Topic: Donald(duck)Dunne Died

Looks like we lost another rocker he died at the age of seventy, and I think he was in Tokyo. Really enjoyed him especilly when he was in the Blues Brothers movie.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Re: Donald(duck)Dunne Died

Awww.  If you ask me, he's among the best rock, soul, and blues bassists that's ever been.  Plus he looked like somebody's uncle with his pipes and cardigans on stage.  I only saw him live once, when he was playing with Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.  Neil Young and Steven Stills played so hard that David Crosby gave up, grabbed a stool from the acoustic set, turned his back to the audience and watched the show.  Graham Nash was playing along, but only playing chords on the keyboard.  No riffs or solos.  But Duck Dunne, he was right in the mix and rocking hard.  The best.  The absolute best. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Duck Dunn ranks right up there with Entwistle as one of the great bassists of all time. RIP Duck.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I don't know very much about Mr. Dunn, but I did find this great video of him playing with the "Stax Volt Tour of Norway" from 1967.  The music is excellent, but my favorite part is watching Norwegians rock out to American soul music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … Ky-a6d1I#!

That bass line in the song that all bassists learn in early sessions (and I have since forgotten), it's even dubbed the "Green Onions feel", Duck Dunne created that.  You hear it everywhere in soul and blues.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Duck Dunn , RIP. On the mark everytime.

Joe

7 (edited by dino48 2012-05-14 22:45:35)

M.B. wrote:

I don't know very much about Mr. Dunn, but I did find this great video of him playing with the "Stax Volt Tour of Norway" from 1967.  The music is excellent, but my favorite part is watching Norwegians rock out to American soul music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … Ky-a6d1I#!

Mb that was a great video of him,evertime I hear green onions it reminds me of American Graffiti and the racing scene! Zurf I can see why they it the green onion feel.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Yeah, Dino, I've developed a "taste" for Green Onions myself. Har-de-har-har. I think that in that video, Donald Dunn kinda looks like the actor Tim Robbins.

9 (edited by beamer 2012-05-15 03:16:03)

MB, if you have never watched THE BLUES BROTHERS you gotta rent it.  Its an all time classic.  Classic Line by Mr. Dunn when the band is getting put back together "We had a band that was powerful enough to turn goat piss into gasoline!" Donald Dunn_
and  question  "what key for rawhide" Mr. Dunn " A ,  good key for country" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdR6MN2j … ure=relmfu

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrmYSAmm … re=related

Duck and Cropper w/ the original Booker T

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

M.B. wrote:

Yeah, Dino, I've developed a "taste" for Green Onions myself. Har-de-har-har. I think that in that video, Donald Dunn kinda looks like the actor Tim Robbins.

MB thats the answer,I thought he looked like someone famous and he is similar looking too tim robbins!!

beamer wrote:

MB, if you have never watched THE BLUES BROTHERS you gotta rent it.  Its an all time classic.  Classic Line by Mr. Dunn when the band is getting put back together "We had a band that was powerful enough to turn goat piss into gasoline!" Donald Dunn_
and  question  "what key for rawhide" Mr. Dunn " A ,  good key for country" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdR6MN2j … ure=relmfu

Thanks, for the link, Beamer. I got a big laugh out of them doing "Rawhide"! I'll have to check out the "Blues Brother's" on Netflix. My dad said he saw it the summer he graduated from high school and loved it and he wants to see it again.

13 (edited by beamer 2012-05-16 03:02:10)

your so welcome big_smile

The movie has soul and blues legends in it, here is one you may or may not know
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryXCGm0YP_E

Blues Brothers is fantastic.  So many good one-liners from that movie.  The follow up of Blues Brothers 2000 with John Goodman instead of John Belushi is worth watching for some of the performances, but doesn't stand up to the original for inanity.

15 (edited by dino48 2012-05-16 21:22:26)

Zurf wrote:

Blues Brothers is fantastic.  So many good one-liners from that movie.  The follow up of Blues Brothers 2000 with John Goodman instead of John Belushi is worth watching for some of the performances, but doesn't stand up to the original for inanity.

Zurf thats true, the best part of the 2000 #2 I think was all the great legandary performers in it at the end where they had the big jam session.