1 (edited by easybeat 2012-05-12 23:14:28)

Topic: 3D guitar

Thought you may find this interesting?
http://static.stuff.co.nz/1336858992/450/6911450.jpg

They're shiny, eye-catching and hold a great tune.

And a leading academic has described the process involved in producing his state-of-the-art guitars as "the next industrial revolution".

Olaf Diegel – a professor based at Massey University's School of Engineering and Advanced Technology – has produced a series of prototypes of 3D-printed electric guitars.

Also known as additive manufacturing, 3D printing is the process of making three-dimensional solid objects from a digital file using a printer that deposits layers of plastic or metal powder, with each layer fused by a precision laser beam.

"The whole purpose is customisation and trying to avoid waste," Diegel said.

"It's the next big thing in manufacturing, because you can create to order and modify the design to suit specific individual requirements, whether it's for a new set of teeth, a door handle or a piece of jewellery.

"It's the next industrial revolution and it's going to completely change the way we do things.

"New Zealand, a country largely made up of small companies making high-value products, can benefit enormously from these technologies, as they will be able to go to market with products without the current prohibitive tooling costs that often prevent them from getting their ideas off the ground."

The guitar's manufacturing process is already used for high-end customised products and medical parts such as artificial hips, hearing aids and dental fittings.

Diegel's faculty has several desktop 3D printers, which students use for small-scale engineering prototype projects.

The King Of Audio Torture

2 (edited by Astronomikal 2012-05-12 23:58:25)

Re: 3D guitar

I do find it interesting.  Thanks for sharing.

I've heard of this 3D priniting techmology before.  It's pretty cool.  This guitar is much more "hollow" than a typical hollow-body electric, so I wonder how the weight balance is, i.e., is it top-heavy?

'Nom

Edit:  PS:  I get your signature.  I wonder how many other people do?  smile

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

3d printing has been around for awhile. It used to be used to make a part so a mold could be made of said part and then lots of said parts could be made from the mold. It's especially good for test fits and that sort of thing because the plastic can be easily worked. That way you don't have the high cost of machining a new part that doesn't fit. Cool stuff tho. I don't know if will completely change the way things are done. As I understand it, 3d printing isn't a good choice for production work. Molten plastic and molds are still much faster than 3d printing. But it does fill a niche and would be a cool toy to have.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds intersting. I think ovation may have had something similar in mind when they started thier computer designed guitar's.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman