Dj!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

These type of responses is what makes this forum a great place to be. Thanks!

We dealt with a flood a couple years ago DJ.  I don't envy the work ahead of you at all. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

7 (edited by Dirty Ed 2012-05-01 01:25:03)

naolslager wrote:

My washing machine repair a few weeks ago resurfaced today when the laundry room and basement were flooded! Apparently while I was fiddling with the machine I inadvertently caused a vacuum line to begin working it's way loose. So today, after three weeks and many loads of laundry, it came off the water level switch basically telling it the drum was not full yet, not full yet. Holy crap! What a mess.

Our AC vents are in the floor so the one in the laundry room provided a perfect escape for God knows how much water. My AC return air line filled with water and then began leaking in the basement. Ceiling tiles destroyed, furniture and carpet wet, and my BRAND NEW AC unit may be damaged.

Of course I had no way of knowing what my day would offer this morning while my daughter and I enjoyed an 8 mile run. I ran right into a mess which has absorbed the day and all my energy. The water-remover people are still here. Help me Ronda!

Man I could use a still drink but I'm afraid I'd fall asleep on the couch. I need these guys to leave first.

dj

p.s. I almost forgot an additional near disaster. One of my guitars got wet. Mainly the headstock and the first 5-6 frets. I dried it off. No harm done. Whew!

No virtual bourbon here Zurf, I'm raising a real glass of Woodford Reserve.  In fact I'm raising my second glass.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Dirty Ed wrote:
naolslager wrote:

dj

No virtual bourbon here Zurf, I'm raising a real glass of Woodford Reserve.  In fact I'm raising my second glass.

DE

Hey.  Aren't you retired now?  You've got to buy the cheap stuff.  Send that Woodford down here.

Well, funny thing... I was just thinking of you (Zurf) last night as I was sitting here at my desk working... and tiny ants started coming out of nowhere.  AHHHH!  I'll be headed to the store today for poison, spray, bait traps, etc.  There's nothing quite like typing and having an ant crawl up your sleeve.  OMG!  I don't know what they want with me or my desk.  It's clean, there's no spills, but they seem to like this space more than any other in the house.

This of course is no major ordeal like you guys are having.  On the other hand, Jim's been working 7 days a week, 12 hours a day getting home after I'm already working and leaving before I'm awake.  If I wasn't working from home, I wouldn't see him awake at all.  Luckily I take a 15 minute break, and after kissing the kids goodnight, using the rest room, filling my tea, etc, I get to give him a kiss and get back to work.  I think I preferred him working out of town to him working in town but never seeing him.  Hence, my lack of being available for skype.  The kids are missing him terrible as well and requiring a lot more of my time, and my days off allow me at least an hour of trying to catch up with him on all the important things (tho we still haven't had time for the fun things... like Jack and Coke). 

This all should come to an end soon... well, at least the 7 days a week will.  Hopefully we'll all get back to normal and be able to resume our Thursdays and possibly Sundays.  I'll keep you posted!!!!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

mekidsmom wrote:

Well, funny thing... I was just thinking of you (Zurf) last night as I was sitting here at my desk working... and tiny ants started coming out of nowhere.  AHHHH!  I'll be headed to the store today for poison, spray, bait traps, etc.  There's nothing quite like typing and having an ant crawl up your sleeve.  OMG!  I don't know what they want with me or my desk.  It's clean, there's no spills, but they seem to like this space more than any other in the house.

This of course is no major ordeal like you guys are having.  On the other hand, Jim's been working 7 days a week, 12 hours a day getting home after I'm already working and leaving before I'm awake.  If I wasn't working from home, I wouldn't see him awake at all.  Luckily I take a 15 minute break, and after kissing the kids goodnight, using the rest room, filling my tea, etc, I get to give him a kiss and get back to work.  I think I preferred him working out of town to him working in town but never seeing him.  Hence, my lack of being available for skype.  The kids are missing him terrible as well and requiring a lot more of my time, and my days off allow me at least an hour of trying to catch up with him on all the important things (tho we still haven't had time for the fun things... like Jack and Coke). 

This all should come to an end soon... well, at least the 7 days a week will.  Hopefully we'll all get back to normal and be able to resume our Thursdays and possibly Sundays.  I'll keep you posted!!!!

