Topic: Sliced finger, can't play.

I cut the side of my left index finger on some metal on the middle knuckle. Probably should have had a couple stitches but was to stubborn to see the Dr. I can't get any chords just now because it stings with pain every time I bend it or put pressure on it. So..I guess I'll have to wait until it's better until I can play anymore. My question is, does anyone have any ideas of how to get rid of the soreness?

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Re: Sliced finger, can't play.

I fell your pain Cam. It wouldn't be a days work if I didn't come home with a cut, scrape ,splinter, smashed, or bruised hand. I say give it a couple days to heal up and then give it another try. Hands seem to heal faster than other parts of the body. Maybe some tylenol or advil for the pain.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

cameronkl7 wrote:

My question is, does anyone have any ideas of how to get rid of the soreness?

Ice

Alcohol

Both topically and orally in your mixture of choice. I prefer a a stronger percentage of ice on the wound and alcohol down the gut, you may need to experiment to find what works best for you.

Happy Healing!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Well, bruises and such it is RICE: Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.   If it's a throbbing kind of pain, I bet elevation will help.  Sit down or lay down and put your hand in a comfortable position higher than your heart.  General soreness I think is best relieved by Tylenol, which is more of a pain blocker than anything.  It tricks your body into not feeling the pain.  If it's swelling that's causing the pain, then both elevation and some ibuprofen, and maybe some ice too. 

I hope you get to feeling better quickly. 

That finger that I smashed a few months ago is still kind of numb.  I don't think it's ever going to be sensitive again, so I'm learning to compensate by paying attention to the pressure on a pick against my thumb instead of against my finger's knuckle like I used to.  The nail is getting ready to fall off, but there's a new one growing under it already, so I think it'll be OK.  These sorts of inconveniences let us know that we're alive. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Thats got to be painfull I agree with the three opinons above,hope it heals quickly cam.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Anti-bacterial ointment, stretchy band-aide, super glue over sore spot and band-aide(super glue mixed with human blood is not good)- in that order...Change frequently

ps-let super glue dry before playing guitar C:

Give everything but up.

I'm in agreement with the ice, tylenol and alcohol.  Other than that, time should heal it.  I feel your pain brother.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I'd say this is a great opportunity to practice open position chords without using your index finger...build up the independence of the ring finger and pinky. smile

see the 'hey there' post. I drilled through th end of my index finger left hand . just kept on trying until it didnt hurt . I had a go at playing the chords without the index finger but struggled with that.Finger still feels funny after four and a half months but at least it doesnt hurt and I can enjoy my stuff again.

the chordie geordie

Thanks for all the tips guys, it was much appreciated, feels a little better today. I've iced it and held it up some, but when I reach down it still throbs with pain. Thanks again for all the tips.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

11 (edited by Stratplayer 2012-05-07 23:18:24)

Hey Cam, try some Neosporin + Pain. you can get it at walmart or CVS or any drug store. I do some wood carving and get a lot of cuts and nicks. Its a good antibotic and the mild pain reliever helps. Still might not be able to play for a couple  of days but it helps with healing