I feel your pain MKM.  Back in the 80's I worked as a test engineer at a couple nuclear power plant startups.  Schedule was 7-12's for three years. Made a lot of money but it sure was tough.  I volunteered for all night shifts so I could see the kids before they left for school and then again for a couple hours in the evenings before I left for work again.  Hang in there - and be thankful that at least Jim is working during these tough times.

DE

"Hey.  Aren't you retired now?  You've got to buy the cheap stuff.  Send that Woodford down here"..... (Zurf)

Yeah, I received the Woodford as a retirement gift from a friend, along with a bottle of Midleton's Very Rare Irish Whiskey from a co-worker.  When those run out it'll be Ezra Brooks and Yuengling again.

DE

12 (edited by beamer 2012-05-01 22:45:53)

NOTHING WRONG WITH YUENGLING! lol   ADD a little bit of Smithwicks in there and it will be a fine party for your taste buds big_smile

or just follow the advice of my tag line,,, and mix a Black Tooth Grin if its harder stuff you need for medicinal purpose big_smile

(One part Crown, one part segrems 7, an add coke to color)

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

beamer wrote:

NOTHING WRONG WITH YUENGLING! lol   ADD a little bit of Smithwicks in there and it will be a fine party for your taste buds big_smile

or just follow the advice of my tag line,,, and mix a Black Tooth Grin if its harder stuff you need for medicinal purpose big_smile

(One part Crown, one part segrems 7, an add coke to color)

I agree with your Yuengling comment. (Or Yumling as I prefer to call it.).  Its the beer I've drank 90% of the time the last dozen years or so.  I've never really liked adding soda to whiskey - make mine on the rocks or maybe a dash of branch water. Except for shine - I never have been able to drink it straight - Apple Pie is my favorite version although a little peaches or berries mixed in helps.

DE

DE for the reason for black tooth grin,
The name of the drink comes from a lyric in the Megadeth song "Sweating Bullets". "Some day you too will know my pain, and smile its blacktooth grin"

and it was Dimebag darryls favorite drink.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Yuengling no more. I cannot drink this beer. Apparently I am hyper-allergic to it. within minutes my sinuses are running like a faucet and I will sneeze for the rest of the night. In the last year or so some beers have started to affect me like this but especially Yuengling. A decent beer otherwise IMO.

Bourbon does NOT affect me this way but has other side affects most of which are predictable if not desired.

Come June, Soiled Eduardo, I'll let you sip on whatever bourbon I bring along.  I've been enjoying sampling different premium bourbons.  Jefferson's Very Small Batch is my favorite, but my local store doesn't carry it.  Roger usually shows up with a pretty full bar, too.  Yeungling isn't my favorite beer, but it's my most frequently consumed beer.  It tastes good and sells for a fair price.  My favorite is Samuel Smith's oatmeal stout, and that's just not affordable for anything but a special hankering (and I'd better not hanker all that often). 

Sorry to hear of your allergies naoslager.  I've got a similar thing, in that any Bud product triggers a migraine for me.  I often get offered a beer, and though its rude to do so I will confirm that it's not a Bud or Bud Light.  I've got nothing against anyone drinking whatever beer they prefer, but there's no faster way to crippling pain for me than to drink 1/2 of a Bud Light. 

- Zurf

Dirty Ed wrote:

I feel your pain MKM.  Back in the 80's I worked as a test engineer at a couple nuclear power plant startups.  Schedule was 7-12's for three years. Made a lot of money but it sure was tough.  I volunteered for all night shifts so I could see the kids before they left for school and then again for a couple hours in the evenings before I left for work again.  Hang in there - and be thankful that at least Jim is working during these tough times.

DE

Well then you will clearly appreciate more than many... he's working a shut down at Nine Mile Nuclear Plant.  Luckily, the shut down is only scheduled for two months (one month down, one to go) - and I think "his job" will be ending soon, or at least waning so he'll have Sundays off again.  I can't imagine watching him-or anyone- do this type of work for THREE YEARS!  wow!  They already ended the night shift, so I guess it's a good thing he didn't volunteer for that.  He started out assisting in the welding shop to get all the workers certified.  While in there, he also got his certification for the boilermaker welding, but they didn't end up needing him for that... yet.  I just wish he'd get back with a company that could offer a truck and gas card again.  Ahhhh... those were the days!  The gas for driving 2-4 hours a day surely cuts into Jim's paycheck, but we can't complain about the money coming in for working 7-12's.  Fingers crossed that the next job is a nice easy peasy 40 hour week w/ a foreman's truck and gas card.  We all miss him!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.